Any Oyster Shucker Recommendation?

It’s more like $120/pound after you discard the stomach, shells and prepuce.

You always let mollusks ride shotgun?

1 Like

Is that a geoduck in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

3 Likes

In my youth, I had the opportunity to shuck bushels of oysters. The basic $10 Dexter knife with the textured white handle should do you fine. It is a restaurant staple and virtually indestructible.
More important, I used to shuck holding the oyster in my left hand. After jabbing myself many times, I was given a chainmail glove for my left hand. It worked perfectly. There are various ways to shuck, I just felt most comfortable holding it.
Happy shucking!

6 Likes

Gotta hold it.

Well said! And wearing protection helps, especially when one is full of youthful energy and lacks experience :innocent:

1 Like

AND that applies to more than just oysters too…:joy:

2 Likes

WORD, Lambchop. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

If you buy from Taylor, consider also buying at least one of the Xhin’s cookbooks. For many years, she ran an eponymous restaurant in Shelton, WA, and was famous for her geoduck offerings. Shelton is also the site of the US West Coast shucking competition. Note Bene: Free oysters from the competitors’ warmups!

1 Like

Welcome.

When I was looking to buy an oyster knife I gravitated to the Toadfish brand. But I couldn’t bring myself to spend so much on an item I knew I would only occasionally use. So I looked to the secondary market and found none.

Then we stayed at a vacation rental that had a dexter oyster knife and after handling it, I knew it was just right for me. I’ve never given it a second thought since as the dexter has been perfect for my needs.

1 Like

Which type of Dexter?

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/2837/clam-knives-and-oyster-knives.html

I have used both the Boston style and the New Haven. Preferred the Boston. I met a person who shucked for a living and he used the Boston style with the shorter white handle and narrow blade. The random link shows quite a selection. I wouldn’t pay a ton for the knife, I would spend the money on a glove. Nerve damage from a jab in your hand isn’t worth the price of adequate protection.

Thanks. Several of you have recommended cut resistance gloves, so maybe they are important.

1 Like

Something like this

1 Like

And you can swim with sharks.

Thanks. I was thinking some chainmail gloves because of the cool/interesting factor, but then I probably won’t feel my fingers

What’s for dinner!

7 Likes

Ok. I need to pull the trigger and just get a relatively cheap oyster knife.

3 Likes

Personally, I won’t consider such a glove for shucking, but I would for a mandoline.

I was recently helping prep a dinner service at my fraternal order, and volunteered to mandoline cukes for the salad cart. I’ve used mandolines a LOT over the years, and while I’d had a few nicks, this time I got bit hard. This cut took weeks to heal.

This got me thinking. The “guards” that come with all the mandolines I’ve owned (maybe 6, fom Bron and Matfer on down) universally have sucked in terms of utility.

Ergo, I’m open to a mesh glove.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the deep cut. So you mean you may consider as heavy-duty as a chainmail gloves, right? I suspect the strength will come at the tradeoff, not able to feel with your fingers.