Wife's birthday dinner

My wife has chosen chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, cream gravy, overcooked broad beans with bacon, and chocolate meringue pie for her birthday dinner. Our son in law is cooking. Beverages will probably be bourbon. He makes Milam and Greene. This sounds like a perfect meal.

16 Likes

You had me at Chicken-fried steak.

Happy birthday to Mrs Vecchiouomo!

3 Likes

:birthday: :tada: :partying_face:

OK … as a grandchild of the South, I’m going to admit to the assembled masses that I’ve never had chicken fried steak. Or even refused it.

Meal sounds great!!

2 Likes

Same here…
I really enjoy chicken fried steak!!

2 Likes

Yum. Tonight? HBD to the wife!

1 Like

Your wife’s idea of a birthday meal is perfect!

1 Like

Not to get into family dynamics, but your wife sounds down home and not high maintenance. My kind of woman. Including over cooked green beans with bacon. Now, as long as your SIL knows how to fry a great CFS… That’s key. Cream gravy with the drippings is easy.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

As a sometimes lapsed vegetarian/pescatarian, this dish has always intrigued me.

Will we see photos of the birthday meal? In any case, HBD to the partner of one of my favorite Onions!

2 Likes

Way to go! Happy Birthday!

1 Like

Tomorrow night! As Carly Simon sang, “Anticipation.”

1 Like

I am notoriously bad at eating the props too soon!

2 Likes

He is a very good cook. Seriously good.

I love Texas women who are straightforward, sincere, caring, and all the things she is. Kind of a younger version of Molly Ivins.

5 Likes

It’s time to remedy that!

What a co-ink-e-dink. I made chicken fried steak with mashed potato’s and gravy for dinner tonight. Salad as a side as I am not a fan of broad beans. Not a birthday. Just a Wednesday night dinner.

Buon compleanno alla bella vecchia ragazza.

4 Likes

Mashed potatoes BELONG with this dish!!

2 Likes

It’s the sort of thing foody foreigners like me will always look out for. But I’ve also never had it. I have, however, had chicken fried chicken. Having heard of the steak dish, I was just intrigued by the name of the chicken one, so ordered it not really knowing what I’d be getting. It was a decent enough dinner.

2 Likes

I’m assuming it’s like schnitzel.

2 Likes

Where did you have it?

Probably best renditions are in Deep South. New Orleans, Savannah, Charleston.

Uses a piece of tenderized steak, right?

2 Likes

Yes, it is tenderized steak, breaded and pan fried. It is a little like schnitzel. One of the best ones I ever had was at Ousie’s Table in Houston, a round steak pounded with the spine of a chef’s knife. It hung off both sides of the plate. The most over the top one I ever had was at the Austin Four Seasons. It was a breaded and pan fried ribeye. One of my favorite Texas pastimes is sampling different Texas foods. Barbecue, especially all over central Texas, is probably the most popular, but I also like trying CFS, cheese enchiladas, and cheeseburgers. Fortunately, most of the time I heat quite healthily and stay pretty fit for a 74 year old. The occasional splurge is fun. I rarely go out for higher end cooking. I do that at home.

5 Likes

my wife and I ordered a texas breakfast in houston consisting of eggs with all the fixins, pancakes and chicken fried steak, they had to pull over a second table for the cfs. def better than the version i’ve had in fl.

happy bdsy to your wife!

3 Likes