Your Fav Prepared Frozen Foods…

Owned by General Mills, farmed in Sacramento, Ca?

These are the frozen meatballs you are looking for. Only the Angus Beef though…they have a couple of other varieties that are average.

2 Likes

Not sure to what the reference?

For my own sake, I restrict myself to only a couple of frozen prepared foods at a time, or I’d be too tempted not to cook!

In frequent rotation:

• Frozen dumplings / gyoza (most often Trader Joe’s, occasionally from Chinatown)
  • Frozen stuffed parathas (likely cauliflower from Haldiram’s)
  • Tamales (Trader Joe’s chicken these days, now that they discontinued my favorite sweet corn)

This excludes the intentional purchase of a frozen item for immediate consumption, which happens now and again, probably more often than I’d like to admit!

Also 1 or 2 frozen veg kept in stock for a quick side. This may include something “prepared” like mashed cauliflower, or a few mins to being prepared like broccoli or haricots vert.

3 Likes

Yes! to these. I forgot to include them in my list, but Haldiram or other company’s frozen stuffed parathas are also a freezer staple for me.

I also buy cauli rice from the grocery store, but I don’t think of this as a pre-prepared food, because I modify it when cooking, adding flavourings etc.

This is a good point. I don’t know if the Angus ones are at my market but their (Cooked Perfect brand) regular meatballs are. First ingredient - mechanically separated chicken. Then water, pork, beef, and TSP. Not my cup of tea.

Edit - correction, it’s textured soy flour, not textured soy protein. Followed by soy protein powder. Note the “Angus” meatballs also have the textured soy stuff (just in case someone is avoiding soy - I have no problems with it). But no mechanically separated chicken.

1 Like

Recent good frozen prepared stuff:

Cooked confit duck legs
Sweet & Sour pork (add sauce after reheating)

I’ve been using the frozen stuff in my freezer this week:
Frozen kofte
More Mexican Street Corn Fritters
Fish pie (this one from Sobeys was meh)
Frozen seekh kabob- these were a halal brand that caters to a South Asian market and they were a little too spicy and a little too salty for me for me to want to buy them again. Around a 6 Chili on the Salad King chili scale.

I stopped by a Lebanese market and bought a frozen baklava. I noticed they have kibbe and dumplings I may try another time!

2 Likes

@ipsedixit you are consistent.

@TheLibrarian28, a few people mention Stouffers in this thread!

I like the Stouffer’s when they’re on sale at Safeway for $2.50 or so. Otherwise they’re above $4.00 and not worth it.
One of the only fish TV dinners out there.

2 Likes

These are the frozen fish things I buy that I like:
Cooked lobster for lobster salad or rolls
Crabcakes
Oysters Rockefeller
Coconut Shrimp
Tempura Shrimp
Cod cakes
Shrimp dumplings

I haven’t seen any frozen fish dinners with side dishes up here.

I haven’t bought any American-style non-ethnic TV dinners in ages, just some Indian, Thai and Mexican Amy’s meals, and another brand called IndianLife up here.

1 Like

Chef Bombay is a brand I occasionally pick up. The ingredients are decent and the foods actually have flavour.

3 Likes

Good to know. I have seen them at Loblaws, but haven’t tried any yet.

1 Like

I really like those. I had stopped buying them because I had several broken trays, but I’ve started buying them again with no problems. My Walmart only carries butter chicken now. They used to have chicken tikka masala, too. Haven’t seen the brand anywhere else.

1 Like

I’ve often seen them at Zehrs.

I just looked at the box of the Chef Bombay butter chicken I have in my freezer. It says Prepared by Aliya’s Foods in Alberta, Canada. Probably more available up there.

When I was a child in Southern California, I loved Mrs. Paul’s frozen fried clams. For some reason, the only other place I saw fried clams in Southern California was at Howard Johnson’s. For a while they even offered AYCE fried clams, too. Then when Howard Johnson’s went belly up, the ONLY way to get my fried clam fix was Mrs. Paul’s. They weren’t bad and one interesting thing about them was they had a frozen pack of relish, etc. to mix with mayonnaise to make tartar sauce.

As an adult, I’ll never forget going to Boston and having Ipswich fried clams and thinking how much superior they were to any other fried clams I’d ever had before!

9 Likes

My friend and I were just reminiscing about HoJo’s fried clams, so I bought some frozen fried clam strips yesterday. Going to try them in my little air fryer …I will report back. They aren’t Mrs. Paul’s. Didn’t see any.

2 Likes

Just Bare chicken nuggets from Costco, an easy staple for my husband (and sometimes me!); some kind of dumpling/potsticker/gyoza, often several kinds, right now it’s Costco’s beef bulgogi mandu and TJ’s pork gyoza; TJ’s mini veggie samosas; TJ’s veggie masala burgers for me; and usually a TJ’s frozen meal on deck for last minute hungers; plus ice cream - usually Tillamook mudslide. And an extra loaf of sliced sandwich bread or those uncooked tortillas, if those count.

Sometimes, if we have space/get a hankering/an item is on sale/I know I’m not going to have time or inclination to cook in the upcoming weeks or months: a couple of Totino’s pizzas (a very specific pleasure, as we often prefer these over much fancier and pricier frozen pizzas); some kind of breaded shrimp item from Costco; lasagna; corn dogs; fries or tater tots, usually store brand from Kroger or Safeway; chicken wings; chimichangas or burritos.

2 Likes

Love them.

1 Like