Your Fav Prepared Frozen Foods…

That’s my current go-to as well. But they also make a 5 minute version that’s good too.

I can season my own fries . . . I always have a chunk of parm and fresh herbs at hand.

1 Like

Oh, and my local Giant recently had frozen mini eclairs as a freebie. They were pretty tasty and I’d consider getting them again (even if I have to pay for them).

1 Like

I always have various dumplings and fish or meat balls. Also natto and seaweed cups from Japan. All the rest of the frozen prepared goods i have are homemade.

2 Likes

I probably have more Asian frozen foods than the typical American cuisine ones but I do always like to mix it up for quick lunch options:

Frozen dumplings (both steamed or pan-fried kinds)
Flaky scallion pancakes or paratha roti
Mantou (or the plain steamed Chinese buns) - usually wheat varieties
Unagi Kabayaki
Vegetarian glutinous rice dumplings (Li Kou Fu brand) - these are vegetarian versions of the dim sum dish of wrapped sticky rice in lotus leaf
Naeng Myun in the summer (refrigerated, not frozen)
Takoyaki

Hash brown patties (any brand)
Marie Callender’s chicken pot pie
TJ’s frozen chocolate croissants (can’t eat too many of these for sure!)
Morningstar vegetarian sausage links

4 Likes

I’d find a list of delicious frozen vegetables useful.

We eat frozen broccoli at least twice a week (steamed soft, with butter and usually other dairy). Frozen peas, sweet corn, and artichokes a few times a month. All Trader Joe’s brand.

Also Trader Joe’s asian dumplings.
Looks like the edit post option is gone :frowning:

No, it’s still there. Are you looking for specific brands of frozen veg, or?

I’m pretty specific about which frozen veg I buy, as I generally have access to good produce.

But pearl onions, peas, sweet corn, even some frozen fruit like berries or peaches are fine. I don’t like frozen broc or cauli as I find them overly waterlogged after freezing.

4 Likes

The only frozen vegetables I do (aside from exotic things I can’t find fresh locally) are corn and peas. I prefer them over canned varieties, and the frozen corn is only a thing really for Thanksgiving, since fresh corn is out of season then. Every once in a while it might find it’s way into a dish I need to make (like croquettes when I was feeling ambitious). I wish I could plan better one year and freeze my own fresh corn kernels, but I always end up eating them one or another during the summer.

I’ve had to get frozen spinach once to make the spinach dip for a party, but to be honest hated working with it. Was like working with a bunch of wet paper towels - ugh.

3 Likes

wanted to like the centerville pie, but the crust has sugar, which i hate in savory dishes.

in addition to stouffer’s mac&cheese and a couple of bags of broccoli, i always have several packages of trader joe’s cauliflower gnocchi, tj’s gorgonzola gnocchi, plus a couple of packages of valicenti pasta farm’s truffled wild mushroom ravioli.

1 Like

Hmmm… I actually prefer the frozen chopped variety over fresh for my fav creamed spinach (bacon, bacon fat/onion roux bechamel, S&P). A true one pot wonder.

1 Like

I only tried it once, so it may have been a one off, and I’m definitely not used to working with frozen leafy vegetables. I can see how it might work well for creamed spinach, if you will eventually want to break down much of the leaves and stems.

I don’t like using frozen greens. The only thing I would buy frozen spinach for is Knorr spinach dip or maybe hot artichoke-mayo-Asiago-spinach dip.

1 Like

Stouffer’s is pretty good and I sometimes buy their Lasagna. I luv SOS (for breakfast or a quick supper) and used to always buy their creamed chipped beef… until I discovered Hillshire Farms thin cut pastrami.

Now I can throw together a bechamel, chop the pastrami, and toss it in with the perfect amount of S&P in less time than it takes to heat/thaw the Stouffer bag in boiling water… and it is WAY better.

3 Likes

I have put up farmer’s market corn the past two years. The first batch I put in ball jars and froze. They were great for 3-4 months but then the top inch got freezer burn, This year I put it up in freezer bags. I blanched the corn on the cob, iced and cut the kernels off. I use vacuum bags. We will see how this does over the winter.

1 Like

The chopped frozen spinach I buy comes in a brick (no stems), and i just cleaver off the portion I want and rinse/thaw in a sieve under hot water, squeeze it with a paper towel and throw it in the sauce.

1 Like

Pearl onions definitely! I once went to a potluck dinner, one of the dishes of which were pearl onions braised in some sort of port sauce. Fabulous …. The folks had peeled those pearl onions one by one. I was in awe, but vowed that’s one path I’d never journey down.

8 Likes

I like the Pepperidge Farms frozen coconut cake, and several of the spanikopita-type offereings from Trader Joe’s. TJ’s pizza dough is pretty good, too.

6 Likes

Dumplings from a local dumpling place (https://www.newdumplingfood.com/). They pivoted to frozen at the beginning of the quarantine, and I’m happy to keep them in business. Paired with TJ’s cilantro and pork wontons.

Tater tots, I think from TJ’s, and the McBain french fries.

TJ’s battered cod fillets, or their fish nuggets, for fish tacos.

TJ’s Argentinian shrimp, but I guess they’re not “prepared”.

3 Likes

My top 2 favs would be the wonton soup from TJ’s and Saffron Road Lamb Saag. Keep the former on hand constantly (haven’t been to TJ’s in almost a year); the latter is harder to find (and a bit pricy for what you get).

I like the Specially Selected shredded hash browns at Aldi, will buy various Priano frozen Italian items if I’m in the mood.

I’ve recently had the Rao’s individual portion meat lasagna and will definitely get it again. I also like the Michael Angelo’s lasagnas.

I recently tried the Van Camp’s beer battered fish and was surprised at how good they were but I prefer to batter my own fish most of the time. Best I have encountered is Young’s Fish Fingers from England. Thicker/plumper than American style = better fish to batter ratio and good quality fish. Have found them only at Super Walmarts.

I like the Silver Dollar pancakes at TJ’s and Pankakor from Ikea for pancakes. Other than that and hash browns, breakfast is the easiest meal to prepare because anything goes. I have tried the ‘breakfast bowls’ from several suppliers. The best for overall balance of elements is Breakfast Best at Aldi but the eggs are always overdone in any of these and the potatoes aren’t crisp.

4 Likes

I have no answer to the question, but I am getting some ideas!

5 Likes