Any Demeyere Proline pan owners ?

That’s a relief.

There are different philosophies about whether heated sidewalls are desirable, and I’m aware of yours that it’s undesirable. However, there’s no denying that fully clad greatly increases the cooking surface compared to disc-based pans of the same diameter. For instance, a 28cm disc-based frypan has <26cm diameter cooking surface, whereas a 28cm clad pan effectively has a 36cm one if you need it.

Then there’s response. When the time comes to reduce heat, conductive sidewalls will actually sink and shed heat, whereas thick disk tends to accumulate and hold it with nowhere for it to go but into the food. On glass tops, this can make poor downward response even worse. For things like browning butter, even lifting the pan often doesn’t prevent blackening.

Then there’s stored heat. I’ve demonstrated several times that a Proline stores slightly more heat than does a same-size thick disk.

Head-to-head, the disadvantages of Proline are added weight and very slight unevenness on some already very uneven hobs, notably induction.

2 Likes

damiano,

In the USA, All Clad is the elephant in the room. After all, they patented cladding in the first place–and even have (or had) a 7 ply–built like a tank–alternative to the
Demeyere Atlantis pans.

With the opportunities afforded by EBAY here, Demeyere has to have a huge price value margin to a cookware enthusiast to make the leap–and mostly, they don’t.

On EBAY, there are approximately 3000 pieces of All Clad cookware available right now–and 100 pieces of Demeyere cookware.

I went from Demeyere near fanatic to skeptic. Even without adding in products you have commonly in Europe that we don’t have here, there are many really good pans available to an enthusiastic home cook other than Demeyere.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Even though not addressed to me, I agree.
Demeyere is not the be all end perfect clad pan maker, but in my view Demeyere is the overall best clad cookware maker based on all the models they make and the design and ergonomics of their pans.

Mind you I’ve only tried cooking with an All Clad D3 frying pan, and it performed great - on par with my Mauviel M’Cook.

But if was to personally choose between Demeyere and All Clad, I would pick Demeyere every single time since I dislike All Clads handle design, the big AllClad rivets and the all clad handles feel even worse than Mauviel handles for me.

But I understand if people buy All Cksd over Demeyere in the US, if Demeyere is 2-3 times more expensive over there.

Hi Claus,

The All Clad 7 ply has/had a different handle and comparable performance to Demeyere:

Ray

Thanks Ray,

I wasn’t aware of All Clad had made such a pan, but still the reviewer gives the edge to the Demeyere Proline.
And the All Clad D7 was discontinued in 2018.

But as I’ve said in another post, I don’t believe the perfect pan exists, and the Demeyere Proline is certainly not the best frying pan out there.

The Proline has some flaws like being too heavy for some people, not ideally shaped to jump sauté vegetables, will sustain heat in the pan for a long time, so not responsive enough for some cooks (low ups & downs in temperature) and will be hard to clean, even with the Silvinox finish. Plus it’s very expensive.

I got my two Proline pans on sale at bestsale . Be for €315/$332 shipped (24 & 28 cm), and that’s a fair price, yet still quite expensive.

Of course, it’s my only experience with a clad frying pan. Perhaps Claus is better equipped to make that judgement as he also has Mauviel M’Cook.

1 Like

Yeah, maybe. But we know Claus favors saute by jumping in thin copper frypans, which reduces both the importance of evenness and utility of sidewall contact. He also mostly sears in carbon steel, which also de-emphasizes both evenness and heat retention.

I’d be curious what pan Claus may use for a large batch of frickadeller, where he wants the meatballs evenly and uniformly browned without moving the pan a lot. Maybe he just rolls 'em around by frequently Jiffypopping. When I make meatballs on the stovetop, I want the evenness, sidewall heat and and heat retention that thick copper or aluminum provides, and the Prolines are wonderful at that.

I love my proline fry pan! I find it is very easy to clean and it still looks brand new. But I have been accused of being fastidious about cleaning and most of my cookware still looks rather new. I use it every time I need to sear meat. It does a great job on steaks. Would I buy it again? If I could get a deal then by all means. Having said that, my husband prefers the copper pans for searing. I think it’s because he likes the look of copper better, I did get him to admit once that the proline did an excellent job.

3 Likes

Yes, I have two. 24 and 28 cm. I have never loved them, and I’ve tried. I find the finish very hard to maintain, even with BKF. And no, I’m not even talking about polymerized oil. I realize now that I had an old Viking skillet evidently from back when Demeyere made them that was basically the same pan (although I suppose it didn’t have a sealed rim). I gave that pan away, which was a huge disappointment to me because I’d wanted one for so long. Maybe I’ll haul them out of the drawer and try them again this week.

