Your Best/Favorite Lamb Rib Rack Preps?

Aldi here local has had lamb rib racks (quite fatty) for $10 a pound. I haven’t made these in (estimates…) … at least 20 years.

What’s the best or your favorite way to cook?

Many thanks in advance, as always.

1 Like

I bought a small lamb rack from Costco today, separated it into rib pops and grill panned them. Served with ramp chimichurri.

4 Likes

I agree with @jammy here. I presenting it as a rack for visual effect isn’t important to you, I’d separate into chops and grill or pan-sear with your favorite seasoning and serve with your favorite accoutrements.

2 Likes

Now I want lamb rib choplets.

2 Likes

I trim off the visible fat. Marinate with lemon juice. Sprinkle with oregano and pepper, sometimes also rosemary, roast at 375 or 400 until done.

https://miakouppa.com/rack-of-lamb

1 Like

If I’m going to cut a lamb rack up, I go with double chops. I find it easier to get a good sear and not blow past medium rare/medium (depending on fattiness).

2 Likes

Do you mean lamb breast / belly ribs, or a conventional rack of lamb?

When you said fatty I assumed the former, but all the responses seem to be for the latter…

2 Likes

I thought he just meant considerable fat cap on a conventional rack.

1 Like

*IF presenting :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

post-edit period.

I double-choppedly agree!

1 Like

I’m not sure I’d know the difference. Here’s a top/bottom photo of what I got. I thought it was funny that they’re called “Frenched” because only about 12-14 mm is removed, but OTOH, I’m happy with their version, as I’d rather do that myself and pan-fry scraps.

1 Like

Interesting that we so often read intent & context rather than seeing what’s before us.

Even after your mention of editing here, I went back to the prior reply and it took me 3 times to actually read what you wrote - all other times, I read “If presenting…”.

1 Like

Whew. Crisis averted :rofl:

But srsly this just looks like a reg’lar ole rack o’ lamb. I’ve done seared it whole and separated a bit later to sear the chops separately.

It will be delish either way. It’s rack of lamb :wink:

1 Like

That’s a conventional rack. Breast / belly ribs lay flat, like pork or beef (just smaller & fattier).

This is a pretty classic cut, so it really depends on what you’re looking for.

My favorite is single chops cooked any which way (plain, lightly seasoned with aromatics herbs & spices, fried in egg batter, coated with potato, cooked in an indian gravy). We sometimes do double chops for these, but if it’s being cooked correctly, single is my preference.

They’re great seasoned Sichuan-style with cumin & Sichuan peppercorn too, then pan-seared quickly.

But if you want a wowza, whole rack is impressive for a crowd. Some links on your earlier thread:

1 Like

2 Likes

Call me a hun, but I often bone out a rack of lamb, flash brown the resulting “log”, and finish in the oven for maybe 10 minutes. Pull at 115F. Rest and slice in 1/ 3 - 1/2 inch slices. Deglaze original pan + any slicing juices and serve. Maybe baby red potatoes and ratatouille. Always a rave.

4 Likes

I cook lamb so infrequently that I generally use a tried and true for a rack: stud with garlic cloves, season with S&P and rosemary, and roast at 325F, pulling at 135F internal. In the last couple of years, though, I’ve switched to a Uyghur-inspired prep for leg o’ lamb that features, among other things, a crapton of garlic and szechuan peppercorns, too, so I might be tempted to try that on a rack next time.

3 Likes

I cook lamb ribs on the grill with marinade
marinade: olive oil, lemon juice, chopped garlic, rosemary, red pepper, salt, pepper.
Marinate the ribs for several hours, or preferably overnight. Grill over medium heat, turning occasionally, until desired doneness (usually about 10-14 minutes per side).

1 Like

10-14 min a side will result in a well-done chop, but perhaps you prefer it that way?

yes, my husband likes it that way, I like it medium roast