wine glasses

My dad had a billing machine for his business that used paper tapes.

I remember having a duplicate punch card in my deck costing me about 8 hours in the computer lab but the paper tapes were the worst. Just for grins I had chatgpt write me a recursive line of descent parser the other day, took 30 seconds.

I had ChatGPT answer a question about something I’m teaching - and it was totally, pitifully wrong. Not even close. Of course, I wasn’t asking about code. Maybe I should ask it about wine glasses … uh oh, here goes my day.

Edit: and here is ChatGPT’s answer about champagne glasses:

“What is the best glass for champagne ?

The best glass for champagne is typically a flute. A flute is a long, tall, and narrow glass with a stem and a small mouth. The narrow shape helps to preserve the bubbles in the champagne and the small mouth concentrates the aroma of the champagne, enhancing the drinking experience.

Another option for serving champagne is a coupe, which is a shallow, broad-bowled glass with a short stem. While coupes were popular in the early 20th century, they are less common today as they allow the champagne to lose its carbonation and aroma more quickly.

In summary, while there are different types of glasses that can be used for champagne, a flute is generally considered to be the best option to fully appreciate the unique characteristics of this type of wine.”

I’m not impressed.

I’m a techie too, and am well-acquainted with punch cards (at university, one hole in the wrong place and a two hour wait) and loading an Interdata 50 with a paper tape, but back to our regular programming:

In a boutique in a ski village north of Montreal I came across 4 beautiful Spiegelau glasses (I’m a sucker for beautiful wine glasses) that were on sale for about 1/3 full price. That’s all they had; they were on clearance. So I bought them.

I also have one beautiful Riedel Sommelier Sauternes glass ($100, purchased for the day I can afford to buy a d’Yquem) and one “Les Impitoyable” taster glass.

All for naught. I’m now on a possible liver-destroying medication so have to restrict my alcohol intake; my rheumatologist said one drink a week; fortunately for me he didn’t say how large :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Actually, I am a bit impressed… :slight_smile: This is the perfect answer to the question raised by the OP!

I was about to add to the discussion that I’ve been seeing more and more coupes being used as champagne glass and that I’ve recently bought a few for this purpose… And hence I’d like to get rid of my flutes!

Hang on to them. In 5 years, they will be back.

2 Likes

Here’s an interesting article from “Decanter”

1 Like

I have these evidently-no-linger-available Bormioli Prosecco glasses. Don’t tell anyone; I use them for champagne.

I so hate being out of style.

3 Likes

Your secret is safe with me!:shushing_face: …… but I can’t speak for the rest of the fine folk following this thread!

1 Like

Rather than being “out of style”, I consider it “setting” style. Who are “they” to critique my table?

2 Likes

Off with their heads! (Using the proper cleaver, of course)

I realize now that that comment may have been tongue-in-cheek, but my reason for the purchase was not to stay in style. It was instead to have more than three glasses for sparklers, and I thought I’d investigate the latest thoughts on glasses. I must say that I like it that I don’t have to tilt my head so far back with the new glasses.

I’m glad I discovered “La Marca” Prosecco. I like it more than the others I’ve tried, and it’s available in half bottles.

I was making fun of myself …

1 Like

Mind if I join you ? :smile:

2 Likes

And single serve bottles.

Ordered the glasses! Thanks so much for the suggestion. Very excited and will let you know as soon as they arrive.

WOW!!! I haven’t even thought about alt.food.wine for what…… 20 years??? Googled it and it still seems to exist as a Google Group.

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.food.wine

:roll_eyes: My first ‘adding machine’ at work had large round typewriter type keys and a crank arm. At a later company our machine that messaged our overseas offices used a punch tape roll. I’ve been around a while. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I worked for a wonderful woman who was a statistics nut. I appropriated a Freiden calculator for my desk, the kind that spit out square roots after a minute or so of “ca-chunga-chungas”. No one else used it so It was essentially mine, in an era when the rest used mechanical, no tape, adding machines.

Bring Lugwig!