Any Oyster Shucker Recommendation?

I dunno. I’m thinking the mesh glove may actually provide a more secure hold. I won’t know until I try.

I think a lot of these gloves must be sold on the buyers’ mental image of stabbing themselves opening oysters. A side towel held atop the oyster is good enough for me.

1 Like

It is the Galveston pattern. I ended up with an extra (it’s a long but interesting story). If you PM an address, please accept it as a small Naw-Ruz gift. It will make the oysters taste sweeter for both of us.

1 Like

:anguished:

I’m sorry to hear this.

Get a chain maille glove – you can run them through the dishwasher.

2 Likes

I find gloves in general a PIA in the and I could not imagine working in the Metal ones on a Mandoline.
There are other cut resistant Gloves that you may want to check out first that offer a lot more dexterity.
DEX FIT Level 5 Cut Resistant Gloves Cru553
NoCry Premium Cut Resistant Gloves

I don’t understand this. There’s not much need for dexterity, and a chainmail glove would likely improve grip and be easier to don and doff.

Have you used the gloves you cite to? Are they NSF rated?

I did not find Metal Mesh Gloves something that I could use with much dexterity regardless of your understanding. They are fine for purpose eg shucking Oysters and using a Band Saw when Butchering. But other than that I couldn’t work with them in the Kitchen.
I have used the Dex Fit Gloves and feel that they offer a better feel for me. I believe that both kinds cited are have FDA OK for handling Food.
Of course do what you want I was just relaying my experience.

Interesting. They certainly are more affordable, and I like that they are touch-screen compatible. The manufacturer, Muveen, does not mention NSF or USDA certifications for DexFit, and there’s no mention of anything culinary in the use and industries part of the web page. https://muveen.com/products/dex-fit-level-4-cut-resistant-gloves In fact, note of the pages’ photos are of the gloves in culinary or food service settings. I’ve asked them about that, and will pass along their reply.

From Walmart’s Site " DEX FIT Level 5 Cut Resistant Gloves Cru553, 3D Comfort Stretch Fit, Power Grip, Durable Foam Nitrile, Pass FDA Food Contact,“.
Interested to hear what the Company says.
Dexter makes ones that are billed as " * USDA and FDA approved”
No Idea whether these claims are true though.

Yeah, we’ll see. Not that NSF is the be-all and end-all. My concern would be disinfecting between uses.

At the price, the DexFits would seem to be an excellent choice for general work gloves.

I have decided to get a Dexter-Russell oyster knife. I will just have to accumulate a few more items and then purchase them together on Amazon. Thanks.

1 Like

Which style blade did you choose?

Dexter calls it a New Haven style.

1 Like

nice choice. I like the upturned tip for opening from the hinge. Kaleo’s blade shape looks like a providence pattern. I use a Galveston which is a bit big for the oysters available to me, which are Kumamoto and PNW types, though last week I bought some that were labeled Steamboat oysters, which I particularly enjoyed.

I didn’t even know it has an upturned tip until I received it.

I bought 6 oysters just to try. After one night of refrigeration, I think one has died? It still smells nice, but the shell has partially opened. Another has not opened, but it sounds hollow. When I opened it, the interior was small. Again, it smells ok. At the end, I tossed these two away, and opened the other four. It was a real workout. One of the oysters took a lot of efforts to shuck. Despite the blade does not look particularly thick. This Dexter oyster shucker is steady and held up well.

*I applied tung oil to the handle and also some beewax to fill the gap between the knife blade at the wooden handle.

5 Likes

How do you buy your oysters? Do you buy online and have them ship to your address?

I buy online, usually when they offer free shipping

Usually from nearby

Sometimes when they offer free shipping

I’ve looked here too, but haven’t bought from them

1 Like

Thanks.

1 Like

Hama Hama produces excellent oysters. However, HH is in an isolated location a long drive from any air freight terminal. Maybe FedEx flies them out of Shelton’s Sanderson Field. The company store and food window are well worth a visit, though.

1 Like

When in doubt…I found out NY Eve that even if it smells okay, throw it away. An expensive treat, I don’t know if I can eat oysters anymore.