Any Demeyere Proline pan owners ?

Welcome.

I checked with a Proline. A small reefer magnet does not show any perceptible attraction. A larger one does. In both cases, the magnet sticks to the bottom/outside. In the case of the larger magnet, the attraction on the inside is noticeably weaker.

My conclusion is that the lining is nonmagnetic, and what attraction there is is through the 3.7mm of aluminum to the induction layers beneath…

Now I wonder why you asked!

Aloha,
Kaleo

hmmm thats interesting. I would expect the exterior to be extremely magnetic due to triple induc which is why proline is so great on induction, but the interior being non magnetic seems a bit worrying to me.

The silvinox treatment increases the nickel and chrome content of the surface but I am not sure by how much. Since it is non magnetic one could assume that it is significant. Why does that matter? Nickel is allergenic and carcinogenic, even more so than aluminum.

And Im sure most people on the forum know one of the reasons cladding began was due to findings of aluminum being absorbed into the food. Specifically, aluminum was found in brain tissue and is strongly tied to dementia/alzheimers.

If the interior of your pot/pan is magnetic you can assume the nickel content is quite low. This is true (I’ve tested it) in much less expensive cookware than Demeyere like AC D3 or even Cuisinart MCP.

Im curious to know how magnetic the interior of the Atlantis pots are, both single ply side wall and the interior part of the disc bottom.

My Atlantis sauce pan is the copper disc style. I tested a few fridge magnets and there may have been a tiny hint of magnetism, but not much of anything. If you’re looking at Demeyere and All-Clad they’re 18-10 steel. The 10 is a pretty decent amount of nickel. If you’re worried about nickel for some reason you could try to find 18-0 cookware.

1 Like

I think the interiors are 18/10 stainless, so that would tell you how much nickel there’s in there (10%). Whether it leaches in any significant amounts I can’t say.

Also as unpopular as it is here I have read about the Hestan Nanobond line being recommended to people with nickel allergies. It’s a good line, just a bit overpriced.

Edit: the pan is lined with titanium instead of steel. Hence the lack of nickel.

Oh ive never heard that, I always thought the Heston nano bond seemed a bit gimmicky. Thanks for the rec.

its possible it may not but no other manufacturer is going out of their way to bring nickel and chrome to the surface like demeyere does with silvinox finish.

These statements are problematic on several levels. The history is wrong–clad cookware came about because of a confluence of durability and ease of maintenance.

It’s also untrue that any causal connection has been found between aluminum and dementia. You are about the thousandth poster to suggest one does exist; you would be the first to put up proof. IIRC, the best medical science is simply that the diseased brain cells have an affinity for holding onto the mineral, which is normally present in the blood, and normally excreted–harmlessly.

How did you test leaching of nickel and chromium from Silvinox? Did you also test untreated 18/10 to compare?

4 Likes

It’s surely gimmicky, but if your focus is preventing food contact with SS alloys containing Ni and Cr, Nanobond would make a sensible choice. Its aluminum layer is a skosh thinner than the other Hestan choice, Thermoclad, and nowhere near Proline’s 3.7mm

1 Like

I don’t believe the history is wrong. I said “one of the reasons cladding began”, the other of course was durability. Another may have to do with the steel market shifting to more global producers. After all AC can charge a lot more per oz than an otherwise industrial application of the commodity.

I never said I tested the leaching of nickel and chromium from silvinox. I tested the AC D3 and MCP to see if their cooking surface were magnetic, which they were.

Here area couple links to consider.

https://raypeat.com/articles/articles/iron-dangers.shtml

I’m pretty sure Al-Clad had zero motivation to reduce dietary intake of aluminum in launching clad cookware.

If you can obtain a full text of this study, I’d be interested in reading it. However, the fact that the authors titled it as they did–and concluded it with “Plausible Link” and a question mark–doesn’t indicate an advance in knowledge. Nor does the abstract suggest new data.

I agree with you, AC had no motivation for that, as they are not the patron saints of metallic dietary intake but that is how ideas often come to market. That is to say, ideas which address customers concerns or fears often do well. Aluminum pans were quite popular and useful at the time, not very durable but cheap enough were it wasn’t much of a concern. AC enters with cladded design, durability isn’t the only selling point, after all it is significantly heavier than a pure aluminum pan. It is unlikely your average mom of the 1970s/80s is just switching for durability, she is also concerned about the aluminum and that concern justifies the heavier weight of the cladded pan in most consumers minds.

I will see if I had the study in pdf to post.

Do you have any support for this at all, circa 1967?

Yes.

“The controversy about aluminum started with a report in 1970 that brains of people with Alzheimer’s disease contained abnormally high levels of aluminum.”

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=150

And another.

"The hypothesis that Al is an environmental contributor to the pathogenesis of AD, termed the “aluminum hypothesis”, was proposed in the 1960s based on various neurotoxicological, analytical, and epidemiological findings [9–11]. "

And you think that Jane Housewife was attuned to this in the '60s in making her family’s cookware decisions?

My sense, being in the trade, is that the hypothesis–still a hypothesis 60 years on–was not on consumers’ minds until the late 1990s, when by dint of repetition, the hypothesis kindled fear.

Not that aluminum contributed by cookware has ever been a major share of dietary intake, anyway. But worriers will worry.

1 Like

I think Jane housewife is a lot more attuned to these sort of things than you would like to give her credit for.

If you are still unsure of the scope of the concern you could also consider Corning’s “Visions” cookware which launched in late 70s in Europe and early 80s in US. An idea which tried to address cooking on impure surfaces. Also an idea that could only come from a chemist.

Take a look at ceramic in todays market. It basically exists as a response to teflon, PTFE, PFOA, all of it. Marketers have convinced people it is safer to use ceramic as “non-stick cookware”. HSN calls ceramic “the gold standard of cooking” and sells thousands of pans per day.

Believe what you want, but Visions is quite likely the worst cookware ever made. It was a (bad) idea intended to sell pyroceram, not make food more pure.

I couldn’t agree with you more, it is terrible cookware. Im just merely stating how and why some things may come about.

Originally, I just wanted to know if inside of Atlantis was magnetic, thats all.

I am not knocking Demeyere, their attention to detail and craftsmanship is excellent. For anyone interested and reading this Costco is having a pretty incredible sale on Demeyere Atlantis/proline right now.

any update?