Any Demeyere Proline pan owners ?

Thank you, Sir.

I’ve managed to amass a bunch of haters here as fast as I did on Chowhound.

As the kind moderator naf said to me - it’s probably a combination of my personality and the way a lot of people discuss things in northern Europe, which is a more direct and a bit more confrontational than most guys/gals do it in North America.

As one poster wrote in another thread: ‘A dinner and a fight’

Well even though I unfortunately did in fact invite a certain guy to come to Denmark for dinner and a fight, I was of course just being sarcastic. But sarcasm in writing and in words can lead to many misunderstandings.

I’ll mostly stick to the topics I create myself here and just post short comments in the other threads here.
Even if I’m the only guy posting in my threads I can return later on to find some of the cooking videos I post links to here.

But great to also see you here, alash !!
I’ve always found your posts on Chowhound exciting and knowledgeable.

Cheers, Claus

Hi Claus,

It’s always good to see you posting–with a low profile. This is a gentler place than Chowhound–with more content, and fewer personal attacks.

I enjoy your threads and appreciate your comments.

Ray

1 Like

So these slots in wood are sanitary, whereas the slots in wooden blocks and drawer blocks are unsanitary?

1 Like

This is much like calling riveted handles a “big” problem. But Is it a large problem, really?

IME with Demeyere Silvinox, it’s a mixed bag. While heavy polymerized fats are indeed harder to remove from Silvinox than from other finishes, overall cleanup and appearance are better. I don’t find it onerous to hit the pan with BKF or even oven cleaner when the need arises. I’ve had good success with the few times I’ve tried running Prolines through a dishwasher, too.

I think you’d find that if you could get a Proline without the Silvinox treatment, staining would become more of an issue in general.

3 Likes

Kaleo,

The big knife slots lock in with magnets–almost like on a magnetic strip. The “slot” is only an inch of two deep…

Now, can we get back on topic?

Ray

1 Like

You’re the one who strayed OT, Ray.

I’m just pointing out your usual inconsistency, in this particular case calling slots in others’ wood blocks unsanitary, yet proudly flogging for exactly that in your own kitchen.

Can you explain how the knives in this block are oh-so-grabbable across your two induction hotplates?

1 Like

Kaleo,

This is a thread focused on Demeyere Proline pans.

I went off topic to fulfill an old promise to VFish, to show her this alternative to her block. This is her first posting here since Chowhound.

It was a welcome back.

You’re two posts unnecessarily take us away from Claus’s OP, raising issues from other threads, providing no substantial content of your own–and I facilitated your OP diversion with this response.

No more.

Ray

2 Likes

For a casual bystander with no bone in this fight - like me - it’s getting increasingly obvious, and even annoying, that you continue to single out Ray. If you don’t like his posts, I suggest you just use the ignore button.

2 Likes

I agree.

Leave Ray alone. Give him a break.
Please stop bullying him. He’s a good guy.

If Ray had a temper like mine he would be at your doorstep shaking your hand quite vigorously :yum:

As a member said: ‘A dinner & a fight’ - just kidding :stuck_out_tongue:

And I’m not talking about you Damiano, but this other guy who still posts in ‘my threads’ (threads I’ve started) and reads my posts even though we both are on each other’s ignore list here.

Stop harassing Ray.

2 Likes

Says who, Ray? It’s a glass house. If you merely wanted to welcome VFish, you wouldn’t have strummed your usual 3-chord progression about your stuff–which isn’t a Demeyere Proline. Got something substantive to add to that topic?

2 Likes

Hi, Claus,

I have to be honest, I’ve just been too bogged down to be on anywhere regularly, even the other board, and truth be told, don’t really have a lot to say if I did. There’s nothing I’m interested in buying at all and right now I’m in a cooking slump, really uninspired.

But thank you for the warm welcome and I’ll be sure to check back when I can from time to time.

I don’t really know what transpired on here with you but I hope things smooth out. Being away kind of diminishes a lot of drama.

I was dismayed hearing about you replacing your Mineral B, you had praised them so much. Plus, you won’t have to scrub at oil. But then you said you are keeping them. Maybe compare the char you get from each.

I don’t like stains on my SS but maybe you’ll get used to it. When I bought the prolines I was under the impression I couldn’t use cast iron on glass cooktop. Well, I can, and especially since I already have scratches, but these old cast iron pans aren’t causing any new scratches. But the prolines were kind of considered kind of like cast iron in thickness but better evenness. But again, with electric glass, I don’t have an issue with evenness that I can tell with either types.

