All-Encompassing Term for Pancakes, Waffles, and French Toast?

From the CBC

“Hangovers can’t be cured with sports drinks or poutine: scientists”

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3210322

true, but sports drinks and food go a long way toward relieving the dehydration and low blood sugar from a night out.

I came across this post when researching if the 3 foods had a common category to fall under. The USDA has them listed as Griddle Breads, perhaps because they all contain flour and at least in America, can be considered a starch of a breakfast meal. That’s my best guess anyways. Glad to know I was not alone in wondering this very question. :woman_red_haired:

1 Like

I’ve seen them under the heading For Something Sweet on some brunch menus.

1 Like

Yeah, “from the griddle…”

1 Like

Works for me. “Griddle breads” kinda has a ring to it. I eat them once, maybe twice, per year. Real maple, when I do.

1 Like

Diabetes? Just kidding. Childhood memory?

1 Like

Sometimes science doesn’t know jack. The key to drinking alcohol is consuming water and food, IMHO. Do it while consuming, no hangover. Still, love a good breakfast; but I go savory over sweet. The only semi-miracle cure for a hangover, if there is one, is watermelon, or just fruit salad. papaya and pineapple are also big helpers for those who overconsume.

I was so disappointed a B & B in Quebec served French toast, muffins, donuts and fruit yogurt for breakfast, when my cousin, her diabetic husband and I stayed overnight.

I’ve never liked French toast and have been avoiding sweet breakfasts for 25 years. I hadn’t considered telling them I didn’t like sweet breakfasts, since it isn’t an allergy or a food sensitivity. Also, in my experience up until then, most B& Bs I had stayed at served bacon and eggs or British-style fry-ups. I don’t have any allergies.

Literally everything they had to offer for breakfast was sweet. I wrote up a A- review for TripAdvisor, and the control freak husband-owner wrote me to ask me to replace the critical part of my review. I altered it a little, to get him off my back. That’s how and why his B&B was rated #1 in the region. He bullied anyone who gave a less than perfect review. LOL.

Wow. Even with a A-?

1 Like

Yep. He wanted 10/10. I replied that I didn’t think it was possible to retract a review on TA, and he sent me a link for How To Retract a Review on TA. :rofl:

I don’t think there was any dissing of Americanism here. Heck, dare I say most Americans don’t eat these things mith much regularity, save for kids who have to have a daily Eggo waffle or pancake. These are more treats for the majority. Like having cake for breakfast, with sausages in the cake. :slight_smile: I love sausages with pancakes. It’s a treat, though.

With that, breakfast has been dominated by the worst of American food influences. The HFCS in the fake syrup, pop tarts, Eggos, all sell the worst the US has to offer, in terms of nutrition. When your treats become daily doses, you get things like obesity and diabetes.

Personally, I like fruit for breakfast. If cream is available, yes please?

It is a little sad and unfortunate. I am sorry to hear this experience… you should have said … “You send me one more email, I will take on more point”

3 Likes

This is so old I had to reread the whole thing to remember what this was even about.

The poster pretty much disparaged anything and everything and then got all kinds of hurt when called out for it.

Haven’t read this thread much, but sticking to the topic, I think Breakfast Breads might be a good category, maybe split into yeasted and non yeasted.

1 Like

Pancakes, in general, date back +/- 30,000 years. Maybe, just maybe, somewhere along the way, someone had one of these “snacks” in the morning. Foods evolve and change from culture to culture. What is “meant” or “intended” will surely change over time into unintended consequences. Sorry that humans change so much. Hard to appreciate and keep up, I know.

You’re stuck on “intent.” Intent means something to the inventor. Means nothing to most consumers. An omelette is pretty much breakfast only in the US. In Europe, lunch or supper. What was the intent of the first omelette maker? Only you seem to care about intent.

Either way, I’ll enjoy my biannual carb breakfast. Hope you enjoy some now and again, without making a habit of it.

Pancakes evolved into lumberjack food. The ingredients are cheap and portable to out-of-the-way places. Maple syrup is what it is. Comes out of maple trees. Boil it down and you’re good. Perfect lumberjack breakfast, the way THOSE pancakes were intended to be. Gotta have some sausages with them, though.

That drives me nuts. Most days, I just can’t handle sweets. But my diabetic friends very purposely avoid them, for good reason. Whether it’s for your health or per your tastes, I would think a B&B would offer something savory to be enjoyed.

You should have gone B+ and critiqued a bit more, IMHO. I can’t resist snappin’ back on the bullies.

2 Likes

Actually French toast could fall under a "batter"ed item as the bread slice is dipped in a batter of milk, eggs, butter, sugar, cinnamon to thoroughly coat the bread and then placed on the griddle. So French Toast is made of a batter because without it you simply have a slice
of bread.

1 Like

Yeah, just for the fact that he did that as well as demanded you alter your review? I wouldn’t have done it.

1 Like

You’re both claiming it wasn’t meant in offense yet also saying it’s pointing out Americans’ gluttonous ways and doing a whole critique about how Americans have terrible diets.
Why is it that it’s always Americans’ foods that are eaten the “wrong” way? Why does this only go one way? You wouldn’t call the consumption of foods like instant ramyeon or rice with various side dishes a wrong way to eat breakfast even though in many cultures the idea of such a breakfast is unthinkable and those aren’t considered breakfast foods. Can’t imagine someone telling Peruvians how wrong it is to eat a sandwich of pork belly and sweet potatoes for breakfast rather than just accepting it’s a cultural difference, either.
And I say that as someone who wasn’t born in the USA and didn’t grow up eating an “American” diet and likes savory breakfasts. But it is annoying to me to see the need to take digs at American culture constantly for how things are done that differ from other places.

1 Like