Any Jam Makers or Home Canners Out There?

Yeah, I do that too.

You can improvise with a 3:1 ratio, let it macerate, and cook the next day. That’s what I’d do.

1 Like

I guess I don’t understand the issue. Are you not able to find a larger batch recipe? How much fruit do you want to process?

I prefer a “small batch” recipe that fits what I harvest. Maybe 4 1/2 pint jars. Maybe one I can make over a day or two, “macerating”! Maybe one with less sugar, less cooking, even if that means low sugar, powdered pectin. And maybe one that doesn’t require sterilized jars as well as a 10 or 15 minute canning. Some recipes say you don’t need both. Extra points for chilis, and a clear jelly, rather than jam.

That’s my fantasy.

For jelly, something like this.

Today I want to use 1 pound 15 ounce of chopped Flavor Grenade pluots from my tree.

I’m thinking a jam. If it would only make an 8 ounce jar, I won’t worry about the chemistry needed for balance, color, and set for a shelf stable result. If with sugar, and whatever else, it’s going to be three or more jars, I’m gifting it at Christmas, and want it to be as good as it can be.

3 Likes

so, a 2/1 fruit sugar ratio, macerated overnight, and quickly boiled in a wide shallow pan should yield fresh tasting jam. Test for set after 10 min. For 250 ml/half pint or smaller jars, 10 minutes of processing is good, no adjusted for altitude. No need to sterilize jars for 10+ minutes of process time. (says National Centre for Food Preservation)

3 Likes

Thank you! Two to one weight, not volume, right? That’s perfect. And no pectin?

1 Like

I rarely use pectin. For 2 lbs/1 kg, I use a 14” braisier pan. For smaller batches, an 11” skillet. Big surface area = quick evaporation.
I worked in geochem long before becoming a cook :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you again!
I know I will look at this thread later. What about for pepper jelly? Only some vinegar and/or fruit and pepper “juice”? If you use pectin, powder or liquid ?

Thank you!

Thank you so much. “Body too similar” error.

Thank you so so much. “Body too similar” error.

When I see how many times I’ve asked the same question, I’m going to ask that if you don’t just ignore future queries, please remind me that I’ve gotten answers ever year since maybe 2019.

1 Like

YES! 2-1 by weight.

1 Like

Sorry, not a jelly making person.
But do check the books Preserving by the Pint by Marisa McClellan (Food in Jars), and Small Batch Preserving by Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard.

2 Likes

Thank you!

For jam I’m liking the “Small Batch Mixed Stone Fruit Jam” on page 36 in Food in Jars. .

1 Like

My personal opinion: don’t blindlessly follow recipe writers. Often they are more enthusiastic than knowledgeable, plus their employer wants to prevent lawsuits so they often are too strict.

People here in this thread have been canning for decades and can tell you what works and what not.

1 Like

I agree with the caveat that having a source to return to time and again, that you can put your notes/adjustments on, develop your version of, is highly useful. It’s how many of us go from being beginners to being experts.

3 Likes

I freeze fruit when I don’t have enough yet to warrant canning.

1 Like

OTOH, I would rather use a trusted and tested canning recipe than kill someone. If I’m not canning then free will remains.

2 Likes

I just made out my list of “canning goals” for this summer/fall. We’ll see if it pans out. I won’t know until the tomato seconds become available.

1 Like

Thank you! I never hesitate to ask, and in this case I’ve apparently been asking the same question here since 2019. I just remembered another one I started about my “pepper jelly trials” as well!

That one is where I learned about “Dutch jelly lite” pectin. BTW, I bought enough for a few seasons, but later read it is important to use the pectin within a certain time period. Is that something I should believe? I am always disappointed when my jelly doesn’t set, and I find jelly trickier than jam.

I’ve never used that particular pectin, but have never had an issue using a box of pectin from the previous summer.

1 Like