I think the prolines were just too much pan for me. As I’ve used new cookware, I know what things I like and do not. And I do not like long handles on heavy large pans. But I still think the Fissler serving pan is lighter weight than the 32 proline, and the two short handles make it much easier to work with. You know, it’s been so long since I’ve talked about pans, I said somewhere 32.5 cm instead of 32. Even though there’s a helper handle, I think I really have an aversion to long handles anyway. It’s just useless for me because I have to choke up anyway.

I think Mauviel’s gone downhill as far as quality. It seems they’re just riding now on their past reputation but serious collectors would know better, I think. At some point, they will realize if they have no quality offerings, they have shot themselves in the foot. I’m glad I got the one pan, it’s not really difficult to handle but I’m sure a larger size would have given me some issues. This one’s a 26 cm.

Good to see you, too, Claus, I’ll try to check in from time to time.

2 Likes

Sorry to divert back to the OT, and I missed some of the banter… but I still regularly use my Prolines in three sizes. I also use the highly underrate “searing pan” from the Industry line which is a cut down Proline with the Industry handle. And the Plancha. I also have a Demeyere NS. I also use a vintage cast iron but my Mauviel SS copper rarely. I also go rid of my carbon steel. I only use my newer CI for dutch babies. Interestingly enough I use my copper sautes, however, while my Atlantis and AC CC sit by the side.

1 Like

I like my 32cm Proline and my 28cm Pawson (same construction) quite a bit. I have to admit these pans haven’t gotten a lot of use this year, but that’s mostly because in the summer we cook outside as much as possible, and during the winter I often focus on dishes that do just as well in a rondeau or sauté pan. We use a lighter weight 24cm Zwilling Sensation frypan (by Demeyere) for sautéing small batches of vegetables. This is more of a “heavy frypan” issue in general and not specific to Proline (if we still had cast iron we wouldn’t be using that either).

But to answer the rest of your questions:

Yes, the Silvinox helps cleaning tremendously, although, as others have stated, it does not prevent the carbonized oil build-up. I don’t attempt to make the pan spotless every time this happens, but every now and again I hit it with the Dawn Power Dissolve. It cleans up just fine, and it’s honestly not a big deal. I would just add that the polymerized oil issue would happen with any pan capable of being used the way most people are probably using the Proline. It’s a pan that can handle a lot, and so people tend to throw a lot on it, rather than other types of pans that we would intuitively treat more carefully. Other rugged materials of the non-stick variety (cast iron, carbon steel) have their own maintenance issues. People can pick their poison. The Proline can do everything those pans do and, when use properly, is much more versatile.

No other pan has given me a better searing result. I would say that if you want to sear a single steak in the middle of the pan that cast iron (heated slowly) can create the same result. But again, a Proline heated with care can do everything else better and without the polymerized oil issue.

The Proline is the go-to pan for searing beef and chicken. For searing chicken in particular the Proline can really dial in on the right temp and I can fit a lot in it, even on the sidewalls, and everything cooks evenly. This is something I wouldn’t even attempt on another pan, so it’s really impossible to compare. It’s really in its own category. All that said, I would definitely use it more if I had less options (and didn’t have young children). Practically speaking, I think the strength of the pan is also its only weakness; it can do anything you want it to if you don’t get carried away with the flame. So on the one hand it’s kind of indestructible, and on the other hand if you don’t know how to cook/manage the fire it’s not going to be a very versatile tool and will be a pain to clean in certain respects.

If I lost the Proline I have I would probably buy it again. I might not jump to do it right away. Knowing me, I’d find something else with good resale prospects to experiment with for a bit. But I suspect that I would ultimately want the beast back because, unlike most cookware, I would feel that my batterie was missing something significant without it. There would always be those one or two applications that I would know could be perfect on the Proline.

4 Likes

Very well put.

1 Like

Back on track: I like my proline (apart from the polymerisation). I also happen to think it’s a very nice looking piece of cookware which also helps.

Before the Fissler or CS gang come for me, I also have and like these pans.

3 Likes

Prolines are good pans for general use. There are many happy Demeyere users - I won’t contend that.

But some people on these boards speak about the Proline only in superlatives. That is just not warranted for - people should get an honest assessment of its pros and cons.

I’ve used a Proline for 2 years and stick with my original conclusion: there isn’t one particular thing it excels at. For any given food there is always another frying pan I’d rather choose.

2 Likes

Sorry folks, to make Cookware board discussions relevant, very off topics and personal remarks are removed. Those posts belong to personal messages. Thank you for your comprehension.

3 Likes

LOL, apparently including… you. IIRC, you recently admitted here that Proline is the best clad ever made. That’s not a superlative?

It’s like saying who is the tallest dwarf.

1 Like

Zealous hyperbole, but it’s still a superlative.