Lunch 2021

Today was a good lunch day.

6 Likes

Haha… thanks @Rooster! Sometimes it’s just PB&J. But eating better during the day is definitely one of the benefits of now working from home.

1 Like

:wink:. I agree, better eats since cutting back on working.

Lol it does cause me to get in the weeds and work late sometimes… but it’s worth it. :wink: Covid glass half full.

Today’s Lunch

Vegan Lox Spread, Labneh, Persian Cucumber, Red Onion, Sunflower & Radish Sprouts, Dill, Ikura (salmon roe) on Multigrain Porridge Bread.

9 Likes

Very nice; great combination of flavors.

1 Like

Btw… I bought this Scallion Kit from Hamama. Idk if you remember months ago I mentioned having a hard time finding a particular sprout (sunflower) and you rec’d Hamama to grow my own. Well, I found a good sprout vendor at a local farmers market. But! My scallions always go bad before I use them all, so I bought this. Wish me luck.

5 Likes

That’s cool. I saw it advertised in their newsletter. I will enjoy seeing how you make out growing scallions.

1 Like

It’s very easy to grow. Put a few in a cup of water until roots start to grow then put them in a pot or the ground.

Meanwhile in China, they grow it anywhere. Sometimes right next to the highway or busy roads and they are covered in black exhaust and dirt. Terrible.

I start eating when the last green onion ring is removed from my food.

3 Likes

Korean-style roe stew with spicy ssamjang and kimchi. Now I know what I’ll order at the seafood stall in Korea!

Fish are sold with offal either intact or separately. Photos I took at the market in Busan. There are food stalls at the edge of the fish market where you can choose the creatures and they cook them for you. These are the stalls where locals go to, cheaper than in the main building, which is absolutely amazing and very touristy, not to mention the price, but it’s a great experience.

Don’t think fish guts are for me

Huge fresh roe (black lobes). Not sure what kind of fish produces these.

It’s started snowing an hour ago, very dark outside already at 4pm. I have brightened the photo a bit.

5 Likes

Haha… I figured as much, especially considering how easy they’re already growing in the Hamama tray. If you see the green nubs on the top, that’s from one day. But! I’m still glad I got the tray. We live in a triplex (3 apartments of all family!) and my cousin who is having the backyard completely dug up and re-done has a very sterile aesthetic. Us gals had to fight to keep the lemon tree and put in some African daisies for color. Anyway, I’m already pushing the envelope with all the plants, herbs & such on my patio. The green onions don’t need direct sun and I can grow inside in a window… to make a long story short, lol.

P.S. I love, love that little rooftop garden on your last pic.

2 Likes

I remember eating this in China

The rest of the meal

They brought this plate of abalones to our table but we didn’t order it. Anyway, they took it to another table as soon as I was done making the photo. The meal cost 235 yuan = 30 euros

I recreated the scallop dish today

The snow yesterday didn’t last. I’m going to the local weekly market tomorrow afternoon so it’s a good thing I don’t have to bike through slippery snow/ice/slush.

7 Likes

Another potato and onion frittata.

9 Likes

Creamed spinach, omelette, bacon, bloody Maria.

9 Likes

Beautiful photos. I knew I should’ve bought that bag of shells at the cruise-line warehouse sale I went to. :smirk:

I have used the big shells for these before.

But I actually wanted to save the shells for a garden mobile which I never got around to making. It requires drilling holes using a power tool. One of these days. Otherwise I usually make plant borders with them (and oyster shells).

6 Likes

It’s a great presentation.

Question: It’s doubtful that I have the patience for such precision, but I was wondering why & how you score the tops of the scallops?

1 Like

Just a sharp knife. 3 times vertically, 3 times horizontally. Take care not to cut too deeply. The flesh is tender it’s easy to accidentally slash it half way.

Score king trumpet in the same way and tell your friends/family they are “scallops” :shushing_face:

6 Likes

Thanks! I have small scallops right now, but may try it when I have larger ones. It looks great, but curious, what is the reason for scoring? Cooks more evenly?

Good tip on doing the shrooms too. It’s nice to make things look special and less like an afterthought for the vegetarians.

For aesthetic reasons. The pattern appears when heat is introduced and makes the scallops look nice.

3 Likes

I’m going to try it.

1 Like