All the things you do with beets

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned my favorite thing to do with beets (or order them): patsaria me skordaliá, i.e. roasted or steamed red beets with supergarlicky potato dip.

I find beets work best when they have a salty counterpart - another favorite is sliced beets with feta, oregano & olive oil.

3 Likes

And by Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock!I wonder if it is in the cookbook I have.
Sending that one to Paprika!

@linguafood , I bought some Israeli feta just to go with.

1 Like

Skordalia is a garlic dip (skordo) more than a potato dip. It can be made with potatoes or with bread. :garlic:

The bacala (bakaliaros) with beets and with skordalia is a trio that goes together during Lent and other days that Greeks fast.

There’s more potato/bread than garlic in the dip, though no? It’s not like toum. I prefer the potato version :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure, but onion dip is also more sour cream-mayo than onion. Lol. The potato/bread is the vehicle for the garlic.

Another variation from the North.https://www.dianekochilas.com/giant-bean-skordalia-with-crunchy-spicy-nuts/

Thanks all! I used a bunch of your ideas and made this salad.

There were lettuces from the garden, some preserved lemons from last year, and some orange jamalade I made in the dressing.

Also Israeli feta, pistachios, s&p.

3 Likes

I have a cooking blog called The Kitchaissance Blog and I made a Harvest Grain Bowl with roasted beets along with roasted parsnips, carrots, sweet potatoes, and red onion.

I like the look of this. I won’t make it tonight, but I’m going to combine roasted beets with cooked spaetzle, toasted walnuts, sage and parmesan tonight.

2 Likes

I save the juice from the can of pickled beets and add it to cooked white rice. Its both a fun flavor and color.
This picture’s color is a little off, but that is my camera. Trust me, its a fun “pink” color.
I can’t bring myself to throw the red pickled juice out, so I make for a nice side dish.

1 Like

Use it to pickle hard boiled eggs.

4 Likes

When I have pickled beet juice, I put hard-boiled eggs in it for a day or so. We love pickled beets and eggs.

1 Like

I can’t remember all of the ideas posted here, but we had dinner out a few weeks ago and shared an appetizer/salad of beet carpaccio. They used two colors of beets, sliced paper thin with “goat cheese cream, arugula salad, champagne shallot vinaigrette” and as I recall, there were chopped pistachios on top. Almost made me want to risk getting out my mandoline…it was so colorful and delicious.

4 Likes

Thanks for the idea, I’ll try it next time!

1 Like

With toasted pine nuts instead of walnuts

3 Likes

put them in a plastic bag and heave into the trash

Why not compost them? :wink:

1 Like

You mean you can do something else with beets besides borscht? There is soup and then there is borscht. :blue_heart::yellow_heart:

1 Like

I only buy fresh beets with tops - and almost to exclusion, only from local farm stands.

I boil/cook them in vinegar&sugar&water - then sliced for consumption.
there is one brand of ‘pickled’ beets in a jar that is decent - Aunt [sumpthin]
big name brands are usually not good; Harvard beets - don’t even think about going there…

2 Likes