Age Distribution Here?

So, given a few recent discussions, I’m interested in a better understanding of how young our Cookware denizens are.

Under 20
20s
30s
40s
50s
60s
70 or older
Ageless

Thanks

49 3/4

2 Likes

This might make it easier:

• Under 20
  • 20s
  • 30s
  • 40s
  • 50s
  • 60s
  • 70 or older
  • Ageless

0 voters

8 Likes

You’re just tooooo SMART!

LoL.

Thanks!

But, I vote both “Late 50s” and “Timeless” because I had some 2 months of high pressure hyperbaric oxygen treatment for a bone infection that, in the 20 years since, I’ve learned also incidentally likely regrew my telomere length.

In any event, I have no indicia of aging (no forehead or neck wrinkles, no eye/crowsfeed wrinkles), no gray hair, despite being 58 this year.

It upsets my wife, 6 years my junior, who does have all of these. My older and younger sisters, too.

7 Likes

Me too :joy:

2 Likes

Please believe that I mean this with real, heartfelt kindness-
Hang on to your hat, my friend-

2 Likes

Agree, I’ve read all the studies since that time, 20 years ago, from then on to today on the effects of hyperbaric treatment. Some people who’ve had it do suddenly/rapidly senesce.

1 Like

Depends on the time of the day you’re asking.

2 Likes

Oh, I wasn’t talking about your hyperbaric treatments, and hope that sudden senescence doesn’t affect you at all. But I’ve found that getting older has many surprises in store, a few of them good.

Please don’t think I was warning you about anything.

1 Like

No worries! Understand completely. More than one would think - my FIL is dealing with heart failure and what I think is “dithering” by the cardio guys, passing him back/forth between bypass (open heart) vs. potential stenting (we don’t think this is viable).

The problem is, they’ve been doing this volleyball for almost 5 weeks. While he weakens.

Make a danged decision and go with it, already!

[Edit - guess I went waaay off topic there!]

2 Likes

What about our real age, and then the age we eat as if we were…? I’ve never outgrown eating like my metabolism was still like when I was 25.

7 Likes

Its all in the jeans😆
( you know, genetic make-up)

2 Likes

Build a chart… isn’t there a function like that? – Forget it. I see it now.

1 Like

OK, my guess was that as a group, we’re… not young. Seems validated.

3 Likes

Does a young person know online chat boards about food and cookware are a thing? I didn’t even find Chowhound until a month before I turned 30, :joy: , while searching online for empanadas and tamales, for my Cinco de Mayo Birthday Fiesta!

3 Likes

Maybe not, but more’s the pity. They’d be better off dropping the selfies and TikTok every so often.

This will be a challenge for Sampson…

5 Likes

I’m a member of a Discord server devoted to food, which functions very much like this board, and which skews toward folk in their 20s and 30s. So yep, they’re out there.

5 Likes

I learned about Eater right when it first started from younger people I worked with — they were the only ones with AT&T iPhones they could web-browse during the day (because the rest of us needed Verizon phones that would have a working network when we were traveling :joy:)

My younger cousins and friends’ kids are all passionate about food, they’re just expressing and discussing it in different spaces (like discord, IG, TikTok) that they’re already active in.

3 Likes

It strikes me that the question you posed was specifically for Cookware, whereas the responses have been from the general board.

I would posit that the kind of cookware usually under discussion also requires investment, so even if younger people develop the hobby, having the disposable income (or confidence to spend it on a knife or a pot) takes some more years.

5 Likes

Thanks for creating this poll. Very interesting to see these results. Had suspected my age group (30s) probably wasn’t the most prevalent here - but didn’t expect to be the first (and so far only one). I see it as a positive though - so much experience on this board to draw upon!

6 Likes