Anybody growing aliums?

Hi @bogman & @Elsieb -

I just used the Coco Mat provided (3) and followed the instructions. Note: I don’t get a lot of sun inside, so I’ve put them outside a couple of times, but that’s it. Easy peasy.

It’s a bit pricey but not when you think about how many onions you throw away. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

The problem is, I like to eat the white part of the onion too. :rofl:

3 Likes

I know. I was thinking about that too. We’ll see how far down I can clip. TBC…

Have you tried leaving the scallions in long enough so that the bulbs split and form new ones? Might be too early to see that, and may depend on the width of each hole.

The ones in my garden will eventually split into mini bulbs so I can get more scallions, even if I decide to use up the white parts too on a few of the stalls. They do take a longer time to grow to that state.

2 Likes

We use a ton of green onions. DH planted scallion seeds for the first time last year, repeating seeding as we used them. I was dubious but they were an easy project. The only problem continuing the reseeding.

1 Like

Following earlier suggestions on this forum, we regenerated several scallions by simply placing the bottom 1 1/2 of scallions in an inch of water in a small glass. I used the resulting greens for a month or so before quitting.

2 Likes

No, this is my time using the tray. I’ll try leaving them in longer and experiment as I get more familiar with the growing process. I’ll keep posting progress.

1 Like

Day 8

Kinda’ thin.

5 Likes

Outstanding

1 Like

Cool, huh?

1 Like

Very :grin:

1 Like

Funny that you describe them as kinda thin, because my first reaction was “wow, those are some robust and ‘thick’ scallions”. I have no idea what I grow in my garden, but those scallions are much more spindly, compared to yours and what we typically see in the market. It takes a while for them to reach a bulb size where they’ll grow close to what I would consider normal sized green onions. They are extremely aromatic though, so I’ll take the trade off.

2 Likes

The outside thick parts at the bottom are the original onions. But I’m glad you said that. I was being pessimistic and think thinner is probably better anyway.

1 Like

Here are my shallots and garlic plants; pictures taken a few days ago.

2 Likes

It’s almost time to start onion and leek seeds! Time to break out the plant lights and leak-proof trays.

This year, the plan is to grow alliums under Reemay or insect proof netting. Otherwise, maggot attacks are likely. The same hoops used for radicchio will get moved onto allium beds. Those of you having issues with alliums, you might want to cut open any dead or dying plants and look for tiny maggots. They bore the insides, so are not usually visible from the outside. I’ve seen them attack even chives and garlic.

There’s a ton of garlic chives in the yard, where a small garden used to be. They need replanting so I can blanch the leaves to get “Yellow Chives”, long, noodle-like tender leaves that are more vegetable than seasoning. Email me at my new gmail account, just put rob.botanique in front of the @gmail.com if anyone is in need of garlic chive plants. I’m sure there will be plenty to share come March-April, when I start digging, no charge, of course!

3 Likes

I had garlic chives spread in my yard too, but I landscaped and reseeded that part of my lawn last fall. I need to restart some seeds that I gathered from the mature plants in a new spot.

Never thought of getting to grow my own yellow chives. I may have to give that a try! They are a delicacy and can be quite expensive in the Asian markets.

What are the thick plastic tubes in the white barrels?

Those white barrels are called 5 gallon food safe buckets, with a sub irrigation do-hicky. The tubes are where you add the water, and there are sticks on cork thingies that tell you when the water is low.

I hope do-hickies and cork thingies are self explanatory!

If not

The tubes now come with the inserts, and are black. The cork-float- thingies break off the sticks after a few seasons. There is a newer version, and I’ll have to see how long they last.

They have done better for me for garlic then anything else I have tried.

Here is a newer video

1 Like

Interesting! I thought about remay to keep out maggots last year, and happen to have frost cloth over some shallots this year. It’s not sealed from the environment, and there could already be bad guys in the soil, but would the size of the weeve work?

Very cool! Thanks, I’ll have to check these out.

1 Like