Who uses disposable latex gloves for the kitchen?

My husband picked up several boxes at a trade show, so I’ve got plenty, but still use them sparingly. I know they are expensive now.

Chicken fried steak or pork chops - Always
Deep fried stuffed battered jalapeños- Always
Cutting up hot peppers - Always - Afraid I might rub my eyes later on.

My main reasoning behind this is I don’t like the idea of cleaning out underneath my (not long) fingernails.

You?

2 Likes

I don’t because I try to minimize my consumption of single use plastic.

6 Likes

Not yet. I can imagine using these gloves with highly aggressive and irritation foods.

2 Likes

I use gloves - nitrile gloves (they are the best in my view) - whenever I handle raw meat, eggs and chillis.

2 Likes

Yes, I forgot to mention raw meat. Like forming hamburgers Thanks.

1 Like

I have been using them for years…years. I enjoy emphasizing snap it makes when putting them on.

2 Likes

No, no use for them in the kitchen. My nails don’t get dirty, cooking what I cook.

1 Like

No, they are not sanitary.

2 Likes

You’re probably right, but because of my OCD I never touch raw meat without wearing gloves - so I either use gloves and accept the risk or stop handling raw meat altogether (and this is not an option for me)

I should also stop using non stick pans, because they can potentially leak ‘forever chemicals’ into my body - but I love my non stick pans so much for certain specific delicate things, that I take the chance.

I should also stop drinking gin & tonic, since tonic contains far too much sugar and alcohol is actually poison for my body - but I’m weak and drink a couple of G&T’s daily.

But I don’t smoke and I try to eat as many vegetables as possible in my meals.

So there you go :grinning:

4 Likes

Habaneros or hotter are an “always” for me, but not milder peppers. I wear monthly sleep-in contact lenses and once pulled one out to saline scrub it shortly after having minced habaneros, and seriously regretted the experience. And had to toss that month’s contact lens as well.

Also, strong pepper juice (like habaneros or ghost peppers) under my nail edges causes pain every time I press down on the nail, for at least a day afterwards.

The only other use in cooking is if I’ve got a cut on a hand and I’m making meatloaf or gyro meat where I’m planning to mix by hand.

Outside of the cooking mentions above, my only other use is in clearing mouse traps.

A box of 100 gloves probably lasts me 3 years…

Edit - these are superthin vinyl gloves that I get at Walgreens, by the way. I haven’t used latex gloves in decades, since I was a lab tech. I think latex was on the way out even then, due to allergy concerns? I’m not sure. Maybe it was only natural rubber latex vs. synthetic stuff that caused allergies.

1 Like

Yep.

3 Likes

The article seems to indicate that it is not the gloves which are unsanitary, but rather the practices employed by the people wearing them that are unsanitary?

But that could be true of any inappropriately-used item.

Still, a very good article overall for sake of awareness.

8 Likes

I wish I’d known what would happen to my hands when an asshole chef where I was interning punished me for not having brought my own knife (! to an unpaid internship!!) by making me cut up chile peppers.

I didn’t notice until I got home that my hands were on fire. One of the more uncomfortable nights I’ve had. And then the asshole chef had the gall to make fun of me and my “super-sensitive” hands when I asked for gloves the next day. So I quit. Fugdatnoise.

As for at home, my sweets uses them more often than I do, mostly when he’s marinating lamb for kebabs so as to not reek of garlic & onion for days. I like the tactile experience of mixing up ground meats (and don’t have OCD), so I don’t use gloves. We have a sink and soap after all.

6 Likes

Same problem here. Any residue from cutting garlic, onion, or chiles sticks to my hands like crazy. None of the common removal methods is effective for me. Finally I decided to try slathering a lot of hand lotion all over my hands and under my nails, then wiping all the lotion off. Bingo. Coconut oil works for me similarly. I believe the fattiness of the lotion or coconut oil pulls the residue off my hands.

I do use disposable gloves when touching raw meat to avoid cross-contamination.

3 Likes

I use disposable vinyl gloves when handling raw meat or when dealing with chiles. I have had lingering irritation at times working with chiles that ought to be reasonably innocuous, like poblanos or jalapenos if I don’t wear gloves (despite hand washing). So, gloves it is!

2 Likes

Working with hot peppers, absolutely.

When working on things that will be eaten by others, yes (especially when I’m working sous on a catering job with my friend)

Anything that is egregiously messy like decorating cakes…commercial food coloring stains for days. Pitting cherries…working with beets…

3 Likes

Only for working with hot peppers and, if I have any open nicks or cracks in my fingers, for polishing the copper.

3 Likes

For hot peppers, beets and meatballs/meatloaf.

When I bread things, I use the wet hand/dry hand method to prevent fingers full of breading.

1 Like

Hot peppers, and if I’m using a cleaning compound that will bother my hands. And lots do. Back in the ‘70s, when the first prototype-foodies were being hatched, there was a time when you were urged to toss your salads by hand, both to be gentle with the greens and to literally feel the amount of dressing to make sure you didn’t use to much. For the squeamish, James Beard helpfully marketed wooden “salad hands.” What did we do? We scrubbed up and dove into the bowl! No gloves …

1 Like

I have a full box for my team to use on projects, but I don’t use them myself much.

1 Like