Pepper jelly 6.0

Has anyone tried shrub jelly? I think I might try starting my jelly juice using shrub instructions.

Also

Poblano and Aji Amarillo and cubanelle pepper, two red and two yellow pluots, a bit of orange, a bit of vanilla; pluot marmalade, jam, preserve, or conserve?

Roasted and charred more than I intended, and pluot shrub to moisten.

3 Likes

Any sugar in there? First thought would be to call it a conserve.

1 Like

Yes; some sugar to " macerate".

:blush:

It’s what happened on my way to making pepper jelly.

Green Chile Peach Preserves – Small Batch

ROASTED STONE FRUIT WITH ORANGE & VANILLA

And I got new jars!

I thought I would never need to buy jars again, but the stars aligned in their favor and I did.

1 Like

It looks beautiful! Do you like the way it tastes?

I do, but I just tasted a little bit. I try not to eat too much “sugar”, but I also try not to throw much away
These pluots were about to be composted. I seem to recall conserves get better with time. Is that right?

1 Like

This says it tells how to keep peppers suspended in jelly instead of floating to the top, but it seems to me they will float again when you process the jars. I do like that it allows me to procrastinate for yet another day, before finishing the whole project.

Here’s another idea.

I’m going to try turning the jars upside down for a bit, when the jars cool off a little

These samples were not processed in boiling water.

As they say on My Kitchen Rules, “I’m happy with that”!

These have been processed.

Tastes good!

3 Likes

Perfectly suspended at 99 degrees f!

1 Like

When we make pineapple shrubs we strain all the solids out & make pickled pineapple jam.

1 Like

That sounds so good!

Last batch of the season.

Why is there vinegar in pepper jelly?

Includes substitutions.

Last batch was too loose, this one, with bottled lemon juice and no pepper pieces, a bit too set.

2 Likes

Vinegar is acidic - helps the set & is a preservative. Red peppers have like 3zero pectin in them.

1 Like

Starting Pepper Jely 10.0 in '22 with this one. ( based on prnted recipes, I think I’ve been working on this since '92).

National Center For Food Preservation Recipe

I like it because it uses pepper juice measures in the recipe.

The ground peppers ( a few red Corno di Toro,
mostly Yellow Corno Di Toro and Quadrati, some Aji Amarillo, some seeded scotch bonnets, one Hot Portugal.

This is the first time I’ve ground the peppers, and it made me wonder about recipes with numbers of peppers, vs volume vs weight.

This was almost 3 cups, and 1 pound 4.5 ounce by weight.

I’m not sure I want to go all vinegar and no juice, and I’d like to use powdered low sugar pectin. I will probably tweak that part.

Maybe finishing like this.

That one also uses a specified amount of juice, alows me to procrastinate, i mean macerate in juice and vinegar overnight.

Im using ACV sparkling apple and peach juice, because thats what I have.

Tasted after vinegar, but before juice, and it could use a lot more heat.

2 Likes

I ended up using 2 cups juice, 2 cups sugar, 28 grams pectin powder, and a few spoons of the ground pepper. It made about 2 and 3/4 half pint jars. Flavor is perfect, but less pectin would probably have been better. Wish it was crystal clear rather than translucent. Bubbles are still rising from the bottom.

2 Likes

I scraped the last of the pot into a jar, and it was a bit grainy. I found this.

" Another, in my opinion, more subtle and more likely is that the graininess was caused by excess pectin gelling.

When pectins overgel they pull tight and form small, stiff granules. These are bland and rubbery. Very unlike sugar or fruit particles.

Normal, thermally reversible, pectin does not often over gel. If it does, reheating and possibly adding a little liquid will fix the problem.

LM pectins, on the other hand, can over gel fairly easily and as they are not thermally reversible it is impossible to fix the jam when it happens. See this article about pectin, in particular the 5th page about LM pectins."

But mostly I think it was because I stirred the pectin into hot/boiling juice, and I probably should have stirred it in when cold, so it doesn’t jell so quick. Trying to use stuff from too many recipes.

1 Like

I was using…

“Ball has a new pectin product out. It’s a quasi-bulk jar of pectin, 4.7 oz, designed so that you can adjust the amount of pectin easily to the amount of jam you want to make…The lovely paper insert full of recipes that used to be in the box has now been replaced with a sorta-sticky wrap-around label.”

Awesome !

1 Like