Yay! Pomegranate season is back!!!!

I’ve been thinking about this. I know it plays well with raspberries, blueberries and cranberries, and I could see it with some chiles added, and made into a spicy jam. The chiles I’d lean to are habaneros, serranos and jalapeños - in fact a combination of these would be delicious. I’m sure there are many more chiles that you’re familiar with that would also work. I’m not sure how well it would blend with bell pepper flavors, but maybe worthy of a try. I think you could achieve great colored jelly using the Pom juice, along with hot orange chiles for the heat punch. Wonder about recipes online? There may be a few. Maybe something for you to research!!

1 Like

I bought the Can Can brand, which I think is Turkish. I read somewhere that these are commercial grade and are used by juice vendors in that region. These are heavy duty machines, which is great for pomegranate since you do need a fair bit of force to squeeze the fruit cleanly for maximum extraction. When I was doing the juicing using one of the old fashion methods, juicing 1 pomegranate was chore that could take up to an hour. This allows you to extract juice from a whole box in the same mount of time.

EDIT: It’s this one!

1 Like

For those in Massachusetts, Market Basket now has its fresh-crop pomegranates from California.

At the suburban MBs I have shopped, pomegranates are in a giant white cardboard box in an aisle of the produce department. Usually available for a few weeks this time of year.

4 Likes

Curious if you’re seeing the pomegranates hit by the inflation bus too at MB. I was at Stop & Shop today and noticed they have them too; they were “on sale” for over $3 a piece. :roll_eyes:

I found them at Costco last weekend and picked up two boxes for myself. Pricier than last year, but better than that S&S sale price.

1 Like

Yesterday I paid $2.99 for a large, heavy pomegranate at MB. Though I can’t remember last year’s price, the cost seems higher. Stupid inflation bus seems to be hitting everything.

We get good mileage out of a large fruit like that though. The arils add color and flavor to several dishes until they’re used up: salads, roast squash, or small plates. And even a splash of juice collected from fruit disassembly goes into fizzy water.

5 Likes

I was just about to ask you from your post a couple of days ago if you remembered the cost. I remember several years ago getting them for about $1.50 each. But the trucking supply chain is probably one reason for the increase in cost.

2 Likes

From Granada or Valencia: Granadas = Pomegranates …

We pay between € 2.00 and € 3.00 for a kilo depending where we buy them and where they are from.

Earlier, I deseeded 2 very large, juicy pomegranates purchased from the local Acme market. $5.00 for both. I think we got our dollars worth.

6 Likes

Unless I’m calculating incorrectly, you definitely get better prices then we do in the New England area of the U.S. That’s about $2.50 for 2.25 lbs. in the U.S. Although I guess it depends on how heavy the individual fruit is that you buy here. As @tomatotomato mentioned, they’re individually priced, no matter the weight. So you could spend $2.99 USD for one that was about 3/4 lb. or the same price for one that might weigh 1-1/4 lbs.

But it’s New England…poms don’t grow here. So no matter what - we have to pay for those shipping costs.

2 Likes

I believe 1 Pomegrante here is approx 450 grams to 500 grams per fruit … However, only the seeds are utilised. So, it is alot of exterior … i will weigh them - the next time I purchase … i like in salads …

We are growers … Granada is renowned for their pomegranates (granadas in Spanish) ! The Valencian and also Murcia, are growers too. And other southern Andalusian provinces too …

New England ( I was in Boston and Cape Cod) but it was summer … Humid …
is very frosty and cold …

"Where the grapes grow, the pomegranates grow too " !

Wow … Well I can say, that the fruits here are more or less uniform in size and weight.

3 Likes

I shall be heading over to the Mercat (market) today and checking out the Pomegranates. I go to the same “fruteria” kiosk so I shall ask the gent to please weigh up each separately ! He shall ask me why !

I shall tell him, Hungry Onion is a food forum that I frequent and we are having a conversation about Pomegranates … Spanish verses the differences in the E.E.U.U. (Usa).

He will go into a whole historical and cultural explanation about this fruit too !

Ok, shall report on the average weight of our pomegranates !!!

Have a nice day.

3 Likes

Today, ecological pomegranates were 3.95 €uros per kilo …

And they were in the range of 450 grams per pomegranate.

So, a field green and red violet leaf salad and Pomegranate seeds and Sicilian Green Evoo and Balsamic Vinegar from Modena. Simple and lovely. No fuss !

Debating with myself about sprinkling the seeds on a bed of Scottish smoked wild salmon … and field greens surrounding the Scottish Salmon slices …

I shall see.

1 Like

^ This. How I love the combination of pomegranate seeds sprinkled on a salad dressed with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and flaky sea salt.

1 Like

Us too. “Kiss” = “Keeping it simply simple” …

The level of the ingredients are truly bespoken.

An excellent Evoo and a magnificant Balsamic Modena oak aged Vinegar and the field greens and / or lettuces of choice and some pomegranate seeds … and a sprinkle of Basque sea salt ! And all set !

1 Like

These looks interesting.

4 Likes

This is different.

This was mentioned in the Slavic thread.

https://www.azurestandard.com/healthy-living/recipes/russian-layered-potato-salad-pomegranates/
Some versions involve a chicken salad.

As a kid, I loved to eat my way through a sectioned pomegranate. So, I bought some recently, thinking picky Spring Onion might like them, too (he LOVES berries). I gave them to him just now and he said, “at first, it’s good but then the flavor goes away quickly and then it’s crunchy.” But then I had to take the bowl away from him because he stopped eating his dinner in favor of the pomegranate. Makes me happy though - they’re so good and healthy. And he’s willing to try things, which is best of all.

5 Likes

$3.49/each at Wegmans, but they’re perfectly ripe, heavy, red & luscious. Plus one lasts several days for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll link this old thread about Turkish pomegranate tea here.

1 Like