Why the Wonder Bread with barbecue plates?

Subject says it all. I never really find much to do with that bread-slice that makes me really glad I did it…

3 Likes

I’m not sure why but it seems to be traditional in South Carolina and Alabama. Often an entire loaf in it’s original package is on the table in the BBQ restaurants.

I always figured they were to be used as an edible napkin.

11 Likes

:rofl:

Have you ever eaten bbq on whole grain bread?
An abomination against nature and the natural order of things.
The purpose is to provide a vehicle for the errant bits of sauce and bbq.
And pickles.

7 Likes

Answers so far make sense–bits-and-sauce sponge. I’d think a brioche or kaiser role would hold up better. I can see how a crusty artisanal loaf would be too much of an otherwise good thing. But if you’re ready to get in there with your fingers dirty, no prob with Wonder Bread.

Your Q got me curious and since my husband didn’t know I went online. Think this guy might have It right:

“Just easier to open that bag and throw a piece on your plate.” :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/ode-to-white-bread/amp/
There was a time in this country when you could eat a wonderfully flavorless slice of this substance and not feel like a villain. But that time is long ago, back in the days before iceberg lettuce, white bread’s vegetable companion in blahness, was driven underground. And though iceberg lettuce is now mysteriously in vogue in fancy steakhouses, served with blue cheese dressing for $10 per chunk, no such revival seems remotely possible for white bread.

Thanks to its natural bounty of preservatives, white bread has remained imperishable, even while perishing from the kitchens and restaurant tables of our grim, gourmandizing republic. Only at barbecue joints does it still retain a vestige of its once undisputed carb primacy.

The guy behind the counter has just loaded up your butcher paper with brisket and ribs and oozing sausage when he asks, “Bread with that?”

You nod. It is perfectly acceptable. You’re already eating something called a hot gut; what more can the food police charge you with? The guy casually grabs eight or ten or twelve slices of Mrs Baird’s. Maybe even the whole loaf. He doesn’t care.“…
Continued

8 Likes

It works well . A piece of sourdough would just get in the way of the meat .

4 Likes

Yes, when I bring it home, where I can discard that abhorrent slice of junk food and use a good multigrain or whole wheat bread. The absence of choice is why I don’t eat BBQ in restaurants.

Somehow i always figured it was to make sandwiches to help stretch the meat to feed more mouths.
(No pony in this race myself)

3 Likes

You can wipe down the table with it when you’re done eating. Works good.

Also, I’d never turn down a grilled Velveeta sandwich on Wonder Bread, and anyone who says they would is a liar.

5 Likes

You just won the internet for the day! :heart_eyes:

We were just somewhere that mentioned “Gub’mint cheese”!

The Tyranny and the Comfort of Government Cheese

My late MIL and her sister who lived on $350 a month social security (yes we helped her out when she let us) were picked up once a month by another sister who was dripping with diamonds and drove a new Cadillac. Off they went to pick up government cheese, butter, rice peanut butter and every once in awhile a bonus of a jar of honey. Did I begrudge them that …no…

And I don’t recall the cheese being day glo orange.
She did share and it wasn’t that bad…really😊

Made great grilled cheese!

2 Likes

Maybe I’ll give Velveeta grilled cheese sandwich a try–most likely if I can find a small package. I remember once–long story–I decided I’d make a so-called “hot dish” for a potluck party. “Hot dish” is a term used in North Dakota where I’d lived for some time (military brat moved a lot) and also Minnesota. No longer in North Dakota at the time, I called my old girlfriend from there to ask how to make hot dish (it’s a concoction of ground beef, macaroni, onion, tomato, and–she told me–Velveeta–made in oven or stovetop, as desired).

The funny part for me is that I went to the supermarket and for the life of me could not find Velveeta, which I’d never bought. I ended up using Colby. Later I found out that Velveeta is a shelf-stable item located over near the motor oil.

4 Likes

No tater tots in your hot dish?

2 Likes

And this conveniently shows up…
Appears the idea advanced in the TM article that white bread will never have another moment in the sun isn’t true.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

White bread > wholegrain. All day, everday, forever :slight_smile:

4 Likes