Any Demeyere Proline pan owners ?

I have examples of basically everything discussed and really like the proline that I own. Also helps that I only paid $75 for it (WS outlet had 6 of them on the shelf — half were marked as $99 and the other half were $229, both prices before the 25% store wide discount).

Outside of polymerization, my annoyance is that I really don’t want a helper handle (which the non-pawson 28cm and iirc both the 32 cm pans have).

The only other note I have is that it’s really really big for a 24cm pan. Compared to a de buyer carbon pan I have that is also listed at 24cm, the Demeyere’s floor area is way bigger and the lip goes way further out. The 24cm lid from falk barely covers the demeyere and I can get away with using a 26cm lid if the 24cm is already in use. I take pics if anyone is curious (will be a couple days — I’m away for the weekend)

Fwiw, what else I have kicking around
Carbon: 24cm/28cm de buyer mineral b pro and a 11in blanc creatives skillet
2.5 bimetal: 28cm matfer rondeau
2.0 bimetal: 16cm de buyer prima saucepan
Copper couer: 24cm falk saucier

1 Like

I’ve now used the pans a bit more - and I’ve already seen the first cases of polymerization, that’s very hard to remove on the sidewalls of the pans.

This is an annoyance I knew would be there, because I already had the same problem with my Pawson pans.

But still I have to say that this is quality pans from start to finish.
When you hold them, when you look at them and when you cook with them.

Are they ideal for everything - not in my opinion, but they can be used for pretty much anything as long as you are aware of, that they will retain the heat almost like a cast iron pan.

Yes, the 24 cm is a big 24 cm pan, but on the other than the De Buyer & Matfer 24 cm pans are also on the smaller side.
The 24 cm Proline is the perfect pan for one large steak and then you have room for the garlic & butter and space to butter baste the steak.

I’ve cooked in smaller pans, where I barely had the space to butter baste the meat.
Just as a pan can be too large, a pan can also be too small.

The helper handle on the 28cm is unneccessary in my view. I can see the benfits of it on the 32 cm size, but on the 28 cm version…come on.

But all in all my 2 Demeyere Proline pans are worh the money I paid for them.
These 7-PLY pans are really solid performers for me.

If you want a solid heavy pan with lots of heat retention and heavy feel and you don’t want to worry about using acid liquids in your pan - the Demeyere Proline 7-PLY frying pan is definitely worth checking out.

3 Likes

Can anyone with the 24cm proline comment on the “seal” of the edge? Is the aluminum layer protected/fully encased in the 24cm pan? I have read some reviews online that mention that their 24cm pan wasn’t sealed (and yet a larger proline they bought was sealed), and another review of it that said it was only sealed in more recently manufactured ones.

The reason I ask is I have some fully clad saucepans where the aluminum between the stainless steel exterior layers is exposed, and after years of cleaning in the dishwasher this aluminum layer on the edge has eroded away to the point where I have actually cut myself on the exposed steel layers.

The newer models of the Proline are sealed.

Don’t throw away your old saucepans ! The problem is easy to fix. Just sand the edges with some sandpaper like 3M wetordry.

1 Like

Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks but I’m not keen to try sanding off 2mm+ of stainless steel :joy:

I did that on a friend’s de Buyer Affinity frying pan 3 years ago. The gap was about 1mm max, probably less, but I didn’t go all the way to the middle layers. I stopped as soon as the edge became blunt enough. It worked.

This. All’s needed is to break the sharp edge.

1 Like

You’re welcome.

If you look at the Belgium shop where I bought my two Proline pans, bestsale.be , they specifically mention the Proline pans with the sealed edges.

My two have the sealed edges, but I’ll never wash them in the DW, only by hand.

2 Likes

I see, basically dulling the edge. I am still using the saucepans for now, just taking more now care when moving them around.

I bought the 9.4 inch/24cm pan a few days ago.

