Wife's birthday dinner

Son in law ended up chicken frying NY strips. OMG. The taters were riced. The beans were cooked to death in a fry pam with EVOO. Whiskey was Milam and Greene Very Small Batch. Dessert was carrot cake from Susiecakes, best carrot cake ever. If you have a Susiecakes near you, try anything they make.

11 Likes

I’m glad you had a day off for your wife’s birthday dinner, but I can’t help to wonder if the meal would’ve been better had you cooked. Hopefully there was good wine. :wink:

2 Likes

Glad to hear it went well. One thing I was reluctant to mention before is that most places around here have what they consider good CFS. The only problem is there is very little steak and a lot of crispy batter. New York strip steaks sounds good. Think he did it right.

1 Like

That sounds very good! Swap that meringue for some whipped cream and I’d faint from pleasure.

1 Like

My son in law is an extremely good cook. He is also meticulous. If he cooks it, it will be terrific.

3 Likes

We had two desserts…on her actual birthday, Saturday, it was carrot cake. On Thursday with the CFS it was chocolate cream. Meringue was planned but a last minute change went for whipped cream.

2 Likes

Good call :smiley:

Or hashbrowns…

1 Like

How thick were the steaks cut? Any needling/Jaccard/cubing involved?

About three-quarters of an inch to an inch and no needling, pounding, or anything else of that sort since they were already pretty tender.

Hashed browns, creamed spinach, a thick rare steak, and a couple of martinis is a pretty spectacular meal, a frequent choice when we are in a steakhouse mood but don’t want to go out and spend a wad.

3 Likes

For me, CFS has to be tender enough to cut with the side of a fork.

New York strips and tenderloins were brought home in abundance from my dad’s packing plant, and were always cut about that thick. It was high-graded stuff, but never that tender. Run it twice through the cuber, you bet.

3 Likes

Now that’s a good son in law! Glad the birthday celebration was delicious.

2 Likes

I misinterpreted your report about the meal; as someone with no-to-little experience/knowledge about meat, I mis-interpreted this as being OMG bad–but using NY strips was actually a good thing–and served with overcooked beans (but that was by request of the birthday girl). I learn something new here nearly every day!

2 Likes

Overcooked beans are a decidedly southern thing. They are delicious, but so are bright green, crisp haricot vert cooked in the French manner. Simply stated, we love beans!

5 Likes

I had a tremendous chicken fried steak recently at a diner in Lincoln, NE. I’ve only had it a few times, and each time it has been thicker that your typical schnitzel.

There seems to be some confusion on the thread about broad beans. They are not like green beans/haricots vert.

Also popular in Greece, Turkey, and much of central Europe :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nope…must be very young to be prepared still in the pod.

1 Like

Middle East and India also (“lvercooked” for most things is just cultural habituation that turns into preference)

2 Likes

Broad beans is also a pretty broad (come on) category that encompasses several varieties anywhere they’re native.

2 Likes