Your favorite dishes with mustard

That looks wonderful, but I know I’d be the only one eating it in my house!

Why is that please?

My husband only likes hard-boiled eggs in egg salad, and my grown-up kid doesn’t eat eggs or mustard. Oh well - more for me!

2 Likes

Does anyone like those snyders mustard and onion pretzels? I’m watching football and wishing I had a bag of those.

2 Likes

A friend once brought her family’s creamed onion recipe to Thanksgiving and it was FULL of whole grain mustard - I loved it! I also really like the pop of seedy mustard with cheese, charcuterie and pate. An endive leaf filled with a scoop of pate and a huge blob of grainy mustard is perfection.

4 Likes

Ha! Those are pretty good! I’m very into those pretzel crisps lately, they’re very thin, and their honey mustard flavor recently which was very tasty but more salty than mustardy

1 Like

Yum!

Thanks, @ChristinaM - HO didn’t notify me that you had tagged me.

@TheLibrarian - here’s the recipe that Christina mentioned. It’s an old recipe from a Panhellenic cookbook my mother had from 1968. Simple, easy, and very good. I think your beer mustard would work nicely.

Chicken Diable

Servings: 4
3 lb broiler chicken – cut up or assorted chicken pieces (I’m using 2 Frankenchicken breasts)
3 Tbsp butter or margarine
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp curry powder

Preheat oven to 375°F. Wash chicken pieces; pat dry. Remove skin, if desired. Melt butter in shallow baking dish; stir in remaining ingredients until well blended.

Roll chicken pieces in butter/mustard mixture to coat both sides; arrange, meaty side up, in a single layer in the same pan. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, basting every 15 minutes, until chicken is tender and richly glazed.

3 Likes

So many things to use it in! Whisked in to vinaigrettes, homemade honey mustard salad dressings, chicken Parmesan, and a really good glaze for ham, recipe follows: for an average sized ham mix together the following: 1 cup orange marmalade, 2 generous T of mustard and 1/4 tsp ground cloves. Slather over ham during the last few minutes of cooking. Finally, we use it on leg of lamb. It goes over the raw lamb leg at first, along with olive oil and tarragon or oregano. It gets broiled for a couple minutes, then we apply the Parmesan and breadcrumbs and bake until medium rare. These are just the things I’m thinking of right now, it’s an extremely versatile item in our kitchen.

ETA: lots of finely minced garlic added to the mustard for the lamb.

2 Likes

Dijon and cognac stew on Smitten Kitchen.