2 Likes

Well I just received my two pans from bestsale.be

They look wonderful.

I’ll give them a test over the next week.

Thursday:
Used both pans for browning 3 pork tenderloins - two in the 28 cm and one in the 24 cm - and as expected they did a formidable job.
Then made a batch of mushrooms, bell peppers and onions - I was able to jump sauté the mushrooms in the 28 cm just fine, but I can see why some would find it too heavy and unbalanced. Both pans performed great.
Finally seared a batch of danish bacon in both pans, stellar even searing result.

Pans were a bit messy. A few polymerised oil stains on the sidewalls, maybe from the bacon.
Did manage to get both pans clean.

Friday:
I made a batch of my home made
stout infused frikadeller (danish big type of not so round meatballs) in both pans.

A bit of sticking at the start in both pans, most likely my temperature control was a bit off. But as the frikadeller got their natural crust, they released just fine from the pan. I do my frikadeller low & slow. Low to medium temperature and slow cooking, 30-40 minutes pr. batch.
Very evenly searing, very nice crust on the frikadeller.
Cleanup was not too difficult.

I still think I prefer to make my home made frikadeller in my Demeyere Alu Pro non stick pans going low & slow, but both Demeyere Proline frying pans did a terrific job.
When the heat gets a bit too high in the Proline pans, the 4.8 mm thickness of the pans makes it take too long to regulate the temperature down.
My Alu Pro pans regulate the temperature down almost as fast as my copper pans.

Conclusion so far.
Great set of pans. Performs wonderfully and as expected very evenly heating.
Not as heavy as I remember them to be, but definitely on the heavy side.
Both pans came in brand new sealed Demeyere boxes very well packed.

I’m making Rib-eye steaks in them next week.
Two steaks in the 28 cm and one steak in the 24 cm.
Will report back how it went.

1 Like

Sounds you are enjoying the Prolines again now, that’s nice.

I want to try those frikadellers. In fact I was thinking after reading your post that I would do it today, but then noticed I should probably use pork (or both) and I only have beef now.

Will definitely want to try the stout there also, but only have ale now and out of soda also (that seems sometimes used also?) :slight_smile:

Going to make a few “steaks” from the ground lean beef from the meat counter now. AND enjoy the ale.

2 Likes

If you want I’ll give you my recipe for frikadeller.

You can use all kinds of beer in it, even fruity IPA, just feel a stout gives the frikadelle this distinctive touch.

I’m not a Demeyere Proline fanboy yet, will probably never be. This thick 7-ply pan is not for everyone, and I feel it excels at searing at high temperature whereas a 2.5 bimetal copper frying pan will excel at 95% tasks in the kitchen. This Demeyere Proline pan is a great piece of well designed & well constructed cookware, but it has its natural limitations because of its thick cladding.

2 Likes

Thanks Claus, yes I’d like your frikadeller so I can do it like a true Dane! I’m currently watching The Last Kingdom from Netflix, lots of Danes here too haha, great series. Or well Eurovision right now, but yeah.

shameless post of my ground beef steak now, topped with butter and garlic.

of

I cooked these in the Lagostina Accademia 28cm frypan today, was good and no polymerization issues as I didnt go too hard at all… I have polymerized a bit on the sidewalls sometimes though even on my induction. Happens a bit easier on the 24cm though.

3 Likes

Hi Pertti,

I pan seared two very similar thick lean patties just last week: one with my 28 cm cladded nanobond, and the other with my Staub ECI 28 cm brasier–on my Vollrath induction. I measured temperature with my infrared gun, and used lids to control splatter and aid the insides getting done.

Both worked very well–looked much like yours.

Hi Pertti,

This looks exactly like what we call ‘hakkeboeffer’ in danish, I don’t know if you call that thick burger patties or thick hamburgers in English, but that’s what it is.

Here’s my recipe for frikadeller:

Ingredients
500 gram minced pork & veal - I never use 100% pork for frikadeller
10 gram salt
2 eggs
1 dl whole milk
1 large onion
A large cup of stout beer
3 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons oatmeal
0,5 teaspoon nutmeg
Lots of black pepper
100 gram butter

How I do it:

Stir the minced meat tough with the salt and let it rest for 5 minutes at room temperature. I do it by hand with a special tool for minced meat and dough, but you can also just use a machine. I get a better feel for the minced meat by doing it by hand. It’ll make you sweat a bit.