Mini review after a few uses: built like a tank, comfortable handle, seems to sear well. Sealed edges. Thick and heavy but still flippable. I like that there are no rivets inside the pan. Good size for a 1-2 person dish. I like it.

3 Likes

Dear Claus, hope you are well.

So you bought two more prolines. The only one I kept was the 24 cm one and I really don’t use it anymore but then again, it’s buried under other pans and not very convenient to get out as the 24 cm Falk rondeau for my mushrooms and vegetables. The 28 and 32.5 cm Prolines I gave up because they were too heavy for me with the long handle and just harder to handle. Also was sick and tired of getting off polymerized oil.

Which you will have that problem with the proline just as you did with the John Pawson.

I believe the culprit is that the Demeyere pans are not really a smooth surface but have microgrooves, I call them tiny concentric circles. My Lagostinas are very smooth inside, I can practically lift off the fond it creates when I remove the meat. All very easy to clean. Same with my other pans.

I got polymerized oil on the bottom of my Fissler 32.5 cm serving pan, which is pretty rough, and had to really go at it in getting it off. It reminded me of the Prolines. Otherwise, the inside of the Fissler and outer sides are much easier in removing oil splatters.

I think the rougher the surface, the harder to clean. Kind of like roughing up a surface before painting, staining or varnishing so it sticks better.

I don’t see any difference in searing in the prolines vs the other SS pans I have. I think I get a better char with the old cast iron. The sear is pretty good with the copper frying pan, you can steadily increase the heat faster instead of waiting forever for a thicker aluminum vessel. I use the copper when I want to do a particular sauce and like being able to adjust temperature quickly, and if the meat fits in it, but I also count the low sidewalls.

I wish you the best with your new pans, Claus.

4 Likes

Hi VFish,

Remember when I told you I had an alternative to a knife block that didn’t take so much space?

Here it is finally:

The big knives have individual vertical magnetized slots, and the small knives have regular slots. There’s also a place for shears and a honing rod.

Ray

1 Like

Hi, Ray, that’s very interesting, thanks for remembering and showing me the picture. I’ve also heard magnetized boards end up magnetizing the knives but I don’t know if that becomes an issue. That looks very nice.

My block is full, at least it’s toward the end of my counter top so not in my prep space and I can still reach for them easily.

I was looking into a magnetized wooden bar to hang on the wall to hold a cleaver but I’m just keeping this one cheapie in the nice box it came in and in a drawer especially since I’m not too keen on it for my smaller hands so only get it out on occasion, as in, if I feel like it.

2 Likes

Hi VFish,

I’ve just done a workspace reorganization to make sure that everything I need is grabbable and it’s worked out well. My countertop is more usable even as I’ve added or updated some equipment.

Ray

2 Likes

Welcome! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great to see you here, VFish!!!

Hope you’ll stick around. Your presence is needed.

I’ve managed to get quite a few enemies in the short time I’ve been here, just like on Chowhound (so nothing new), but the moderator here, naf, has been excellent in communicating with me and is one of the reasons I chose to stay here on the forum.

It’s so nice to hear from you again.
I’ve missed you, VFISH.

Cheers, Claus

2 Likes

Hey VFish,

You’re right.

Polymerised oil stains is the big problem with Demeyere 7-ply frying pans no matter how they try to advertise their Silvinox finish.

My two Proline frying pans are replacing my two Darto and my two De Buyer Mineral B Pro frying pans, so I’ve accepted to live with the polymerised oil stains.
Once I accepted to live with these stains, the Demeyere Proline frying pans have become the - so far - best searing pans I’ve yet to own beating my Mauviel M250 copper pans and my carbon steel pans too.

Well not replacing - I’ll keep my carbon steel pans.
Unfortunately I sold my two Mauviel M250 frying pans. They now are no longer in production and I could have sold them for triple the amount.

1 Like

I hope you stay, Claus. I am glad you are here and enjoy reading your posts. We are like a big extended family.

3 Likes