Your favorite spicy restaurant condiment / hot sauce

:rofl:

2 Likes

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: A drive down memory lane, our favorite car related food memories…

At Pho Friendly in Trenton, they have Lao Gan Ma on the tables. It is delicious with meatballs. Love that MSG! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lao_Gan_Ma

3 Likes

This should be the opening scene of your movie. Amazing.

@goodparmesan Whenever I’m at a Brazilian place I eat way too many of those tiny vinegared peppers. Those things pack a whollop!

@paryzer Damn that looks epic… I really need to get my hands on some of that!!

@esjro Damn I can’t believe a restaurant is putting out Lao Gan Ma. Honestly I’m not sure if I’d want that in my pho, the level of MSG-jackedness in there can so easily take over the whole dish. But I bet it would be great for dipping!!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: A drive down memory lane, our favorite car related food memories…

Moderators note: For those of you who were participating in the sub-topic of the cars of our youth, a new topic has been created, you can find the conversation below

3 Likes

Went to Nonna’s in Englishtown last night. I’ve had a lot of excellent meals there, but this Chicken Giambotta outdoes them all. I asked for extra spicy and they delivered. Tender chicken, a flavorful and spicy sauce, crispy potato chips with rosemary, and tons of hot cherry peppers. It was surprisingly wickedly spicy.

nonna

6 Likes

Wow that looks good! I love when places can turn the heat level up. I’m not sure if you have seen the Drews hodown thread, but it will be a real feast! It would be nice to meet you and Justin. I can assure you this will be a wonderful meal. Drew always comes through and Eli did a great job putting this together.

3 Likes

That’s actually a major pet peeve of mine. I’ll say it here instead of the other thread. I despise when restaurants advertise a dish as spicy and it comes out not even mild. I know I can withstand stronger heat than some, but even I can tell when no effort was made as opposed to it just not being hot enough. I despise even more when you ask a place to turn the heat up even more and they say yes but do not deliver. Nonna’s was the exception. When I asked for extra spicy the waitress said, “It is already quite spicy but if you want more we will give it to you.” Yes please!

Unfortunately I cannot make this HOdown either. We would love to meet everyone here. Hopefully some time soon. For now, my cardboard cutout will have to suffice.

2 Likes

Here’s a moment I can share. I used to eat at Bollywood Tadka frequently when my dad was around. Haven’t been there since. Just one of those places I can’t go back to. Anyway, I became friendly with the team of waiters, including one guy named Rakesh who followed my food blog and would like my posts. After many visits of asking for “extra spicy” and them just not quite delivering, I ordered and pulled him aside and said, “I want you to make this as hot as you possibly can.” He said okay and disappeared. Maybe 15 minutes later, he comes out to our table with the chef holding a bowl of peppers. There were red ones and green ones, seeds hanging everywhere. Rakesh says, “I just wanted to show you what we’re going to do to you.” Needless to say, that was one of the spiciest, most painful meals I ever had in my life. But an adrenaline rush like no other. They gave me ice cream on the house. It was needed.

5 Likes

Nice! I have a similar story. The hottest dish I’ve had from a restaurant was at muang thai. (Sans some chicken wings I got in lake placid but that is a different story.)

I have told this before but maybe this was before you joined. I called up and ordered a dish for for my exwife and I. I got drunken noodles with beef. I ordered take out and I had a really bad cell connection. The Thai lady obviously didn’t speak English as her first language so I was off to a rocky start. Compound this with a horrible connection and things weren’t going well. I was asking her to make it extra spicy. She didn’t quite understand me and I said “make it hot”

She was like “I can’t hear you” and I stupidly said hot way too many times as she couldn’t hear me. I think she heard hot about ten times. She probably thought I was insane. So my ex picks up the food and I take a bite. HOT! I WAS STUNNED! So I have another bite and the heat starts creeping on me. I was amazed. I take a third bite and I’m like “wtf did they put in this?” I take another bite and I was floored. My ex says “you don’t look good at all. Are ok? You look like a ghost. Should we go to the hospital?” (Keep in mind she picked the food up and works at riverview)

I ended up throwing it out. Freaking totally ridiculous heat and I can handle some spice.

2 Likes

Wow! Reminds me of a curry I had at a Thai restaurant in Lambertville. I nearly cried. I gotta find a picture of it.

I’d love to see a pic! Deepak is the owner at haldi chowk and he will make you some seriously hot stuff if you ask him. When you’re sweating and snot is pouring out of your nose, it’s hot lol

2 Likes

Oh yes, I still have to drop in for their spicy curry challenge or whatever it is they were advertising.

Here it is. It may not look like much, but keep in mind the dish was already incredibly spicy BEFORE I foolishly stirred in the topper of peppers. It was a LONG car ride home from Lambertville that night. I remember feeling lightheaded.

tida3

5 Likes

Lmk…I’d be happy to meet you and Justin and see if one of us can get on the “wall of fame” :smile:

2 Likes

Still one of my favorite dishes ever remains the shrimp in “Devil’s Sauce” from Los Corrales in Keyport. Sweat and snot-inducing yes, but oh so flavorful. I never ordered anything else after I found this dish.

l4

1 Like

Wow that Thai pic is serious! Wowzers! Nice shot. I haven’t been out to lambertville / new hope in a while. I need to get back.

I remember you liked the shrimp dish. I have to get there too. It looks great!

1 Like

I remember a couple of dinners when my husband was in a “order everything as hot as possible” phase. He would be white knuckling the table and unable to carry on a conversation. Great times…

4 Likes

Let me preface this by saying that I am pepper head and I really like spicy foods. Ive been frequenting of late a relatively new restaurant located in Brick known as Falafel Brothers. These are the same guys who used to run Ibby’s in Freehold. Anyway, they have a serious hot sauce and I can only handle a few drops in my falafel. Anything more and I will be paying for it later if you know what I mean. They will warn you several times before handing the good stuff out. Good luck.

4 Likes