Your most unusual spice

Spanish Adobe is a marinade verses a spice …

It has several ingredients and primarily used for fish which is then breaded and sautéed. And it is made from Scratch and not sold in jars. There is a famous tapa called “Adobe” … (fish) …

Goya is found in Latin Markets and South Americans, use it as a seasoning.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s a cultural thing, but I never thought of Sazon as unusual. (Or recaito, or sofrito.)

3 Likes

The second you call something “unusual,” people will chime in to assure you that it’s not, because they’re very familiar with it. Sometimes these people are me.

5 Likes

I was so happy to find Sazon when I moved from New York to California.
Still, in my home, husband from Jamaica, and I, by way of my mom’s family from Nevis, can’t agree on rice and peas (kidney??!!?), vs peas (pigeon of course) and rice.

But since I do the cooking, my way is the right way! Which includes Sazon with achiote.

BTW, I love the whole history of “adobo” , and growing chinense peppers, from mild to super hot.

4 Likes

Why do you have to choose? Alternate between kidney beans and rice, and arroz con gandules (rice and pigeon peas). (For example, I have three different chilis I cycle through.)

I know! He can make the one he likes, and I can make the one I like!

:blush:

But seriously; I might make “small red beans”, but I am not a fan of kidney beans.

1 Like

Just to let you know, we have been discussing an intervention for you!

1 Like

Goya Adobo no longer has MSG, which is why I use it more often.

Its salt, garlic powder, oregano, and turmeric in the basic version, with alternate formulas containing pepper and lemon and/or pepper.

I’ve lived in Florida for most of my life now…the Cuba population in Tampa predates the last century, so Cuban food is a mainstay, and I’ve become a pretty dab hand at much of it.

2 Likes

It’s a “secret” ingredient in some Indian spice blends

Well, unusual to whom?

How about stone flower - a lichen.

Also kokum, which was a daily use ingredient in my mother’s kitchen, but many (including Indians) are unfamiliar with - regionally specific souring agent, among other things.

3 Likes

I love learning about souring agents. Who knew?

2 Likes

I had the funniest conversation with a friend a few years ago after she returned from a holiday in Goa.

She was waxing eloquent about this amazing drink, and how they asked the chef about it, and he told them about this special ingredient that also flavored curries and so on, and it was so unique, and so on. I asked her to describe the drink - she got as far as “pink” and I guessed kokum. She was shocked - she had no idea that its an everyday ingredient in western (Indian) states - she’s from the northeast. She thought she had “discovered” a rare thing, lol.

3 Likes

An intervention sounds like fun. I can give everyone spices. Let me know what you need!

1 Like

:flushed::flushed::flushed:

An intervention sounds like fun.

:rofl:

Intervention or… swap meet?:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Swap meet sounds good. I’m sure we could figure out a safe way to do it.

1 Like

Only in the last couple of years did I discover a varietal French (basically Basque) chile pepper flake called Piment d’Espelette AOP,. Combines significant heat with a note of herby/sweetness, although it’s just pure dried pepper. Not comparable to any other chile pepper flake/powders I’ve encountered. Very versatile. I had to mail-order mine:

https://www.amazon.com/Piment-dEspelette-Pepper-Powder-France/dp/B002J6ARK6

7 Likes

I don’t know if these count as unusual, but I have meat and fish curry powders, sambhar powder, kurma powder and rasam powder that i bring back from Malaysia every time I go or my parents go. They are local brands that we can’t get here, and have a stronger flavor profile that the indian brands. We bring back bags and bags and keep them in the fridge/freezer to stay fresh longer.

5 Likes

That’s so interesting!

What brands? Wonder if a Malaysian store here would carry them.

Alagappa brand and Baba’s brand. Never seen them online or locally for a reasonable price. They sell a 3 pack of Alagappa sambhar powder on Amazon for $58. They are about $1.50/pack in Malaysia! Whoever goes brings back 15-20 packets or so and my mom and I split the haul and it lasts us until the next trip. I went 2 years ago and still have 3 full packets of meat curry, sambhar and rasam powder in the freezer.

2 Likes