wine glasses

Der maestro says,

“Achtung! Alles Lookenspeepers!

Das computermaschine ist nicht für gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht für gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen das cottenpickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.“

1 Like

Ich am mit ROTFLingskeit übergetaken. :joy:

Anyone here using universal wine glasses? Which are glasses that can be used for all types of wine, including champagne?

The idea appeals to me, and I have already been using a Burgundy style wine glass as such, using it for both red and white wine, but also champagne and even some drinks on the rocks.

To be fair… It’s also just an excuse to try out this beautiful glass by Nude. :slight_smile:

1 Like

we used to, not for all varietals. in the end we’ve settled on a good, smaller Bordeaux glass for most reds and whites.

1 Like

Tapped out on my German. Studied it 4 months in high school, last century :flushed:

That’s my best creative fake Ger-lich - with no nods to my college German prof, whose insults hurled at me still ring in my ears … FRÄULEIN MEEEKAHHHH… YOUR TRANSLATIONS ARE NOT ACCURATE ENOUGH …

We had a President who declared auf Deutsch “I am a breakfast pastry”

Or maybe, “a jelly doughnut.”

now that’s one of the better Germlish phrase turns I’ve seen . . .

mid-1980’s I was working in Germany - “height” of the pc ‘revolution’
so much of the pc jargon did not exist in German . . .
I do luv’ ye olde: ist das gebackedup?

1 Like

“Clicken zie hier.” Forgive my spelling.

Ich bin ein Berliner.

So I guess that means that the jelly is dripping out of your ears.

Bestimmt!!

(They forgave him for that gaffe…)

I had the misfortune of being tasked to translate a legal document from German into English in the early 1990s. No Internet, no Google Translate, and besides, they required accuracy. :joy:
so when I’d finished the first page, I showed it to a German woman I knew, and she said, “I’m German and I don’t know what this means.” Well, that’s because it was written in this language called Legal, and as I remember, I had the opposite problem to you - I struggled to find English equivalents for German terms. Glad I don’t do that kind of work anymore. I’d rather read cookbooks.

Oh, do you get paid to read cookbooks?

I wish.

hee-hee. translating English Legalese into English is a trick!
but indeed, there are words - in both/all languages - that “carry” a specific meaning for which there is simply no equivalent “word” in other languages. one has to ‘describe around it’ . . .

1 Like

And then there is the insane French (and French Canadian) phrase that makes no sense at all: “a woman of a certain age.”

As a wine professional, I have been tasting and comparing wines from different glasses for thirty-five years, beginning with a tasting with Georg Riedl that showed the difference between his glasses and what were standard glasses at the time. I can say that a given wine will show better in some glasses than in others, but it is not possible to be certain beforehand which glass will show a given wine better than other glasses.

What is clear is that the INAO glass, which was somewhat standard when Riedl started his road show, absolutely kills wine and is about the worst possible glass imaginable. If you have any, replace them ASAP.

Otherwise, what you want is a glass of reasonable volume, good balance in the hand, and nice aesthetics to your eye. In today’s market, if you look around, you don’t have to spend a lot of money to get a nice set of glasses. I have some very expensive glasses (e.g., Zalto), and I can’t say that they are reliably better than other glasses I have selected at moderate/modest prices.

3 Likes

Reviewing the conversation above, INAO=ISO. Dump them!

I also abhor stemless glasses. One of the reasons for the stem is so that your hands don’t come in contact with the bowl and affect the temperature of the wine (temperature is critical – most red wines are served too warm, most whites too cold; at least the too cold wines can eventually warm). Additionally, the stemless glasses become ugly as some drinkers have greasy hands that rub off on the glasses.