Your favorite salmon that's not common (i.e., citrus + grilled or lemon/skillet seared are the norm)?

Ina Garten has a “breaded” salmon recipe that’s great: google “panko-roasted salmon”.

I nearly always slow roast salmon in the oven at 275. Sometimes with butter, soy and lemon, sometimes with chili crisp, sometimes with very old Moosewood recipe with fermented black beans, garlic, ginger, soy, rice vinegar, sesame oil and scallions for garnish.

If you want to take dinner in a non-Asian direction, slow roast with butter and dry white wine or vermouth.

6 Likes

I’ve been doing piccata-style fish in the oven. Topped with capers, breadcrumbs, etc.

2 Likes

Thumbs up for poached.

1 Like

For me . Skin side down on low … A brush of mayonnaise on top with a little salt . Cook around 9 minutes and flip for 1 minute.

I don’t know if this falls within the parameters of what the OP was looking for, but it’s my absolute favorite way to eat salmon, it’s very simple/easy and always a hit with my friends whether they be Japanese people here or Americans back home. And I’ve never accidentally overcooked it.

https://www.today.com/recipes/miso-glazed-salmon-recipe-t163144

6 Likes

Wow, so many great ideas that I had to bookmark this thread (and that older full thread on “Salmon Inspirations”, thanks @Saregama for posting it), for future reference.

For last night, I did this:

Which turned out beautifully. Nice and easy preparation, yet a very pretty presentation and tasted great.

The good news is that with 3 of us and me over-buying at 3 pounds, I’ve got over a pound+ of trim left. So for today I’m going to make one of the suggested chowder recipes and stick it in the fridge for tomorrow’s dinner (we’ve got an engagement tonight but I prefer salmon get cooked within a day of buying, so I want to get it done).

Thanks again for everyone’s contributions.

9 Likes

Take this with a grain of salt as I don’t like salmon qua salmon. But I love it hot smoked. Especially if you apply a brown sugar or maple glaze first. You don’t need a smoker either. As long as you have a grill that closes and will take coals and wood, you can set it up indirect.

1 Like

Interesting.
I’m just the opposite.
Can’t handle smoked, hot or cold, even though there’s an abundance here, but I love fresh salmon.
And salmon and chips are tremendous, as is chowder :smile:

I’ve done both hot and “cold” smoked. In quotes because I’m not positive it qualifies, but I took an old garment box and hung some dowels for racks and cut a door in the bottom to take a smoldering pan of pear/apple sawdust. I’m pretty sure I got the idea from Alton Brown. Internal temp runs about 140 °F.

2 Likes

It takes all kinds doesn’t it! I’ve actually had salmon and chips before- our local now closed down fish and chips place had it. And it was very tasty. But other salmon besides smoked - pass :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sous-vide to just 116F for 45 minutes, season with an ancho chili rub, quick saute in a skillet to raise the temperature a little (116F is a little disconcerting because it doesn’t feel warm in the mouth).

Quick saute of filet trim bits, served with ramen and veggies in broth.

1 Like
  1. Basted with Soy Vey or Yoshida’s and broiled or grilled
  2. salmon jerkey from Crescent City, Ca
  3. poached with dill sauce
  4. Sashimi
  5. Lox in Eggs El Tovar
1 Like
  1. roasted salmon with miso cream - super delish
  2. broiled/baked with a little honey - I thought it sounded weird, but it’s now my go-to
2 Likes

I’m a big fan of poached salmon. I put a bottle of rose and some aromatics (black peppercorns, salt, dill, chives, etc.) in a large saute pan, add water so the pan is filled enough to cover the salmon.

Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat so it’s at a low simmer. Put in the salmon and cook it to how you like it; don’t forget that it keeps cooking off the heat.

Chill the salmon. Serve it with a sauce of yogurt, cucumber, white wine vinegar and dill.

6 Likes

Smoked salmon pâté. Or salmon and asparagus quiche. I should make the former right now because I have smoked salmon slices (actually offcuts as they are cheaper) in the fridge. The latter I make with leftovers from baking salmon fillets with some butter and lemon slices (all wrapped in kitchen foil) which always leaves a portion over perfect for the quiche.

Gravalax, salmon cured with salt and sugar

1 Like

That’s …lawyerly. :joy:

2 Likes

Haha. I didn’t know how to say it otherwise!

2 Likes

I had a prof in law school who qua’ed like a duck. In lectures. All the time.

2 Likes

Goodness! I had one that always stood on one leg, holding the podium. Like a flamingo :slight_smile:

1 Like