Anybody Here Think Keurig Makes Better Coffee Than Drip?

Really? Is Keurig this bad compared to a simple drip?

1 Like

Easy to use, always fresh, we can choose the coffee. and it travels with us.
We also have a Chemex that we use at home. www.chemexcoffeemaker.com

Keurig bad.

10 Likes

Yes. Ive tried different Kcups, Ive tried loading my own, Ive tried a full pot. It will do if theres no other option (like a hotel room) but I just dont like the coffee.

(I own a drip machine, a Nespresso Latissima, a moka pot, a cold press, a French press, a Turkish pot, an Aeropress, a Melitta pour over cone, and instant…and the Keurig comes in just ahead of instant at the bottom of the pile)

(I was also amazed how quickly the coffee cooled in the Keurig pot. My Hamilton Beach drip machine will keep coffee hot til noon, and drinkable through the afternoon. The Keurig pot was cold in a couple of hours.

1 Like

Well, figure this into the calculus. We each drink 2-3 cups each morning. Wahine gets up maybe 90 minutes before me and starts the brew. I don’t mind the first cup, my second is iffy, and I want to throw the third out. On the days she gets an early liftoff, the pot may have sat on the heat for 3 hours before my feet hit the floor.

If it were just me (and I wanted just ONE very good cup), I’d just use the Aeropress. But making 4-6 separate cups that way just isn’t practical. I thought for the "extra’ cup, this combo machine might be nice…

FWIW, have to say that I’ve never had a K-cup in any setting I thought was bad.

I agree, but in my opinion sitting on a hot plate for an hour or two causes different degradation than sitting that long in a carafe.

2 Likes

Yep

I ‘ve had these since the beginning. Kept one in my office desk, with filters and Illy coffee. Can’t be beat. Great coffee can be made very simply. Maybe that’s the problem.

2 Likes

I would go for just the little sand bath.

1 Like

I think so. My oldest 2 daughters asked for them for college, used them a bit, then went to thrift for a regular drip machine. I’ve never thought they made “good” coffee, but the pre-made pods were especially bad. The fill-yerself pods they got weren’t as bad if you used middling decent coffee (think “Community Coffee” and the like). But those (then, this is a few years back) also tended to spill a fair bit of grinds. Today the fill-yerself pods might be better.

1 Like

Ooh. My silly self would buy it because it looks cool

2 Likes

I will never leave coffee on a heated plate for even a minute if I can help it. It goes straight into a cup or a good quality thermos when the drip is over. Old fashioned perked urn coffee is better than this. If you are going to wind up drink coffee that has been kept on the plate you would be better off using a coffee making unit of whatever method without a burner.
I did appreciate the office Keurigs over the prior pots in my old office for that reason and keurigs are usually better than the hotel drip units one finds

1 Like

I drink about 3 10-12 ounce cups from my Bonavita with thermal carafe, and they are all good. My coffee, however, does not sit around long cooling.

Interesting to know. In that case, the problem is not simply the mechanism.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

fill it yourself pods sound like a hassle - rather use my middle of the road espresso machine or drip

The breadth of the drip coffee experience is wide.

For me, stale Maxwell house break room coffee is about the worst drip experience. A single cup pour over in a boutique cafe that roasts their own single origin beans is probably about the best.

Keurig narrows that breadth into a small window that I would say is near the ~40th-50th percentile of the range of drip coffee experience.

My drip machine is a moccamaster that somewhat approximates pour over coffee. When the amount of coffee is weighed, the beans freshly ground for the pot, and the beans relatively near peak of freshness, and the water filtered, then there is no comparison. I would estimate the moccamaster produces drip coffee around 85th percentile in the range of drip coffee experience, similar to other SCAA certified machines.

4 Likes

The hotels I’ve been to lately (mostly middle of the road Marriott, Hyatt, etc) have small drip machines where you open a packet that contains a single serve sized white mesh sealed round envelope of ground coffee. It makes one cup at a time. It’s pretty low tech drip coffee, and yes it does hit the spot on a weekend morning, but nothing special. Probably similar quality to most k cups.

Have you tried Mount Hagen instant coffee? I would encourage buying some and conducting blind taste tests.

Those little white mesh packets are, I’m fairly sure, made from the socks found left behind by the housekeeping staff. Its the only way to explain how awful the coffee is.

And why I have thr Aeropress. It travels with me for hotel coffee.

2 Likes

I just have so many choices for coffee in my house that instant is the final hail Mary.