Why the Wonder Bread with barbecue plates?

Nope. My girlfriend’s family did a stovetop version, not the Minnesota casserole with Tater Tots.

I recall, when she told me we were having “hot dish” when I went to meet her family for the first time, I thought, “Hot Dish,” what the hell kind of name is that for a dinner!?

2 Likes

Love this

My college roommate was from Minneapolis, so I’m well familiar with hot dish (although to her, it just means any old casserole). As for Velveeta, I get a craving for it once a year or so, and the smallest size is always plenty.

1 Like

YES grilled cheese velveeta on wonder bread…YUM !!

2 Likes

Well, BadaBing, looks like you are ahead of the curve with your cucumber sandwich project.

3 Likes

Cheap wonderbread like products are fantastic in their own right. I realized some time last year that I hadn’t had cheap white bread in a while, so I went out and bought some. Along with a variety of ham. I ended up eating a ham sandwich on white bread every day for roughly 3 weeks straight.

I don’t care what anyone says, that classic cheap bread ham sandwich is one of the greatest food creations of all time. Iceburg lettuce for a little snap, plenty of mayo, and some pickles are all I need for sandwich nirvana. (Ok, maybe a slice of cheese if I’m feeling fancy) Everyone seems to be turning their nose up at iceberg lettuce and cheap white bread these days, but to me it’s pure squishy comfort.

It’s great with BBQ for the same reason.

8 Likes

Not sure if Pepperidge Farm sandwich bread counts, or deli sliced ham, but those two, with Gulden’s mustard, and deli sliced Swiss Cheese were my lunch for my entire childhood…except for a brief foray into my schools version of Sabretts burgers, hot dogs, and grilled cheese under heat lamps :thinking: … TBH, there was another for neighborhood french fries with ketchup, and questionable bus passes.

3 Likes

If I put cheese on it, one side has to be slalthered with regular yellow mustard.
Just my personal preference, but should be a law.
:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

I’ve always been a diehard iceburg fan, nothing else as crunchy and refreshing (and i eat plenty of other veg so who cares it’s not especially nutritionally dense)

7 Likes

Because there’s nothing better than a nice slice of moist brisket wrapped in a slice of bread, (sauce optional). Hereabouts it’s called a “foldover”. Likewise with a length of sausage, a slice of turkey, et al.

(You are however, warned against trying it with a pork rib.)

3 Likes

Oh look at this fat cat over here with their premium Pepperidge Farm bread and deli swiss cheese! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yeah yeah, but “iceburg” is so much more accurate! It’s cold and refreshing!

1 Like

I had a pedantic moment. Better now.

3 Likes

I mean who the hell is eating lettuce for nutrition anyway? You ain’t surviving on lettuce people.

(I also commented that iceburg isn’t a word… and then realized I made the same spelling mistake above! D’oh!)

2 Likes

What’s the story with Pepperidge farm bread? I remember it having a denser, finer crumb. I guess it was also more expensive? I know my mother traveled FAR out of the 'hood to find a deli.

2 Likes

Not sure what you mean but it’s just premium white bread. It’s a little bit denser than the cheap stuff but otherwise it’s a tasty “top shelf” supermarket bread IMO.

1 Like

I was wondering what made it premium. Better flour, longer rise, or what?

Here is what the website says

"Then one day Margaret decided to try baking him some all-natural stone ground whole wheat bread with vitamins and nutrients intact. At a time when puffy, aerated white bread dominated the market, many skeptics—including her son’s doctor—didn’t think it was possible to bake nutritious bread that was also delicious. Margaret proved them wrong…"

Not sure which bread the author is referring to.

Any fans of Arnolds white bread?

2 Likes

Interesting bio of Margaret Rudkin:

3 Likes