Anybody growing aliums?

Sorry to hear that, @kobuta. Mine broke through the mulch a couple of weeks ago and are coming along slowly but surely. I need to start fertilizing and also pull some pesky tulips that escaped my reach when I planted the garlic - they are last year’s bulbs so they won’t flower, but I don’t need them competing with my garlic for space and nutrients.

That’s too bad, @kobuta. My garlic is growing again this year, which I’m very excited about after a total failure last year.

Yeah, we had an extremely wet fall and winter (not always as snow, thankfully) so it was just rotten luck (pun intended). I at least have the 5-6 bulbs in the patch next to it that are growing, so I hope those turn out well enough so I can save a few as planters for the fall.

Lots of allium bursting out. A bit crowded maybe, forgot where the old ones were when I planted the new ones last fall.

2 Likes

It’s time!

My chives ciboulette died a few weeks before due to bugs infestation. If not, I’ve only grown decorative aliums in the past.

Sorry about your but situation! I just planted onion seedlings, cut back chives, and ordered shallots and garlic yet again. I usually have good luck with shallots, but I swear this is my last shot with garlic.

I planted my garlic a couple of weeks ago but I have some decorative alliums left to plant - I got sucked into an end of season bulb sale at Van Engelen. I planted 150 tulips, 200 muscari and 75 hyacinths today and I had to break through some frozen top soil to do so. Hoping for a couple of mild days in the next couple of weeks to get the rest of my haul in the ground!

2 Likes

That’s going to be beautiful!

1 Like

One year, I had done the same: about the same amount of bulbs of tulips and muscari and some decorative aliums, the tulips were of different varieties. I was expecting to be spectacular in spring around May. They opened, sporadically over a period from April till early July. I guess a professional might have techniques to advance or delay the flourish period and have everything open the same time.

1 Like

Yes, if you want everything to open at once, you have to choose your varieties carefully because some open much earlier than others. I like having some different bloom times in different spots throughout my yard, but I try to pair things that open together in each clump.

2 Likes

Great advice!

1 Like

Seems like so much work ( especially for something you can’t eat! :relaxed:)Do most of them come back every year? Traditional tulips don’t where I live, but species tulips and other "Mediterranean"bulbs do. Those are as much as I can handle.

3 Likes

I actually haven’t had much success with traditional tulips, and I’ve decided this will be my last year planting them if they don’t do well. I put them in my sunniest spot and away from the area that deer visit, so hopefully I’ll get some blooms! They don’t come back for me but I adore them, so I am willing to do the work of replanting each year IF I get flowers. However, species tulips performed well for me last year so I am hoping they perennialize. I planted a couple hundred more of them this fall as well - they are tiny so you need a lot to make an impact, but I love them!

1 Like

bitmoji-20190701090517

1 Like

Thread revival!

This looks like the place to document the progress of my Hamama Home Scallion Kit. @Rooster

Day 2

Day 5

When I use the clippings from these now in my fridge I’ll buy more scallions and put them in the other half of the tray, as they suggest staggering the growth to always have fresh scallions.

5 Likes

That’s fantastic @TheCookie! Good for you.

1 Like

Nice "get-up "! Thanks for reviving this. Time to try again.

1 Like

Cool! Do you ever use fertilizer in the bottom tray?

1 Like

Do the mats have nutrients? Or you have to add things?
Looks great. I love having scallions on hand.

1 Like