Why 'Mexican Week' is a sign of bigger problems for ‘Great British Baking Show'

I would MUCH rather have refried beans than roasted vegetables. Especially on a taco.

4 Likes

Well then you should eat that, no?

I was responding to your comment about how there are SO many better options.

We’re talking about a technical challenge for a particular programme and what would fit, not what a person would eat. (Not that the show decided on a vegetarian option anyway.)
This is the danger of some going so far off topic-- the actual topic of the thread is lost (GBBO and Mexican Week).

Hardly anything technical about a taco unless, perhaps, you are a Mexican chef. Granted, it was a strange theme as I wouldn’t expect Brits to be very versed in Mexican cuisine and a taco doesn’t really fall under the baking category.

1 Like

I’m surprised and sad no one brought up this latest act of nonsense from GBBO

1 Like

Looks like fake S’mores.

But I don’t get the cultural appropriation and violence claims. Is this in jest, or is it a comment on how poorly they reflect real S’mores?
(#HaveNotHadCaffeineYetToday)

3 Likes

What’s so violent about a British interpretation of a s’more?

2 Likes
4 Likes

“the self-proclaimed King of Bread wrote a cookbook and said that Challah was the bread Jews traditionally est on Passover”

:woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

Haha. What’s worse - mixing up weekly Shabbat with Passover (not to mention that little problem of leavening) or the spelling he used? (I found the photo in someone’s 2014 commentary on his bread baking cookbook)

3 Likes

This is a guy who thinks he makes better bagels than a NYC deli and pronounces ‘genoise’ as ‘JEN-oh-EEZ’.

As I’m not a UK-ian, I have no context for Paul Hollywood outside GBBO. Mostly, he seems like about a zillion other celeb chefs that have long since stopped being actual chefs and are now full time food-adjacent celebs. I would trade him, Matt, AND Prue for the return of any one of Mel, Sue, Mary or Sandy. Noel can stay.

Also, s’mores with waffles? WTF?

4 Likes

I’m okay with mispronouncing guacamole when it’s preceded by Holy.

1 Like

Not waffles, digestive biscuits. I mean, still not right, but maybe not as wrong?

1 Like

I would sub digestive biscuits for Graham crackers in s’mores or a Graham cracker crust, or even Nanaimo bars, but HobNobs would taste better in s’mores than Digestives or Graham crackers.

Once you’ve made Matzoh crack, saltine crack or Christmas crack, it’s clear any crackers or cookies can be swapped to make a delicious treat if you’re adding butter, sugar, marshmallows, chocolate, etc.

2 Likes

I suppose digestives are the rough UK equivalent of Graham crackers, but… why not just MAKE GRAHAM CRACKERS?! It’s a @(*%$ BAKING show! Technicals are SUPPOSED to be a test of how they approach something that might be unfamiliar.

1 Like

I hated jumping chollas more than any other plant in Arizona.
Give me saguaros all day.
I can avoid them :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

My mind went there too. Kids, remember: if you eat cholla, remove the needles first.

3 Likes

Last year while doing some retro baking (magic bars), I used digestives instead of graham crackers and loved the difference. The nuttiness won me over.

You must have read my mind about Christmas crack. I’ll be experimenting with substitutes this holiday season to find an appropriate lower-carb option than saltines or matzoh. Of course, the copious amounts of sugar will negate any reduction in carbs, but it will be fun for me nonetheless.

3 Likes

I’m wondering if you could use some low carb tortilla substitutes. I think some are made from coconut?

1 Like