Who Uses Dishers, and for What?

I used a large one last night to serve up hemispherical mounds of white rice for a Thai red curry. And I’ll use a small disher as a melon baller. I’m less interested in specific portion sizes than I am in the plating aspects. I need a couple more sizes, but I’ve learned I favor the Hamilton Beach color coded ones.

So do you use them, and what for? Shape or portion control? Have a favorite size?

I only recently started using them, and almost exclusively to plate white rice.

The initial inspiration was a shrimp dish I wanted to recreate.

I have small (1 cup maybe?) white bowls from Wegmans that I most often use for my mise, and sadly only one smaller one of the same provenance (1/2 cup I assume).

It looks pretty on the plate, which is the main reason I use them when I do.

We’re the same in this.

But I wonder if there are retentive cooks out there who use dishers as a means of limiting carbs or calories. I know restaurants can get focused on the cost control aspects, and need to be consistent, but that’s not my thing.

Portioning cookie dough.

4 Likes

Not for plating but for prep. Meatballs, cupcake / muffin batter, fritters, cookie dough, stuffing balls, kababs / patties of various types, probably other things.

I have 3 sizes, though I think I end up favoring the middle one. If I want something a bit different in size than I have I’ll just use one from my cup measure set instead.

I rarely want shaped rice, but if I do, I use a bowl and invert it.

(I actually have serving ware that’s sized that someone gave me a long time ago – WW used to sell it – but have never actually used it. When I was learning to portion control carbs, I’d just use a cup measure till I could eyeball it, or cup measure into one of my bowls the first time and then I knew how big the bowls were so I never needed to measure again.)

I have two dishers, a 40 and a 60. I use them exclusively for cookies. The 60 is for the perfect snack-sized cookie, and I use the 40 to make cookies for homemade ice cream sandwiches. I don’t think I’ve ever used them for anything else.

Before I started using dishers, I always experienced mission creep in my cookies. Cookies on the first and second pan were usually a consistent size, but by the last pan, they’d be at least 50% larger.

1 Like

Are dishers like ice cream scoops? I have three or four sizes, but aside from cookies and meatballs, I can’t recall why. I think I have made candy with them.

ETA yup!

1 Like

Yeah, I just learned this word! It’s an ice cream scoop or a melon baller over here.

4 Likes

Well, how ya gonna be all professional-like even though you’re “just” cooking at home if you just go around calling it something as obvious as a scoop, huh? :joy::rofl:

3 Likes

:man_student:

I just realized they are an actual thing.

So, no, I don’t.

1 Like

Needs a French name for me to take it seriously. Unless it’s pronounced “dish-ay.”

4 Likes

Multiple sizes for prep. They speed up tasks immensely.

1 Like

Nope.

I just use a Chinese soup spoon.

Interesting that Matfer doesn’t even have a name. In fact, the only similar thing I could find in their catalog was called “ice cream scoop”.

1 Like

if you’re making - for example - a batch of cookies qty dozen+… - having a uniform dough qty per cookie is a serious advantage.

for salmon balls - deep fried - serious advantage
for salmon hand formed patties, not really. . .
for Ikea Swedish meat balls, an essential tool

bottom line - very useful depending on what you’re doing -
and bottom line (2) - one size does not fit all - multiple/various volume scoops needed

3 Likes

Large and small, mainly used for cookie dough. For rice, I lightly oil a small bowl to get that cute hemispherical mound.

But I don’t think I’ve heard the term “dishers”, although I suppose it makes sense. Similar to what small_h says, we just call them scoops or cookie scoops. (We have a different thingie for ice cream)

1 Like

Nope. I did thought about getting one for the cookie dough (that was when I was very much into making cookies)

That reminds me; I also use one for codfish cakes/fritters.

I’m all about portion control with them especially for cookies. Haven’t tried the Hamilton Beach color coded ones yet but they sound handy.