An excess of mushrooms - what to do with them

On the other hand, there’s Shirley Conran’s famous quote - “Life is too short to stuff a mushroom”.

I’m with Shirl.

1 Like

How about if we just eat mushrooms that someone else has stuffed?

4 Likes

That was prepandemic life that was too short to stuff a mushroom. We are headed back towards a lockdown in Ontario, I’m heading out to stock up on gruyere!

Oh, that’s fine. I’ve no “in principle” objection to the stuffed mushroom. It is all a bit 1980s though. But then, at my advanced years, I’m all for a bit of retro

2 Likes

My first parties I hosted, as a 20something in the 90s, included stuffed mushrooms or marinated mushrooms! It was also what I brought to other people’s dinner parties if asked to bring an appetizer.

Haven’t made them in 10 years .

From 2010-2019, I had been making Stilton, Gorg or Cheddar stuffed dates wrapped in bacon for my parties.

I like stuffed stuff.

1 Like

I love stuffed mushrooms but they’re a pain to make. And go too quick!

I still make them sometimes, though… they are so much better made than purchased prefab.

(But I would not make them when there are a lot…)

It’s probably one of those “just for me” foods at this point - having previously made them to bring to people and for thanksgiving :joy:

2 Likes

I’ll be stuffing on Christmas Day for one of the canapes.

Cut cherry tomatoes in half, scoop out the inside and leave to drain cut side down. Stuff with pesto. Secure one tomato half on a cocktail stick, add a piece of mozzarella, add the other tomato half, “sandwiching” the cheese. A Delia Smith idea from her 1990 Christmas book. Still works for me!

2 Likes

TorontoJo brought BLT stuffed cherry tomatoes to one of my potlucks a long time ago, which were another nice way to stuff a tomato for an appetizer!

Kudos to you for the scooping and stuffing, @Harters!

I cheat by tossing pearl mozzarella in the pesto :roll_eyes::scream:

1 Like

Great idea. Pearl mozza isnt reliably available here. We’re doing our final “fresh things” shopping on 23/12 but I’ll look out for it then.

3 Likes

It would work just as well with cubed mozzarella - I just meant I’m too lazy to cut and stuff the tomatoes!

1 Like

Yes, I agree completely when you add cherry tomato, which is also very tasty

Cubed mozzarella is fine.

I also think the mozzarella is fine, very tasty!

Mine too. They have so much more flavor than the bland white ones

1 Like

Another thing I like to make that uses a lot of mushrooms is turnovers or little half moon pastries - can use phyllo or puff pastry for the triangular shapes, or puff pastry for the half moons. Square or rectangular ones would be just fine too, whatever you fancy. Sautée the shrooms in butter or OO, with finely diced shallot or onion, add some fresh or dried herb ( thyme always works, fines herbes, savory, herbes de Provence - whatever you like) S&P, and a little grated gruyere, soft goat, or Parmesan or Romano cheese, or a combo. Light on the cheese IMO, you want the mushrooms to be the star.

Fold as for tyropita, or make other shapes to fill and crimp. Brush with egg wash, sprinkle with Parmesan (or whatever) and bake at 350 until golden. Cool slightly before serving. These will disappear.

5 Likes

mushrooms are often common sidekick to a lot of wild rice recipes

1 Like

My most recent use-up mushrooms dish is sautéed mushrooms, mixed with sour cream, chopped dill, black pepper.

1 Like

Made this (more or less) tonight:

4 Likes

Vietnamese mushroom hor mok, an intensely flavored steamed custard. Dippable or spoonable, but incredibly delicious either way. I see that recipe behind NYT paywall. Sorry.

1 Like