Any Jam Makers or Home Canners Out There?

You’re right! I’ve been making these for years and I think this is the the first time I’ve tried it! I think I used the Kilner jar instructions. OTOH, I keep them many months, maybe even a year. I usually keep it in the refrigerator.

Busy jamming day today! I made Luisa Weiss’ Plum butter, which I have been making for years. The hardest part is cutting up the plums… https://foodinjars.com/blog/my-berlin-kitchen-giveaway-spiced-plum-butter/ You just bake the plums for a few hours!

And a new recipe that I tried this year: Raspberry and Plum. I only macerated for about an hour… and didn’t have any star anise. Used frozen raspberries that I defrosted, got about 4 jars. Nice set ( thanks plums!) https://www.saveur.com/recipes/plum-and-raspberry-jam-recipe/

4 Likes

I saw this this morning on The Guardian.

I’ve been making David Lebovitz’s Fig Chutney for a long time, I water bath can for 15 minutes, I still have several left over from last year.

3 Likes

I’m canning cherries in syrup today and I’m about to lose my shit on these lids. I’ve had a 50% fail rate. Now trying with a new set and will never buy this brand again!

So frustrating!!!

Interesting! I’m still ruminating about whether I should reprocees the figs to fill add some more syrup and some lemon juice to make it safer and keep better. I have found about five recipes for whole preserved figs, six inluding yours,but none seem to require a significant amount of lemon.

Do yours turn out to be fully submerged?

What brand???

i empathize. i had dismal failure rates this year and switched to Denali lids, abandoning my many many stockpiled boxes of Ball lids.

9 pints drunken peaches (5 bourbon and 4 brandy).

Everything was cold packed. I put 4 quarters per jar, used a light syrup and full 1/3 c. spirits per pint. Don’t eat peaches and drive! :peach: :oncoming_automobile: :ambulance:

7 Likes

Ball - the originals that came with the jars themselves. I had a package of Kerr lids on hand too, so I switched to those and had no problem. Never again, Ball!

Ooooof. Thanks. All the lids I used today were Kerr, but I have plenty of Ball from last year on hand.

I have not made the preserved figs, just jam and the Lebovitz’s chutney. I thought the recipe would be of interest to people with unripe figs.

2 Likes

Busy day. 100 lb tomatoes made into passata and pressure canned. 1/2 bushel peppers roasted and vacuum sealed. The shelves are starting to look happy again.

5 Likes

100 pounds!!! :eyes: Thatzalottatomatoes! Well done.

I made 100 grams of pickled Asian Pears

3 Likes

100 pounds gave us 36 1 litre jars. When there are 2 of you, it’s very doable.

Those pickled pears look good. Do they stay crunchy? I’ve never done pears before.

Starting this years pepper jelly season.

“Those pickled pears look good.”

Thank you! I haven’t tried them yet, but perhaps I will after the recommended 72 hours.

I love overnight maceration!

1 Like

I always stock up on plums, pit them, freeze 8 cups in ziplock bags and make plum butter in the middle of winter. Just defrost them and add the sugar. Works with apricots and strawberries too.

3 Likes

I do the same with berries and jam: blueberries, raspberry, strawberry - all good for jam any time of the year.

1 Like