Yorkshire Pudding

My very bad Yorkshire Pudding-too dense , not enough milk or too much flour.

I used duck fat and the Serious Eats recipe but I think I mismeasured when I made a 3/4 recipe.

I should have added a little more liquid to make it more like previous batters.

Also should have used less muffin tins- I had already filled all 12 with duck fat, when I should have filled 9 with duck fat and 3 with water, since I had a 3/4 recipe.

4 Likes

So how did they taste?

Next time, put them under a roast!

2 Likes

Okay, but not as good as the Felicity Cloake recipe or the Madame Benoit recipe I have made in the past (when I followed the recipe without dividing it)

1 Like

LOL I only used the duck drippings from my purchased duck tonight, instead of butter or oil, because you mentioned the roast.

I had steak last night and only do beef one dinner a week, and did a roast chicken last Tuesday, so it was going to be duck legs and Yorkshire Pudding this Yorkshire Pudding Day. LOL

1 Like

Confession time - we buy frozen Yorkshires, from the Aunt Bessie range.

It’s due to never having success making them. Same failure rate with “toad in the hole”

2 Likes

The vegan thing is so played out, I’m more convinced that someone who dislikes or disdains vegans is more likely to out themselves first.

3 Likes

So much this.

Is “Sunday roast” such a big thing in Blighty? I’ve heard it mentioned a lot by people like Gordon Ramsay.

Yes, it’s still a big feature, although probably not as common as it used to be (families don’t eat together as much as in the past).

It’s not something we generally do, as we not big eaters at lunch. But we often have a Sunday Roast for Saturday dinner. By the by, it used to be the case that Yorkshire Pudding was only ever eaten with roast beef but, nowadays, if you have a Sunday roast in a restaurant, you’ll find you’re served a Yorkshire regardless as to what meat you’ve ordered.

6 Likes

Wow- my mouth just started watering at the full-screen Yorkshire Pudding photo. :yum:

2 Likes

I could live with that.

Quite a few British and Irish pubs in Canada also feature a Sunday roast.

1 Like

I satisfied my craving for Yorkshires with a starter at Hawksmoor.
Potted beef & bacon
Yorkshires & onion gravy

8 Likes

Hawksmoor’s potted beef is epic.

We were there for dinner a couple of weeks back. Started with the bone marrow and onions (served in a split bone) with sourdough toast. Another epic dish.

6 Likes

I studied abroad in England back in 1998-1999. Half of the girls on the floor in my dorm were vegetarian. I didn’t question them about it really but my impression was that some of their families went veg as a result of the mad cow situation.

Oh, ok. I tend to not go to pubs. On Sundays I’m more likely to go for dim sum.

Thanks, Harters. That’s very interesting. I should have guessed there was a religious link to vegetarianism in England. The Seventh Day Adventist religious movement with a vegetarian stance started around the same time in the US.

I was really struck by the presence of vegetarianism in places like Ithaca, NY, and Cambridge, MA, SF Bay area in California, during the mid to late 70s, only to mostly disappear except in enclaves (the health food stores remained) until re-emerging gradually later and now more mainstream and including vegan.

I did more dim sum from the 1990s-2020, often every Sunday from 1990-2010ish, then maybe once a month until March 2020.

Lately, I’ve been on a pub & English breakfast kick.

That said, the places I go serve the Roast for dinner, so it would be possible to do dim sum at noon and Roast for dinner.

My take-out Roast & Yorkshire Pudding, from the Oxley in Toronto.

3 Likes

I remember Guillivers in Burlingame CA

1 Like