Advice needed: How do you store your recipes?

A little summary so far for the recipe management system used by our Hungry Onions here.

Note that each person can more than 1 way to manage the recipes:

Cooking softwares: 10
3-ring binders: 6
In my head: 3
text doc on PC or drop box: 3

Other methods include:
PC or mobile device

• imap email
  • drop box cloud
  • kindle reading app
  • favorites in broswers
  • Pinterest
  • subscriptions: Plan to eat, Eatyourbooks

Old school

• file box/drawer (loose clipping from magazines)
  • notebook
  • post-it recipe books

For cooking softwares, 6 use Pepperplate, 3 use Paprika and 1 uses Mastercook

1 Like

Alllllll Byyyyyyy Myyyyyyyself… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I use web and app based system called mealboard.

I do fret about what will happen if the guy who runs it decides to shut the server down. You can only export your recipes one at a time. I’ve got over 400 in there. I’m hoping he adds a bulk export function.

If it is something I’ve found on-line I use Pinterest. If it won’t “pin” then I go to Pepperplate. I use EYB for my collection of cookbooks and to search for online recipes. I have a small spiral notebook that I write down “my” recipes. Several binders hold clippings. There is a dedicated binder for all types of preserving. Still have a recipe box which holds recipes I collected decades ago - still use a dozen or so of them.

I use the EverNote app. I can access on my pc, tablet, and phone. I use it for everything. I have around 5000 cocktail recipes, and hundreds of food recipes. The free app is cloud based, and $45 a year for the offline version.

I use Pinterest for any recipes I find online that include a picture that can be pinned.

I have a 3 ring binder with plastic sheet protectors that I use for recipes out of magazines. When I need the recipe, I just pull out that sheet – the plastic makes it easy to wipe off should anything spill on it.

When I first got married 18+ years ago, I started a bound notebook and use to tape recipe cutouts in that. I still have it, and refer to the recipes in it, but haven’t added to it in years.

This is why I ported my recipes online, it’s so much easier to access them.

A question for the Paprika app owners, are the functionalities exactly the same for the mobile app and the desktop app? I find the price between $5 (iOS) vs $30 (Mac app) is a lot of difference.

I’m using Pepperplate now, nice for online pages, meaning I can search them everywhere where there is internet. A bit limited in categories and search. It is okay for basic usage and it is free, but I worry a bit if I have a lot of recipes, will it be very slow? At times, I feel the site is a bit sluggish.

I was looking at EYB the other day, very interesting but a bit disappointed that the ingredient lists have no quantities. If I was on the street, I don’t know how much I need to buy!

2 Likes

What recipes. It’s why I photo my food. So I can kinda remember what I did the last time :yum:

1 Like

In my phone I have ONE bookmark for IMDB - all the rest are recipes.

In the empty recesses of my mind

1 Like

I use plain text files, but I store them in git, a version control system. Then I push them to github https://github.com/nbirnel/cooking.

I also use the New York Times cooking app, but I am concerned about what happens if they ever abandon it, so I may spend some time pasting all of those recipes into text files and committing them to git.

2 Likes

I bookmark online in google. I have folders and sub-folders for sorting. I pare them down often.

If the recipe is from a library book, I photocopy , then tuck it into one of the few books I own. Sometimes, if I find just one or two recipes I want to try, rather than check out the book, I simply snap the page(s) with my iPad camera.

1 Like

Black Friday Sale! 50% until end of November for desktop versions and mobile.

https://www.paprikaapp.com

I think I will finally get both versions of Paprika, my recipes will be with me all the time, synchronised.

Tried Pepperplate, it is a bit too basic for me, it is nice to see the recipes online. Note that it is an online platform, no physical files on your device, you need internet connect to access your files.

I have Pepperplate and tons of recipes there. Is it worth switching? What is different? Thanks!

I don’t use pepperplate in a big scale, for me auto import from web doesn’t work most of the time. I will test out Paprika and post back.

One note, if pepperplate shuts down one day, your recipes will be gone. Always keep a backup version in PDF format on your computer. I am curious how it survives, since it is a free to use, I guess some users donate money or they are making money from the ads to cover the costs.

You are right. At first I had no issues bringing the recipes over but lately I have to do them manually most of the time. Maybe I’ll try paprika but I wonder about all my stores reipes

So I downloaded the app on my iPad and so far, I’m striking out. I can’t seem to,save the bookmarklet that allows you to import the recipes. I’d like to try it on my computer but I’d hate to pay formth windows app only to find I can’t down,iPad the bookmarklet there either

Does this work for you?

I’ve just got the Paprika app for Mac, but didn’t get the iOS version yet.

Thank you!!