Why the Wonder Bread with barbecue plates?

“She’d graduated valedictorian of her Queens public high school class…”

Looking it up!

1 Like

I’ve eaten the Rye and pumpernickel!

Yep. I eat a lot of bread, in a lot of different forms, but Arnold’s is my standard “white bread” for things like grilled cheese sandwiches and sometimes good old “normal” toast. For other sorts of “regular” sandwiches, I prefer some of Pepperidge Farm’s now-myriad “flavors” (Country White, White Whole Wheat, when I can find it), but the loaves/slices are a somewhat inconvenient shape for grilled cheese, and as toast, I find it a little, well, inconvenient in an admittedly very picky, Goldilocks sort of way… When I’m eating it with breakfast, like 2-3 scrambled eggs (and sometimes bacon), one slice isn’t quite enough, but two is a bit much. Two slices of “square” loaf toast on the other hand is Just Right…:wink:

To keep from going too far off-topic, I have to say, I’ve always thought Wonder Bread was just, well, basically gross. Even when I was a kid I couldn’t understand the attraction of a bread so “soft” that you squeeze a whole loaf of it down to the size of a half a brick without any effort, and that you basically couldn’t spread butter on without ripping it in at least three places. The texture is just so weird… and it’s so prone to forming a sort of gummy paste before you can chew it enough to swallow it, unless you swallow it almost whole… I have nothing against packaged “white bread” (I can even live with “generic” supermarket brand white bread if that’s what’s in front of me) but Wonder Bread per se is just well… something else entirely… It’s one of relatively few foods I will actually leave on a plate (or in the wrapping around takeout BBQ :grin:) because I just don’t see any point in eating it…

And I have to say, I would not actually turn down a grilled “cheese” sandwich made with Wonder Bread and Velveeta, but only out of politeness. But I would have to take a deep breath and repeat to myself the parental mantra of my childhood “it’s not the last meal you’re ever going to eat”… before I ate it…:smiley: I would happily eat, even request, a grilled cheese made with normal packaged white bread and American cheese (the sliced kind, not the individual-slices kind), but imnsho, the gulf between that and the Wonder Bread/Velveeta version is as deep as the Marianas Trench, if perhaps not as wide.:wink:

1 Like

Haven’t eaten much of Arnold’s in years, but long ago when I was super poor I lived near an Arnold’s day old bakery, and damn, it was a lifesaver. We all used to get the whole wheat, which I believe at that time was really a white bread mixed with whole wheat flour.

2 Likes

I do like their brand of dry stuffing cubes. The remainder store of my youth was very popular located across the street from an industrial park.

3 Likes

Words like “squishy” and “soft” remind me that we used to put margarine on squishy bread, then sprinkle it with sugar, roll it into a ball, and say “body of Christ!”, pop it into our mouths and then say “Amen!”. (Catholic problems).

3 Likes

The heart of a child is pure and guileless.

4 Likes

I am sorry , but you are all missing the point of Wonder Bread.
If you made a Ham & Cheese with or without the green, non nutritious lettuce, peanut butter and jelly or American cheese on two slabs of bread with mayo, or tuna on white with mayo… You are all forgetting that when you take a bite, it usually sticks to the roof of your mouth, whereby you might use your index finger to pry it down so you can chew the soft mess…
After all the question “Why Wonder Bread…” because it is Wonder Bread , not real bread!!!

5 Likes

This post brings back a flood of memories, PHREDDY. TY.

4 Likes

Builds strong bodies 12 ways.

4 Likes

Had our usual great Tri-tip sandwich at Buster’s today. No Wonder Bread, alas. The soft pillowy white roll grips the meat firmly. Buster’s Hot Sauce is not only HOT, the sauce has good chili pepper nuances.

We usually pick up a 12oz jar of xtra hot and find many foods at home to pair with the sauce besides Q.

Baked Beans front, generous side of sauce behind the sandwich.

Try-tip was perfect today. A little pink and a bit of fat. Buster’s, on hwy 29 at Calistoga in California Napa Valley.

7 Likes

Damn, that looks good! Do you have any clue what kind of wood they are using?

Yep, really damn good. I’m a city boy, I’m guessing Oak? Meat has good smoke, but not overpowering.

We savor a leisurely cruise through the valley vineyards to Buster’s at least every other month, except during the wine country tourist madness, which is pretty much half the year. No Napa Valley chic at this Q restaurant. Much of the clientele (when we visit during the week) are contractors and locals. After the devastating infernos these last few years, lots of F250’s with racks in the parking lot around lunch time. Many of the burnt out lots that were only charred foundation footings are now framed, sheeted and smelling of fresh new Doug Fir. Life goes on.

Very reasonable prices for real food. Beer and wines priced very reasonably as well. :wink:

2 Likes

Question for the gang. Is Tri-tip (Santa Maria) a common cut, or even known outside California?

I attended (*ahem) a bachelor party about 20+ years ago in Salinas, a farming town on the Central Coast of California. The meat for the BBQ was Tri-tip, lots of it. I was totally immersed into restaurant and food culture at the time, as I and most of my immediate friends were involved in F&B in one aspect or another.

These “country boys” not only showed me an unbeknownst cut of meat, they proceeded to tell me that one CANNOT OVERCOOK said cut?!?! Huh?!?! Well, we proceeded to party, and when the meat came out, it was cooked “well”, but as advertised, delicious and not dried out at all. Since my introduction that night, the Santa Maria Tri Tip seems to have been gaining popularity, and I see the cut in our local SF Safeway and Costco now.

Wondering if folks in other regions know and use this cut, and if it is even easily available? Thanks.

3 Likes

Tri-tip is strong here in SE Michigan.

2 Likes

It has made it up the West Coast, but the red oak from Santa Maria has not.

4 Likes

The whole purpose of the white bread is nothing more than a vehicle to transfer the bbq to mouth for eating.
. I could never imagine dipping a piece of whole wheat, corn bread , sourdough, rye , on and on , with the smoked meat and bbq sauce . The white bread is completely neutral.

6 Likes

In NJ tri tip is not popular at all. In fact, I’ve never seen it in NJ BBQ joints. We have brisket and ribs when it comes to beef. It could be here but I haven’t seen it. We don’t see clod around nj as well.

Good to see some Arnold bread fans. I think their white bread has the best taste and density/texture for readily available bread around here. It almost has a tiny bit of sweetness to it…that could be me though. I like their product.

3 Likes

Yes Tri-tip here in NYC, readily available in markets and butchers

1 Like

Those prices seem quite fair. It is on point with one of my local q joints that I feel is a decent value.

https://localsmokebbq.com/restaurant-menu

The half rack is going to be a little more money but you get a full half rack opposed to 4 ribs. So dollar for dollar it’s on the same page. This place uses sugar maple and barkless cherry wood.

This thread is making me hungry! Lets get some pics going :slight_smile:

Half rack with some nice fries and chili from local smoke

4 Likes