Any Jam Makers or Home Canners Out There?

My personal opinion: don’t blindlessly follow recipe writers. Often they are more enthusiastic than knowledgeable, plus their employer wants to prevent lawsuits so they often are too strict.

People here in this thread have been canning for decades and can tell you what works and what not.

1 Like

I agree with the caveat that having a source to return to time and again, that you can put your notes/adjustments on, develop your version of, is highly useful. It’s how many of us go from being beginners to being experts.

3 Likes

I freeze fruit when I don’t have enough yet to warrant canning.

1 Like

OTOH, I would rather use a trusted and tested canning recipe than kill someone. If I’m not canning then free will remains.

2 Likes

I just made out my list of “canning goals” for this summer/fall. We’ll see if it pans out. I won’t know until the tomato seconds become available.

1 Like

Thank you! I never hesitate to ask, and in this case I’ve apparently been asking the same question here since 2019. I just remembered another one I started about my “pepper jelly trials” as well!

That one is where I learned about “Dutch jelly lite” pectin. BTW, I bought enough for a few seasons, but later read it is important to use the pectin within a certain time period. Is that something I should believe? I am always disappointed when my jelly doesn’t set, and I find jelly trickier than jam.

I’ve never used that particular pectin, but have never had an issue using a box of pectin from the previous summer.

1 Like

Thank you! I think it’s about 2 years. Next time I’ll buy less.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Pretty sure I’ve used pectin that old without a problem, but wouldn’t want to lead you astray…

2 Likes

Red and black currant jam. The black currants are the biggest pain to process… but that flavour is not like anything else!

1 Like

What makes the black currant difficult to process? We plan on adding them to our garden next year.

I love black and red currant jam, sometimes add raspberries or blueberries. To get some of the seeds out, I put the lightly cooked (or mashed & macerated) berries through a food mill with the medium sieve.

1 Like

On the 2022 list.

1 Like

Haven’t made anything yet, and can’t believe it! Garden is just starting to come on, at last. Yay! Envious of your beautiful harvest!

1 Like

Our green beans came in two days ago, and I picked our first cucumber and corn yesterday. The cherry tomatoes are just a few days out. Seems like high summer finally is here.

1 Like

Fantastic! We actually had our first zucchini and yellow squash for dinner last night - the rest should be coming along, finally. The heat is helping!

Debearding them…

1 Like

Ahh… like huckleberries, getting all that flotsom out of there.

1 Like

This recipe was also 2:1 fruit, but it seemed really sweet, and more like a preserve than a jam. Could be because the Flavor Grenade pluots are quite crunchy and sweet.

I couldn’t resist adding one Scotch Bonnet with a few slices in it, which was the saving grace for me. Husband didn’t think it was too sweet and says while he can’t imagine spreading it 9n anything, he could eat it straight.

Any ideas for how to use a sweet and hot pluot preserve?

4 Likes