Why 'Mexican Week' is a sign of bigger problems for ‘Great British Baking Show'

Yeero in DC. I still remember being corrected in the eighties.

1 Like

I still remember the Seinfeld episode where Elaine insists on pronouncing it “JYE-roh” the entire time…

2 Likes

Lol. I need to look that up!

Season 5, ep. 10 - “Cigar Store Indian”

3 Likes

Ahh! I was wondering if that was that one, which I think of as " the one with the ‘TV guide’" and Al Roker ( who went to my elementary school, as did his sister’s.:grin:).

I think the pronunciation was equally from Kramer and Jerry. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

3 Likes

Take in the NY Times. I kind of agree about this tale of a downward trajectory. I only watch it for the baking and the contestants.

2 Likes

[

Thread drift or not (and I’d argue it is relevant in the context of a discussion about featuring another culture in a clueless and tone deaf way), you took it there first by defending the mispronunciation and likening it to tomato / tomahto. It seems more like you just don’t like that some of us challenged that assertion, rather than that you’re offended that the conversation went in that direction.

1 Like

Paul Hollywood was ALWAYS insufferable, and that’s before I knew who he was. GBBS was my intro to him. Mary Barry and the original hosts, Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc, were always delightful, and I really enjoyed the historic informational segments they had in the first couple of seasons.

Sandy Toksvig worked well enough w/ Noel that it almost made up for missing Mary, Sue, and Mel, but Prue Lieth just reminds me of my friend’s uptight snobby grandmother. And I despise her little “It’s GOT to be worth the calories!” notion she keeps coming back to. I never cared for Little Britain, and while I find Matt Lucas more tolerable here than on that show, that’s a very low bar to clear.

I, too, am just here to see more or less real people who have achieved a relatively high standard of home baking. Thankfully, it hasn’t crashed so far as to descend into an American-style “I’m not here to make friends!” competition.

Also thankfully, the focus has (largely) stayed on the baking, with only the barest necessary ‘personal/sob story background’ that is endemic to any reality program.

1 Like

Their rapport was just unbeatable!

2 Likes

Mary, Sue, and Mel are the British Supremes.

1 Like

This sort of attitude is amazing to me. First in America we insist we speak English. I am an American but I work for an English firm. So many of my colleagues are English. I am on the phone with people in the UK all the time. One thing is clear to me is that Americans don’t speak English. Frankly most Americans have a hard time understanding the English. There are shows that I watch nowadays that provide subtitles for Americans so that they can understand what the English are saying. Welcome to Wrexham (which by the way is great) being a prime example. So getting one’s knickers in a bunch over how to pronounce tacos in proper Spanish is sort of silly to me. If you learned Spanish in the American school system and then go to Spain instead of South America, see how your pronunciation holds up there. And talking about place names, there are often posters in Spanish that I see in places like the subway that refer to where I live as Nuevo York. Sorry the name is New York. At least we don’t call a certain large city in Brazil the January River. Though I do love calling certain tony town in south Florida rat’s mouth.

ETA: Is taco even a Spanish word? Isn’t taco a Mexican food item so technically not Spanish at all.

9 Likes

Thanks for posting. My daughters when home watch this show a lot but otherwise it’s never on, and I hadn’t heard about Mexico Week.

Mr. Hernandez at the LATimes was pretty good (and also a bit humorous) with his observations. I’m not sure what I expected of the LA Times, which I don’t read too often. I guess I was thinking their panel would pull from someone ready to preach fire and brimstone. Instead he was just even-handed and factual, very clear.

1 Like

Spot on. In the Army I used to sit at mess with a Puerto Rican, and Mexican, and a Brit who was on loan to the US, who’d learnt Spanish in Spain.

Most meals devolved into arguments about who “spoke real Spanish” with each insisting the other two had bastardized versions.

My daughters learned Spanish in the American school system as you mention, and are fine with Mexican immigrants, but when they went on house building trips to Guatemala found it pretty difficult to converse without a lot of repetition and explaining back and forth.

4 Likes

Is there an “American School System”? Where I live in California, my “system” can be different from my neighbors, very different from my neighbors growing up in NYC, in the 70’s-80’s.

My daughter is there now, blocks from where my husband went to high school, and it seems different.

Spent today looking forward to those advocating colllaborating where she grew up in Nor Cal.

1 Like

Probably not, strictly speaking.

I watched it, and it was indeed offensive.

Refried beans on a taco? Who does that?

3 Likes

Vegetarians.

5 Likes

Maybe, but even then, there are so many better options with roasted vegetables (and some fruits), especially those that can give a meaty quality to it. It was a weird choice and certainly not one that reflected any knowledge of Mexican cuisine at all.

That said, when it comes to traditional, they also went off piste with the Garibaldi biscuits and that weird chocolate with feathering add on. WTF?

2 Likes

Not to drag this off on a tangent but what in the world do North Carolinians call their cold drink choice if it is “other”?
And for my brothers in Ryegate, Montana, what is your deal? Why are you the only town in the state to be walking this path? And just what DO you call your cold non-alcoholic beverage of choice?
Sorry, but maps with data set me off when the data has no explanation for variations…

1 Like