Whisks for tin-lined copper cookware

inquired about the long handled matcha whisk from china
only less than 50 tines
so, I will pass

have been considering it but want a japanese made one that is long handled with a stand , but it appears impossible top get
There are some from China, got answers yesterday
Only under 40 tines ( 37 or 38)
I do nto want to get burnt form a regular short handled one.
So, still searching

I just received a message from Koto Black, the owner of the shop that makes matcha bamboo whisk for thicker tea referred in the thread by Toronto ( see the thread re etsy 474032142 above which Toronto claims is more robust is for thicker tea with only 36 tines.
They can make one with the handle that is 6 cm (2.5 inches long) in the black or white bamboo
She sent me a picture of the one they had made for someone else but I do not know if i can download it to may photo file then upload it to you.
I do not know how much it will cost.
The regular one is $39.95 plus $5.11 shipping , the stand is I think $9.00
It will take a few weeks to make,
She has not discussed price.
My windsor is medium size 8.75 upper rim, 3.75 inches height. So, if the handled is 2.5 inches, it might work
I asked for the total length of the unit, tines and handle.
You interested?

No, go ahead and report back.

OK, your experience with a regular matcha whisk, you think a 6 cm long handle would suffice? There is just a picture sent for comparison between their regular handle and the 6 cm handle but did not give me the actual length of the regular handle. Hate to buy and still too short. Also hate to have my whisk falling off my sauce pan.

6 cm is shy of 2.5 inches, which is about what I’ve got and no, it’s short. But I experimented with an ordinary cotton glove and it worked like a charm. :grinning:

the answer is that the handle itself is shy of 2.4 inches but did not specifically tell me what is the height of the whole item. My windsor pot is 3.75 inches tall.
The price for the special order is 4950 yen, 1000 yen for the stand and 550 yen for the shipping. ’
Black bamboo or white is a choice. Black is more difficult to carve,slightly more expensive but white is stronger according to her.
The Ooaraho has 37 thick tines, the chuaraho is slightly thinner . She recommends the white chuaraho
I tend to prefer the black ooaraho( I think that the thicker tines would be better) , but not being familiar with that kind of tea as to consistency , I rely on your opinion
Your take as to the total length if I have a 3.75 inch tall saucepan?
I think perhaps if the handle is too long, it may be difficult or do you think I should ask for total length of 6-7 inches? Do you think that will be difficult to stir?
It will take one month to make
Thanks for your opinion

I Just ordered a long handled chosen 6" with the head of 2.5 ", total would be 8.5 ". from Japan , the site that was recommended by Toronto. See above per toronto ( easy.com/listinig 474032142 ) It cost 5450 yen, 1000 for shipping and the stand 550. ( about $65 based on yesterday’s exchange This would be custom made, takes 3-4 weeks to make. The shop lady is very nice, communicates very well. The black one according to her is a but more expensive, probably $2-3 dollars because black wood is more expensive, more difficult to carve but she says that the white one is stronger and would last me longer for practical rather than ceremonial purpose.

I hope that by being this much longer, I would not have to use gloves per Jamie as well as the 37 tines which makes it stronger, last longer as well.

She says that although the ones made in China are cheaper, ( based on EBAY and Amazon) the wood are not aged 3 years as theirs and she believes the Chinese uses a chemical on their wood which is not advisable.
YOUR THOUGHTS/ HOPE I DID NOT MAKE A MISTAKE.

@ Toronto 416, Kaleo, Jammie

Whisk ( chasen) and stand finally arrived today. Its from KOTO thru ETSY, recommended by Toronto.
Well packaged, took 2 months to custom make by TANIMURA-SAN, The wood I understand has been aged, as opposed to the Chinese ones which are cheaper.
Tanimura-San recommended the white bamboo which is slightly cheaper, easier to carve but has stronger tines.
Both the proprietor Koto and her Australian husband are chefs.
The chasen is 9" long including the 2.5" head. The chasen , stand and shipping came to 7000 Yen.
If interested, go to ETSY, Koto Organic Tea, or send her an email info @ kototea.com
Here are pictures and as you can see, it clears my windsor tin lined copper measures 8 3/4 diameter x 3 3/4 inches tall 16 5/8 long including the handle.
I guess I do not have to worry about using gloves and getting burnt.

1 Like

Hi ccj,
Congratulations and many thanks for sharing. What a wonderful whisk you now have for your tin-lined copper cookware!
A classic tool for the Japanese tea ceremony has been adapted for use in Western cooking. This cross cultural hybridization exists as well with Japanese knives inspired by classic French ones making their way into Western kitchens.
Enjoy, and do let us know how it performs!

it was worth the wait.
Koto Black is very accommodating, kept in touch while I was waiting .
She went out of her way to see the Tanimura -San
I am not cooking now as I have been beseech with health problem as well as this absolutely nasty weather.
Have not even used that windsor pot yet.
Since it is summer, probably will attempt making lemon curd with it and maybe coconut jam for breakfast rather than bernaise or hollandaise sauce for first attempt.

Wow. After seeing it, I’m interested! Thanks.

great!

Here is a follow up of my chasen which I received in august but had not used it till today.
It works like a charm, however, I think the stand is not meant for such a long handled chasen as I feel it is a little wobbly especially in my rotating kitchen triever.
The handle is 6 inch long, the whole thing is 9 inches.
I have a small flower vase purchased from Venice a long long time ago that works well. !IMG_0436IMG_0437IMG_0438IMG_0439

do not know how to send pictures of chasen to y ou.
just post it.
Pls read if interested

The light blue chasen holder is upside down - the wide end is the base, and the narrow end tapers outwards to accommodate the chasen when placed over it and then tapers again where the ends of the whisk taper inwards again. You will find it a lot more stable if you place it correctly, and your chasen will dry back to the correct shape if placed correctly over it.
The vase will disfigure your chasen!

I have to agree with you. The holder is upside down. It should be like this: image

Good luck.

Thanks
Now I understand how it works
It works great, I do not have to use gloves to protect my hands
I hope it will last longer t han the Chinese made ones.

Thanks for the picture.

Here is matcha whisk holder with a chasen from the same workshop as yours with the wider tines. Even after many months it still looks unused - the trick is to let it dry and reshape on the holder.