Any Oyster Shucker Recommendation?

As the title states, I am looking to purchase an oyster shucker. Feel free to talk me out of getting one (if you think I can use some other tools).

Any good recommendation for an oyster shucker? Made-In has an oyster shucker, but it seems rather expensive for a 420HC steel knife. I am guessing it may be from Dexter-Russell since I know Dexter uses 420HC a lot, but it can be another American knife factory. I am happy to pay for $50 if the Made-In one is truly better.

Dexter has one oyster knife for ~$17. Made in USA…etc.

I suppose I will need a pair of cut resistance gloves too – if you have a particular brand for suggestion.

I recommend one with hand guard. I’m experienced but sometimes I get a stubborn oyster and I do slip, and my hand slams into the rough shell at full force. It can get bloody.

For hand protection I use a pair of thick rubber gloves that I keep specifically for this task. Some folded old papers also work.

A box of 25 every weekend.

3 Likes

I use this:

Cheap as dirt and works good. I use a dishtowel as a guard and have never injured myself. Or even come close. I’m very careful.

1 Like

Oyster knife: I’m a sucker for a French one… Here in Europe there are plenty of offerings, and mine is a 25 dollar one from amazon France. Doesn’t have a brand name on it, but it looks old school: brass, wood, stainless steel.

I’ve just had a look on US websites, and this one seems legit, with the same price as here in Europe.

I never really use any protection these days, maybe a kitchen towel if one is hard to open.

3 Likes

This is the one I have. Works really good, can’t justify getting another one (unfortunately!).

2 Likes

Fifty bucks is a lot. This is my fav for less than half that.

1 Like

Flotsam and Fork offers three, one of them a folding Opinel.

Not sure if I’d be willing to use a folding knife on oysters. The last thing I‘d want is for the knife to ‘give’ when I use force trying to open an oyster.

3 Likes

Hmm, that is a good idea. I didn’t think about it, but yes, if I skip, my hand can go forward.

Thanks. I was just looking at Mercer too. Many good suggestions.

+1 for the hand guard. I’d splurge on the cut resistant gloves rather than on the knife.

2 Likes

I’ve been using a Dexter like this for the past 20 years. fits my hand well and the blade is indestructible. i prefer short to medium length blades as they seem to offer more stability and control. if i’m shucking a large number i’ll don some knife proof gloves, but for a few dozen, a kitchen towel is all i need.

2 Likes

The Opinel has a safety mechanism that safely locks the blade in the open position.

3 Likes

I think the Made-In oyster knife is a variation of the R. Murphy. They have similar shape and design. Both are made in Massachusetts, USA. Both use 420HC steel. Even both have blade length 2-5/8"

1 Like

Ok… I was wrong. $50 is nothing. I didn’t know $500 oyster shuckers is a thing.

3 Likes

I have this one:

Mine is lighter colored compared to the pictures. Can’t comment much about using it :). Seems to look quite a lot like the one @damiano has though.

2 Likes

2 Likes

The one I use (apologies, no picture) is about 60+ years old. It has a wooden handle and a short (2-1/2"?) rounded ended heavy metal blade. It has not rusted, maybe heavy stainless. Important for me is that the shorter blade allows me to have more control over the insertion into and jiggling (what words!) throughout the shell. It doesn’t hestitate when prying the shell. No name or mark on it. I suspect it was purchased (or maybe given) from Spenger’s in Berkekey long ago. I wear knife cutting gloves whenever I handle oysters or king crab.

I prefer a Poly Handle and a New Haven Style Blade. The leverage afforded by the turned up Point is very handy for popping them open

or a Boston Style especially when opening flatter Oysters like Belon (Ostrea edulis)

3 Likes

@Pertti They might just be the same indeed. I didn’t realise in the beginning that the blade is different on each side, to accomodate opening the oyster as well as cutting loose the flesh from the oyster once opened. Quite a nifty design.

Also, the tip of the knife is a little bit damaged already because of the hard rocks, but it still works perfectly fine. Do you use yours often?

By the way, just sold my Masamoto deba on kkf! :slight_smile: Drinking a martini now to celebrate…

1 Like