Any Jam Makers or Home Canners Out There?

Ooooof. Thanks. All the lids I used today were Kerr, but I have plenty of Ball from last year on hand.

I have not made the preserved figs, just jam and the Lebovitz’s chutney. I thought the recipe would be of interest to people with unripe figs.

2 Likes

Busy day. 100 lb tomatoes made into passata and pressure canned. 1/2 bushel peppers roasted and vacuum sealed. The shelves are starting to look happy again.

5 Likes

100 pounds!!! :eyes: Thatzalottatomatoes! Well done.

I made 100 grams of pickled Asian Pears

3 Likes

100 pounds gave us 36 1 litre jars. When there are 2 of you, it’s very doable.

Those pickled pears look good. Do they stay crunchy? I’ve never done pears before.

Starting this years pepper jelly season.

“Those pickled pears look good.”

Thank you! I haven’t tried them yet, but perhaps I will after the recommended 72 hours.

I love overnight maceration!

1 Like

I always stock up on plums, pit them, freeze 8 cups in ziplock bags and make plum butter in the middle of winter. Just defrost them and add the sugar. Works with apricots and strawberries too.

3 Likes

I do the same with berries and jam: blueberries, raspberry, strawberry - all good for jam any time of the year.

1 Like

These plums

Were macerated overnight with aspirations of making shrub, but it wasn’t nearly enough, so i made jam.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Any favorite recipes/tips for fig jam? I was thinking a savory-sweet chutney with shallots and raisins(?) might be nice, too. I think I have 6-8 cups fresh figs. I also have a quart of garden raspberries I could throw in.

Ideas/advice?

1 Like

I’ve run across many, but never made jam. I am obsessed with “southern style” whole preserved figs.

2 Likes

I love this chutney, one time I misread the recipe and added more red pepper powder, I liked it better. Jam is good too.

3 Likes

They stayed crunchy, or maybe crisp is a better description. Very nice!

What’s this? It looks like golden goodness! Did I miss something?

It’s linked to a long running thread about my pepper jelly hijinks. This version is made from yellow and orange sweet and hot peppers.

1 Like

Gravenstein apple sauce.

5 Likes

A small, experimental batch of pickled grape tomatoes, loosely based on a Food In Jars post here. I did not peel my tomatoes.

I put two jars through the water bath process and made two jars of “fridge pickles”. We’ll know in a week or so if we care for them (and if so, I have plenty more tomatoes where these came from).

If anyone has any good canning ideas for small grape tomatoes, I’m all ears.

4 Likes