Any Demeyere Proline pan owners ?

Oh, I wasn’t offended at all. It was just the first speculation I’d heard that Silvinox pans leach more Ni and Cr than “regular” SS pans.

Frankly, I think you’d be looking a long time to find good pans made for induction compatibility that have magnetic linings. It would be somewhat counterproductive to induce heat above the conductive layer (and the Series 400 SS the makers use for the heating material is not very resistant to corrosion).

Whoever was the ad agency for Corning’s Visions must’ve earned their money; they didn’t have much to work with. They went with a photo of an aluminum pan melting inside a Visions pot --as if people cooked at >1400F.

Yeah, and the handle probably still didn’t get hot.

1 Like

You mean the later video chip where the steel pan is melted, but the plastic handle is intact? Yeah, probably a different pan. I mean… a melted steel pan probably won’t just nicely pour out neither.

Hi WW11, I answered this a few posts before the Hestan Nanobond post.

Drop it from the ISS, and it may survive to be “cooked” in again!

Thank you!

These ads are something else! lol

I agree with this analysis of the timeline. The use of aluminum pans in restaurants and homes continued unabated through the 90’s, and continues to be popular to this day. All-Clad was boutique cookware, originally sold at Bloomingdale’s and not available at commercial restaurant supply stores. It wasn’t until AFTER the explosion of food TV shows in the 2000’s that All-Clad began to make fleeting appearances in professional kitchens. I think Emeril used it on his show before they launched a separate line for him, but it really took off with the next Food Network Star show (circa 2003-2008). In any case, the rise in popularity was the result of a careful marketing strategy that coincided with the popularity of “Food TV.”. I don’t think it had anything to do with aluminum, except that sales people at Williams-Sonoma probably used it as a sales tactic. Perhaps All-Clad funded a study on the dangers of aluminum!

1 Like

The push of induction cooktop will change pure aluminum cookware out of the scene.

1 Like

Does anybody own both Lagostina Accademia Lagofusion and Proline frying pans, perhaps even in the same sizes, care to share user experienses?

What I have deducted from the published measurement informations, is that the Prolines are almost identically sized with Lagostina Accademia Lagofusion frying pans, which I own in both 24 cm and 28 cm sizes. The Prolines are heavier however, being fully clad @ 4,8 mm thickness. The Lagostinas have a hybrid design, with thick(er than Proline) bottom and thinner sidewall aluminum.

Zwilling reports the Proline 28 cm to weigh 2360 grams and having a 22 cm bottom diameter, at their web site. My Lagostina 28 cm pan weighs 1760 grams and has an approx 22 cm bottom exterior diameter disc, which then chamfers beyond it a bit. Here are a few pictures on my imgur to illustrate it: https://imgur.com/a/W6cCydm

In the 24 cm size, the Lagostina would actually then seem to have a wider disk compared to the Proline bottom at 18 cm vs an almost 19 cm for Lagostina.

I think given the sizable difference in weight and construction, but with similarly sized bottom measurements, these two pans would make for an interesting comparison, especially on induction IMO. On gas, I guess I might prefer the Proline out of the two. I happen to have two equally powered circular induction back hobs on my cooktop, so it would be nice to compare them head to head for the same tasks at the same time. If I owned the Prolines, that is…

The problem is that I certainly don’t need any new frying pans, but I’m still interested in these pans, which many seem to like. Unfortunately me buying them would frankly be a bit stupid, even in my own opinion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, Pertti:

Well, short of discovering a Proline at a yard sale or in a thrift shop, realistically you may be stuck. Especially where you live.

There’s borrowing (or trial swapping)–I’ve tried that, but rare are people whose curiosity justifies the high costs of shipping. My attempts at Chowhound to organize a cookware “lending library” wrecked on that very rock.

Or, you could buy a Proline planning on a resale. You would take some hit, but Prolines tend to command high resale prices.

Or, less honestly, you could buy a Proline intending to return it.

If you want to research round-trip insured shipping, I’d consider lending you a 28cm Proline. It’s about time to move to the beach house, so it wouldn’t be missed until fall anyway. PM me if interested.

Aloha,
Kaleo

1 Like

I have both, have induction, and prefer the Lagostina on my induction stove. It pretty much stays there.

1 Like

Nice to hear, the Lagostinas work really nicely indeed, glad to hear you like them. I thought it would be likely to hear a comment like yours if someone owns both. I believe the Lagostina would both heat up a bit faster and more evenly along the whole bottom and a bit into the curve also at least. Thinking about a scenario where I would for example preheat the whole bottom into leidenfrost temperature for steaks.

Supposedly the Proline could cook a bit better on the sidewalls I guess, in case one needs it. These things could be pretty hard to even notice though I suppose unless paying close attention, testing it basically

Probably not. I’ve used both on gas and prefer the Lagostina. But that’s hardly a secret here… :upside_down_face:

Cooking on gas, I’ll still find the best frying pans for me are the Mauviel 2.3mm stainless steel lined copper, De Buyer Carbone Pro, and Paderno GG paella. If I had to choose one, I’d go with the copper. It can do any frying task extremely well.

What is it you feel is missing from the Lagostina, that you think the Proline will give you?

1 Like

Meatballs need a little crunch on them somewhere or they’re like eating a poached big toe. If that happens because a pan heated a little unevenly then so be it.

I’m not missing on anything in frypans and I think I would prefer my already owned Lagostina, the Proline don’t make quite as much sense to me on induction. I just like pans… I might get an Atlantis saucepan though, I’m a bit missing out on straight walled long handle saucepans.

1 Like

Ah, I get it… Curiosity! :slight_smile:

As for straight walled long handle saucepans: would be pretty hard to beat the Fissler imho. Love mine on gas. I have the tall 20cm.

1 Like

They are nice, I have it with the double handles as well as some others. The size of their tall saucepans is great imo. I think they don’t make the tall long handled saucepans anymore in the new profi though, looks like just a shallow 16 cm with long handle in straight walled.

I have a Lacor chef luxe 20 cm tall pan though, its the same size as your Fissler and a bit lighter. I don’t really need saucepans either, but that Lacor is my only long handled straight wall saucepan.

If you’re talking about preheating to a steady state, this could be true. However, if we’re talking about preheating the floor to Leidenfrost, then the Proline would preheat at least as fast, probably faster.

Sidewall heat, aka conductive sidewalls, is useful beyond cooking food there. It demonstrates movement away from the floor (and food) and sinking some of it into the air. This sinking, along with its relative lack in the floor when on a glass top, makes conductive sidewall pans generally more responsive than thick disk-based pans.

The Lagostina Accademia pan is recognition that sidewall heat is important enough to start with a clad pan body. But that element is quite thin, and doesn’t move heat as fast or efficiently as does a thick conductive core. There’s also the effect of a third layer of steel between cooktop and food–if you lined a pan to the rim with aluminum foil, how much heat realistically makes it there? This is why I wish someone would make a hybrid with a 3 mm core pan body and a 6-7mm disk bottom.

From a maker’s perspective, these hybrid pans are easier to design and produce. Basically they sidestep the technical challenges of cladding and then forming a thick unitary layup. And they can go one step further by bonding on an even thicker disk. If you think about it, there’s no reason Demeyere couldn’t add a 1cm disk to a Proline!

1 Like