Any Jam Makers or Home Canners Out There?

Strawberry Margarita jam, which I made last year with no problem. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/preservation-societys-strawberry-margarita-jam/article4353137/
Must not have boiled enough this year… didn’t set. And because you add the booze at the end, don’t think that I can reboil after processing?

2 Likes

Made preserved figs, but I have too much headspace.

“The Role of Headspace”- Healthy Canning.com

2 Likes

jealous of your access to figs! i could get them in nyc, but not so much here in my PA exile.

1 Like

I’ve really cut back on my jam production this year; what remains to make is:

• peach jam (been waiting for freestones, and they’re here now)
  • small batch of tomato jam

That’s probably it.

1 Like

The recipe says “The jam is ready when a teaspoon of the mixture spends two minutes on the plate in the freezer then wrinkles when pushed gently with the index finger.” Did that part happen? Not sure how my question helps you, but I’m curious.

I don’t have any suggestions other than trying one of those “fixes” with pectin. They are usually for recipes that already include pectin, and I’m thinking a lot of the alcohol would be cooked off.

When my jam doesn’t set, I won’t try to fix it. I’ll just enjoy it in yoghurt, oats and so on where a runny consistency is less of an issue.

2 Likes

I would still try reboiling. The tequila flavour will remain.
Use a wide pan, rather than a deep one, if you are able. That will help with evaporation.

1 Like

It was actually much more set the next day! I did use the freezer test, but was probably getting impatient and wanted to go to bed… so might have interpreted the results optimistically…

3 Likes

It looks like the boids got to the Service/June/Saskatoon berries this year. I saw a clip of ‘Wes Stroud’s Wild Harvest’ where he has made an Oregon grape jam that is an ingredient his feast du jour. The Oregon grapes are plentiful here this year so I might try my hand at making jam from that, that is if the turkeys don’t get to them first!

3 Likes

I had no idea Oregon Grape was edible!

2 Likes

I saw a recipe once in a wild foods cookbook. There are several forms of the Oregon grape: ours grows low to the ground, others seem to be taller shrubs. At least that is what Mr. Stroud indicated.

2 Likes

Some lovely Red haven peaches here, so I made this peach butter. https://smittenkitchen.com/2011/09/peach-butter/ I make it every year, and I try to cover of much of the area around my stove as possible due to splattering! Here are some pictures from previous years

But it’s well worth the effort, in my opinion. It really tastes like summer in a jar.
I also made plum vanilla jam https://www.marthastewart.com/332882/plum-vanilla-jam another old favourite. Very low effort for an excellent small batch jam

6 Likes

Oooo! Red Havens!

1 Like

That’s impressive .

1 Like

Tomato Jam from NYT recipe. It doesn’t mention canning.

Aji Amarillo paste; also no mention of canning. One recipe mentioned freezing, but I used my frozen peppers from last season, so I’m not sure I should freeze again.

3 Likes

I’ve made another batch of these with even more headspace, I will be out of town for several weeks, and I am wondering if there is something I can do to make these last.

The original recipe does not mention canning. It says to store in a dark, cool place. There are no cool places besides the refrigerator.

I did the boiling water thing for the pictured bottle anyway.

I didn’t bother with the second, same sized jar, because I knew it wasn’t enough to fill even half the same sized jar.

I don’t have experience using these jars for canning, but they both seem firmly sealed, or at least extremely difficult to open without using something to break the seal.

I’m wondering if it makes sense to combine them in one jar to have less headspace, and what the steps would be, especially since I still don’t think there will be enough syrup to cover.

I’m guessing I’d bring all the figs to boil again, and maybe sterilize the jar. Strin the figs and bring syrup back to 220 f ( could I use some figs, syrup from a year old batch that still tastes good, and/or sugar to make more syrup), hot water bath for 15.

I don’t really mind keeping them in the fridge, but I imagine exposed fruit could still get moldy, and I have at least another batch of figs, and if I could make a few small bottles shelf stable, I’d love to share.

Thanks for any help you can give!

you can absolutely refreeze paste made with previously-frozen peppers.

1 Like

i’m confused by your statement that the original recipe doesn’t mention canning. Is the original recipe that image you have included here for old-fashioned fig preserves?

In any case: figs are not acidic enough to can (in a boiling-water bath) without adding lemon juice or citric acid. So whatever you do or did, unless there was lemon juice or citric acid that you added, you need to store the jar(s) in the fridge, full stop.

Yes, and got it about the full stop.

Ok. The recipe DOES say you can the figs (“and seal following canning-jar manufacturer’s instructions.”) But it says so without sufficient detail.