Who uses disposable latex gloves for the kitchen?

Never. I do everything possible to avoid adding additional plastics to the waste stream.

I have very short nails anyway due to my gardening habit and have no issues with raw meat. Actually, for me food prep/cooking is a very tactile experience so I like to handle my food. I am immune to even the hottest of peppers because of (over) exposure.

2 Likes

Hi Claus,

I played the “mother” role with my infant son in his first year: no gloves.

First time.

I am trying to wear a protective glove when I use my diamond sharpening stones.

Latex gloves are made from rubber, not plastic. It’s a renewable resource.

But how long do they take to degrade in a landfill?

1 Like

From what I’ve read, about five years.

On the other hand, nitrile gloves are made of synthetic rubber, aka plastic, which doesn’t ever fully degrade and instead slowly breaks down into microplastics. Not to mention they’re made from a non-renewable resource.

3 Likes

Generally, never. The only times is when I’m occasionally asked to work on something that I know my skin is sensitive to (like taro) or if I have a cut on my hand and stinging for me and also contaminating food I would have to touch.

1 Like

Only when cutting/handling chilis. Or putting out Juicy Fruit for the chipmunks :wink:

1 Like

I will also wear a glove if I have a burn, cut, or rash on my hands…not only is it less uncomfortable for me, with less chance of an infection…but I wouldn’t ask someone to eat something that had been in contact with my injured paw.

2 Likes

My husband and I both use them. I don’t like touching things like raw meat with my bare hands. It’s just a mental thing on my part, I guess.

2 Likes

I almost never do. Occasionally for very hot peppers, much hotter than jalapenos. I try to keep my solid waste footprint to a minimum, so I use as little disposable goods as possible. I store leftovers in reusable containers rather than wrapping in plastic or foil, where possible, and never line trays with foil for the sake of convenient cleanup.
Anecdotally, I find people assume restaurant kitchen workers are gloved. In my actual experience few if any actually wear gloves in the kitchens. Plenty of bare handed food handling goes on.

2 Likes

I think comparing a surgeon wearing gloves to a home cook wearing gloves is a stretch. Surgeons wear gloves to reduce the possibility of infecting the patient, not the other way around.

No. I greatly dislike the feeling of gloves. The only time I would consider gloving up would be for work that would stain my hands.

In the surgical suite it is as much to protect the docs/nurses as it is the patient.

In other circumstance (e.g., getting blood drawn by a phlebotomist) it can be entirely about protecting the worker rather than the patient.

That’s for sure - see it in restaurants quite often. I like gloves for hot peppers because the oil can get under a fingernail where I can’t wash it out easily (even with Dawn) and I’ve gotten the stuff on my monthly contacts and had to prematurely discard them. It seems capsaicin (like a lot of lipid-like substances) sticks to silicone hydrogels really tenaciously.

Oh, I forgot - beets, if I remember in time.

2 Likes

Rubbish.

It goes both ways.

My cousin is a surgeon. They use gloves to protect the patient AND themselves during an operation.

Well, thanks for responding with your usual arrogant tone. Whatever the case, the larger point remains, if you wear gloves because you’re afraid of pathogens in the food, or you think you’re infecting your dinner, it’s a personal problem. Wash your hands, easy as pie.

Last Sunday I was reminded of this thread when I was blending a pound of chillies in a Magimix blender. I had to cut up the raw chillies by hand, before putting them in the blender.

Of course I don’t use gloves, as mentioned upthread. My hands weren’t the problem though - however, inhaling the pungent smell of raw chillies (scotch bonnet) did cause issues.

Face mask next time?! :slight_smile:

1 Like

When my wife cuts up chillis in the Mini-chopper she wears gloves AND face mask - and I’m not kidding.

The strong chilli scent is everywhere in our condo when she makes HOT chilli paste.

1 Like

Yeah. My worst ever self-inflicted habanero injury was while blending. I decided it’d be a good idea to poke down the stuff stuck on the sides by inserted the handle of a wooden spoon down the little center-port area of the lid.

I poked a bit too deeply, hit the blades, the whole thing bucked and sent a splash of the pepper juice through the little port and up into my face and eyes.

I was done cooking for the night - told my wife please order pizza for you and the kids.

We were eating in a Mexican restaurant when some clown asked for habaneros in his steak fajitas. They bring these out on a smoking hot iron skillet supported on a wooden tray.

Vaporized habanero is no joke - the entire restaurant had to clear out for 20 minutes or so - guests and staff alike.

1 Like