Who wants to talk about Asian dumplings?

BLASPHEMY!

Just kidding - you should do what you need to do to get your dumpling fix.

With Chinese New Year fast approaching, is anybody making dumplings at home? When I was young, our family would make them on New Year’s eve after dinner while waiting for the clock to strike 12, and then eat the finished products for lunch/breakfast. I don’t do this anymore, but will be making some from scratch. Thinking about experimenting with lamb filing and serving it with a cumin chili sauce, and also a fennel and pork version that I grew up eating.

2 Likes

Ohhhhhh YUM!

Some interesting folding techniques and cool colored dough designs!

3 Likes

Pretty cool!

Seriouseats- Seriously Asian: All About Dumplings Recipe

Oops! Already upthread.

For later.

I think I found Cheung Fun! But those characters aren’t Chinese.

Apparently they are Vietnamese or maybe Korean

1 Like

Korean writing. Vietnamese language uses alphabet.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I went to the company website, and it is apparently Vietnamese, but they make what they call “Korean style rice paper”.

Can you show how it’s like when the package is opened? I know Vietnamese has a dried paper like sheets. Koran’s rice wrapper are moist and fresh.

About the characters, I remember when I was young, Chinese like to put Japanese characters on the packaging as that was more trendy and hot. Now Vietnamese is doing the same with Korean. LOL!

3 Likes

Will do! This is how the website describes the other rice paper.

Thin Rice Paper 超薄粉皮 Bánh Ướt Mỏng

Do you know what kind of characters those are?

Where is ccj?

1 Like

I was hoping @ccj might pop in. It was ccj who posted that I might be able to find the rice noodle for rolls (Cheung Fun, 腸粉) but I couldn’t find that post.

:sweat_smile:
Ultra thin pink leather

Google translate

1 Like

LOL. What language?

Chinese, I think.

I think it’s “cheung fun”, aka steamed rice sheets. In that case you don’t make dumplings with them. You fill each sheet with minced pork and mushrooms or prawns and steam.

1 Like

Thanks! It’s the noodle rolls I get in dim sum that I had in mind. These are described as "Korean style " for eating with BBQ, (this link is 10 years old)

but I am hoping to give it a try in noodle rolls.

= Ultra thin flour sheets (in Chinese) If it’s Chinese, should be Cheung fun. But I ate some Vietnamese rolls, that is wrapped with very thin crisp, much thinner than Cheung fun, and very good.

Don’t know about Korean. @digga can tell you

1 Like

Re Dduk bossam, so it’s how some Koreans in LA like to eat Bossam with the steamed rice sheets according to the article. Interesting.

I ate Bossam a couple of times in Korea. Didn’t see the rice sheets. Lots of perilla leaves are used as wrappers.

1 Like

This article mentions a flour mix.

" If you do not want to buy all the different flours just for this recipe, try one of the flour mixes. Many Asian supermarkets sell cheung fun flour mixes (see above right), which may be a more convenient option. All you need to do is add water and a little oil, and you’ll have a batter ready to go. If you buy a Vietnamese brand, they will be labeled “ bánh cuốn.