It is VERY IMPORTANT that the salt comes in as the first and only ingredient, and the minced meat must then be stirred tough with the salt. The minced meat binds better and will more easily absorb the other ingredients, which are added later in the process.

A Minced meat that is stirred tough with salt as the first and only ingredient will need less flour later in the process and therefore provide a better and more tasty meatball with less flour flavor.

Finely chop the onion with a knife, do not grate it, it gives a sweaty onion taste.

Then mix the onion and pepper in the minced meat. It is important that the onion comes in as the first ingredient AFTER the minced meat has been stirred tough with the salt. This gives a better absorption into the meat.

Now let the minced meat with salt, pepper and onion rest for 5 minutes in the bowl on the kitchen table.

Now add the rest of the ingredients, preferably with the flour at the very end of the process.if you feel you need less flour than the recipe says, follow your instinct not the recipe. I can feel the amount of flour needed by hand stirring the minced meat.

Now let the mix rest for 1-2 hours in the fridge with plastic film on.

Fry the frikadeller in 1-2 mm rapeseed oil.
I start by making them directly in the pan using two large spoon or one spoon and my hand.
I place the first one a 12 o’clock then the next at 2 o’clock and so forth.

I fry them low and slow. Medium heat and patience.
Just before turning the frikadeller the first time, I’ll add the 100 gram butter in small cubes in the pan.
The fat in the pan should now go ⅓ up the frikadeller.

Now it’s time to turn them the first time.
Keep the temperature at medium heat.

Now butter baste the frikadeller with the fat in the pan and continue to butter baste them throughout the rest of the cooking time once every 4-5 minutes.

How long the frikadeller needs in the pan will vary depending on the pan, the stovetop and how dark you like your frikadeller, but I typically give my frikadeller 30-40 minutes at medium to medium-low heat total.
I want a nice dark almost black crust on my frikadeller.

Cheers, Claus

2 Likes

Thanks Claus, I saved the recipe and will follow it for sure. Probably at some point in the next few weeks.

The patty or hakkeboeffer here in Finland would simply be called jauheliha pihvi. Translates into minced meat steak/patty.

2 Likes

I just want to put my earlier comment into context. Claus, I’ve already mentioned how I love to try your frikadeller recipe. But I don’t see this as ‘high heat searing’. I’m sure you know what I mean and that you also use the Proline for high heat searing, i.e. where no liquids are involved (at least while the protein sears) and where there is actually high heat.

The frikadeller recipe seems to lend itself for a wide array of well-suited pans imho - as lots of fats are added, including butter with its low burning point, and the heat is also kept low.

I’d probably use my Mauviel copper saute pan (24 cm) for smaller portions. But I could just as easily use enameled cast iron, eg my 30 cm low Le Creuset dutch oven, or a cheap Paderno GG paella pan.

I’d pick all these other cookware options over a Proline. It kind of makes my earlier point: imho the Proline is a good pan, but for any given cooking task there will be a pan I’d much rather use.

1 Like

Hi Damiano,

You are totally correct.

Normally I would never use my Proline pans for frikadeller - I’m just testing the Proline pans out since I just got them.

You are again absolutely correct - Frikadelle is not high heat searing at all. In fact I use medium to low temperature, when making mine.

As said I just wanted to test how the Proline pans performed making frikadeller. And they did just fine, though they did cause a bit more sticking than I get using carbon steel or non stick pans, but I could have guessed that.

I do occasionally make frikadeller in one of my carbon steel pans, but my overall clear favourite for frikadeller is one of my Demeyere Alu Pro non stick pans - and I believe any non stick pan would work nicely for frikadeller, as frikadeller can stick a tiny bit and should only be fried at medium to medium-low heat, almost simmering away in its own juice and butter.
Searing frikadeller at high heat will cause the butter to burn.

Cheers, Claus

2 Likes

I raised Frikadeller as a good example of the advantage of the Proline’s evenness. I don’t like to move meatballs as they’re browning, and like to use the sidewalls. Unless one has an extremely even hob or uses a very small pan, you either have to move or suffer uneven browning. A 12" All-Clad or carbon steel just won’t brown as evenly without playing checkers with the meatballs. You can do this with >3mm copper, too, and if you only want to utilize the pan floor, thick disk. 2.3mm copper is a happy middle ground.

There’s nothing high-heat specific about Prolines, other than they don’t thermally crash as fast or as much as most other pans. So you might get a quick, even sear on 3 small steaks at once, rather than firing them separately.

1 Like