Your best "stupid, easy, fast and hot" meal....

Lol
And as a Cdn, I’ve been trying to try stuff from all your States . Love walking around a Piggly Wiggly or a Foodland and looking at all the products I can’t get in Canada .

7 Likes

Every state has interesting unique food. Just a lot harder to uncover in some locales
:slight_smile:
I still don’t wanna live in most of em though.

6 Likes

Hahaha I sort of get that. In Canada, I’d only want to live in southern Ontario or Calgary, Alberta. In the States, I’d probably be leaning towards living in one of maybe 10 States, if I could . :grinning: Same ratio, 20 percent of the States or Provinces

1 Like

What’s wrong with BC?
I knew that the PNW was the place for me the first time I traveled thru, but it took a few years to make it permanent.

1 Like

Their politics.
It rains too much.
Not enough sunshine.
I find people in Vancouver a bit holier than thou. I find Victoria boring .

They billed me ( a non BC resident) $600 for taking me a few hundred yards in an ambulance. I would have limped to the clinic if I knew they would charge me 6 months later.

I could live in Kelowna, if I had to.

Vancouver is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn’t live there. Same with Montreal.

1 Like

I’m time-rushed enough not even to be able to study existing responses easily. But I’ll add my two cents:

1. Many of my favorite 15-minutes meals involved scavenging leftovers in the fridge and mixing them. You have some day-old rice, some curry paste, half a red pepper, some other veggies and maybe a protein (some frozen shrimp, tofu, cooked chicken) you’ve got a stir-fry–but you need fish sauce on hand (I go Thai style) or soy sauce and Hoisin for Chinese. It’s wicked fast and good. Having onion, ginger and garlic helps a lot.

2. When your pantry is really empty, pasta is hard to beat. There is an Italian dish called Cacio e Pepe. All you need is pecorino Romano/Sardo cheese (or Toscano or Parm can sub), preferably long pasta, water, salt, parsley. DO be aware that it’s one of those seemingly "simple Italian dishes that can be dashed off in minutes, but you do need to be scrupulous in technique. It moves really fast. It takes longer to boil the water than prepare the dish.

4 Likes

Great two cents BadaBing - and I love your username/alias.

1 Like

In my ingredient list for Cacio e Pepe, I somehow omitted the “black pepper” part for the “Pepe.” Crucial. Lots, and fresh ground. I guess since I’d just said it in Italian, I slipped in English.

There are countless recipes online. I’ll say as to technique that managing the moisture from water in balance with the melting of the grated cheese seems the main hurdle. It goes fast.

1 Like

That video was beautiful! I would love to see those pics of your kitchen if you are willing to share.

Agreed. Times 10.
Those of you who are being cautious about pasta and other carbs for health reasons, please share!

I am partipating in a pot luck tommorow, and planning to contribute red beans, but could use some help with the rice.

That would be me :blush:. My standard sub for rice as a base for something saucy is riced cauliflower or lightly steamed or sauteed broccoli (the florets hold onto sauces really well). I could see spaghetti squash making a nice base for a saucy red bean dish as well (though as I’m sure you know, beans are not low carb).

Anyway, for stupid easy low carb meals I usually turn to eggs (with or without bacon, sausage, etc.). Like @Presunto, I frequently make a meal of cheese (no bread) or cheese and charcuterie with nuts, olives, and/or crudites - whatever I happen to have in fridge/pantry. Taco bowls are another house favorite - frozen hamburger can be thawed quickly in the microwave and cooked with spices to taste, then garnished with canned olives, pickled jalapenos from a jar and other easy things. Not quite as low effort as pasta and a jar of sauce, but close.

9 Likes

A frittata made with whatever veggies and leftover meats/cheeses I have or else a bowl of decent oatmeal with a couple eggs fried in hot pepper oil mixed in.

6 Likes

Hi Erich!
I’d like to hear more about about how to improve my oatmeal’s decency. I believe it has a lot of potential, and I have some nice oats in my freezer, but don’t use them much.

which video did. you see?
the Labor Day video or my kitchen video?
I thought I sent the video only to lamb chop and hungry all the time per their request. Just worried sending them in what’s for dinner as they may be unacceptable for other members.
I can send it to you privately if you like
It is originally 5 minutes but only 3 minutes was loaded ( for what reason I do not know)
Thanks

2 Likes

Hi there. I saw only the labor day video that was outside. If you are comfortable with sharing the one of your kitchen via direct message, I would love to see it.

Ok, look for it in the direct message
This is only a video of my electric cabinet
I can send you some of my kitchen pictures separately but they are not current as the was during remodeling. in 2014-2015
Pictures are only for 2 sections excluding the west side . The n north side is the kitchen electric cabinet and picture did not show all 42 cabinets as too big fr video

probably too big a file to send as some sent pictures did not appear so I sent it again.

Omit the bread/potatoes and use a variety of vegs (and/or meat).

5 Likes

Perfection!

how to improve my oatmeal’s decency

I didn’t mean to imply that I was an arbiter of a “correct” way to do things - whatever works for you! I apologize if I sounded like a jerk.