Why 'Mexican Week' is a sign of bigger problems for ‘Great British Baking Show'

I knew it was regional, but it occurred to me: someone’s asked this before. Yes, yes they have:

I think this might be more or less equivalent to the US variation in what to call a sweetened, carbonated non-alcoholic beverage such as Coke, Pepsi, 7up, etc.

1 Like

:roll_eyes: please

I have to disagree with the equivalence. There’s a correct pronunciation for the word in the native Spanish, and it’s “tah-co.” Just because someone outside the culture can’t be bothered to learn the correct pronunciation doesn’t make whatever else they choose say an equally correct alternative. Surely we wouldn’t make the same case, for example, mispronouncing jalapeño as “jalla-peeno”.

4 Likes

Not sure how the episode was demeaning.

I don’t watch GBBS, but did wonder, during my recent visit to the UK, “why are they trying to make “Mexican” food?”. I guess it is " globally hot right now".For me, the best stuff seemed to be from former colonies.

I’ve seen that interesting map before. Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

No, but I suspect there won’t be many of us here who call the capital of France “Paree”.

1 Like

Well, that’s kind of sad and embarrassing.

4 Likes

I’m not sure it’s the same. Many “foreign” cities have different standardized names in English, which are pronounced that way by their native language speakers when speaking English. Köln/Cologne and München/Munich come to mind. And arguably Paris (I’d have to find videos of Macron or someone speaking English, but that’s been my experience with French speakers at least). But a Spanish person speaking English is not, under usual circumstances, going to pronounce that food item as “tack-o.” The “a” in the word is pronounced “ah” in Spanish.

2 Likes

I appreciate that’s your view.

I have also learned from this thread that Britons pronounce a word differently from Americans and Spanish speakers. We also pronounce the word “herb” differently from French speakers and Americans. And, no doubt, many other similar errors on our part.

1 Like

Accents and dialects are always tricky. Make zero effort “jal uh peen yo” and you sound ignorant. But if you’re not a fluent Spanish speaker then hitting glottal on the “jal” and emphasizing the pronunciation makes you sound like a pretentious ass.

And context matters. In the middle of an otherwise ‘unaccented’ English sentence overtly accenting foreign word sounds odd.

I find ‘tack o’ more acceptable from UK speaker than ‘jalapeño’ pronounced with a ‘j’ from any English speaker.

Why this is the case, I have no idea.

1 Like

So many errors. “Chorizo” and “paella” as pronounced by Britons get me every time.

(I’m not sure why everyone is going mad over the “taco” pronunciation given that it’s in line with how many here pronounce “pasta”-- same (flat?) a sound. )

I also admit, I’m not clear on the “paree” comment since place names are very different to loan words. And pronouncing jalapeño like “dza-la-pen-oh” (how it was done by many shops when I arrived here) is not the same as saying “Paris” in with English rather than French pronunciation.

Me too. Not least as tacos will have been eaten by only a tiny percentage of Britons. Frankly it’s simply not a relevent issue. We pronouce it differently - get over it, folks. I think I’m probably done with this thread - fine when we were talking about a TV food programme but I’m uncomfortable with what I perceive are the underlying issues related to the thread drift.

6 Likes

To bring it to food, what challenges do you think would work?

As I may have mentioned above (too lazy to check), I think starting with “pan dulce” as signature was lazy as. There are so many different types, that they’d have been better off asking for a cake with at least three types of pan dulce as the showstopper.

A specific pan dulce (like polverones? Sopapillas?) Something more complicated?) for the technical.

The Tres Leches could be a signature. Or to ask for one of the empanada de frutas with a spin?

I’d love to hear your thoughts. It’s just such a shame that they so limited what they could do (and what we could learn-- remember back when Mel and Sue would do these interstitials in which we’d be educated about a baking tradition? Ahhhhh).

2 Likes

Christina I both agree with you, and think that the fact that more Americans than Brits pronounce taco correctly has more to do with our pronunciation rules and less to do with cultural sensitivity. Just think of how Americans tend to massacre saying “gyro.”

1 Like

If you had posted this last week, I’d have been able to say that I had never seen the word in use in the UK. But, a few days ago, we noticed a takeaway kebab place was advertising them. In this part of the world, they would usually be a pitta or a doner/shish kebab.

And I have absolutely no idea how it’s pronounced, in the UK, US or Greece.

I believe the correct pronounciation is “yeero” but we have a lot of “jie-ro” in the US.

2 Likes

“In the middle of an otherwise ‘unaccented’ English sentence overtly accenting foreign word sounds odd.”

Like Giada and Mascarpone.

1 Like

at least she actually grew up fluent in Italian, so for her, it’s just ‘correct’ pronunciation. But unless you know that, yeah.

1 Like