Which cookware is best Stainless Steel frypan or Non-Stick frypan?

All clad SS really is the way to go in my opinion. When i first moved out I got a nonstick pan from a coworker and it worked for years. When I had the money saved to buy my allclad set I was thrilled and have never looked back. Its not challenging to cook or learn to cook on SS and the longevity of the product I feel is the selling point. People are right to bring up forever chemicals and other hazards that going into the production of nonstick. Nonstick is also a blanket term that applies to a litany of chemicals and compounds that coat the product. SS is an industry standard term and to qualify something as SS means it has some sort of standards(or so we hope).

1 Like

My conscience is pretty clean to be quite honest.

I’m replacing my non stick pans with Demeyere Ceraforce ceramic non stick pans, next time a non stick pan in my collection needs to be replaced.

Demeyere Ceraforce Ceramic non stick pans are free from any PTFE and PFOA forever chemicals, so to me that’s the solution as replacement for my non stick pans.

I’ll take a zip of my G&T now.
Just bought a new gin called Arctic Blue Navy Gin, what a fantastic gin for a straight up G&T especially great with the Yuzu based Fentiman tonic.

By the way I salute you and say cheers to all you sacred people with perfect moral and perfect conscience. Without you the world would be a less nice place to live in.

Btw you have all sold your gasoline and diesel based trucks, right ?
And you have also skipped smoking, right ?

I’m sure you all have with your spotless perfect moral riding on your high horses LOL

I am glad you have found and like this alternative. Enjoy your gin and tonic in peace. Bought a hybrid, don’t smoke, and am far, far, far from perfect. I would love to have an EV, but the distances in Texas are so great it would simply not be workable. I am thinking about a used BMW i3 for around town.

1 Like

Had to look up vibrio. Sounds well worth avoiding even in moderation.

1 Like

True, but not everyone wants to try making their normal pans non-stick. The personal experience adds encouragement to the suggestion. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m in the same spot, kid-wise. Maybe I need to get their friends to tell them (instead of me?)

2 Likes

Maybe - my oldest daughter’s MIL is pretty anti-NS and may rub off on her. And one of 4 (my 3rd daughter) has a lot of inflammatory issues and won’t use non-stick, and she’s pretty good with the stainless (much better than I am for eggs). So she’s bugged her younger brother a bit about his preference for using the NS skillet. I do have an old NS straight-sided saucier which, on a few minutes reflection, I still use a lot more than I thought I did. It’s not really NS anymore, it’s just a handy shape. I should replace it at some point.[1]

I use the stainless for hard searing meats sometimes and sauces, but for everyday frying tend more toward a seasoned CS and a larger hard anodized aluminum that also takes seasoning fairly well (not as well as cast iron or CS, but it’s fairly durable and easy enough to re-do when needed).

I think I’m going to try to put a bit of seasoning on one of my larger stainless per the article you posted and see how I like it. I’ll try their method first (let the hot oil sit until cool, wipe out) and also the more usual method for me (wipe hot pan with a towel having just a dab of oil on it, which is how I do the CS, cast, and heavy aluminum).

[1] I do have this 36cm hard anodized pan that’s similar to the saucier, but it’s so big I only use it for paella (last night) and really large gratins, like if I need 8-10 servings. Otherwise it hides way up above the fridge where I tend to forget about it.

1 Like

That’s fine. I’m not here to tell anyone what to do. I’ll make suggestions based on my own experience(s). :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll say that my seasoned tinned copper is even more non-stick than my seasoned SS, and has the added benefit of better-than-aluminum heat response/control. :wink:

I think the epicurean equivalent to frikadeller in Hawaii might be musubi? :thinking:

Not really sure why you feel folks are being sanctimonious in this thread? Some of us are concerned about the concept of “Better Living Through Chemistry” and are voicing opinions. But that’s all that’s happening. If we start a conversation about BEVs, I’ll say how much I love my Chevrolet Bolt. (And this is from a 25-year Saab owner!) And, I’ve never smoked, but I certainly know how bad it is for any person. If I’m human, I have faults and weaknesses.

1 Like

It is extremely scary. The way most people cook scallops, still sort of translucent except for the crust, is not hot enough (145 F) to kill it. A guy in San Diego died, supposedly from an undercooked scallop in a restaurant. I say supposedly because the wrongful death suit was settled.

I think any EV would be great as an around-town car! If they sold them here in the US, I’d consider getting a Microlino as a 2nd car to my EV. At 143 miles range and 56 mph, it would fill probably 80% of my vehicle needs. And only $15,500! I got a Chevy Bolt last September and its 300 mile usable range is enough to allow me to sell my last gasoline car (a 2002 Saab 9-3), and fills probably 99% of my driving needs. But I hear ya on trying to cross vast swaths of unimproved American wasteland! I wanted to take the Bolt across Wyoming, but there’s simply no infrastructure to support it in a reasonable fashion. We’re certainly not up to Europe’s level of BEV support.

3 Likes

You have my full attention - yikes

Two nights ago, we dined with a widow whose husband was taken by mad cow disease from a dietary source.

That is indeed a devastating thing. You only hear of it these days when you donate blood and they run through the list of things that will disqualify donors. So sorry for the loss.

I picked up one of those for my wife and she loves that thing. $15 or something. My main pssing match with nonstick is lifespan. I stay in AirB&Bs/Vrbos when I travel with family. Every damn one seems to have the same shredded nonstick pans. I don’t want that stuff in my food. If NS is your thing, so be it. SS will come with a learning curve.

1 Like

I’d always advocate stainless for most things, and believe what you are cooking can be done in that just fine

Stir fry noodles? I haven’t even been able to pull that off (no pun) consistently in carbon steel much less stainless, although I know it is possible with cs using burners far more industrial than I have. If there is a way to make a stir fry dish with noodles in stainless steel without them sticking I’d love to see it, because that is one of my main drivers for owning that one cliche nonstick pan. Fried mama ftw.

Do you use oil?

Bring your pan up to heat (where a drop of water dances) then add oil, swirl it around so it coats evenly, then add noodles and other fixins.

Does that not work for you?

Of course! I have no problem stir frying proteins, veggies, etc. but noodles eventually stick and burn.

I own two woks currently - a Demeyere 7-ply (stainless steel and aluminum in 7 separate layers) and a Demeyere Alu Pro non stick wok.

When I make a noodle stir fry dish at home (so no wok hei of course) I make sure to boil my egg- or rice noodles as per instruction on the package - this will help to remove some of the starch from the noodles and this will help you to avoid the noodles from sticking in a stainless steel wok.

Once my noodles have been boiled as per the instructions - I remove them from the water and place them in a bowl. I then moist the noodles with a teaspoon or two of toasted sesame oil and trun the noodles around, so all the noodles are moistened with the sesame oil. This will add great flavour to the noodles and it also helps avoiding the noodles from sticking to the pan.

As long as you have a proper high heat in the wok and you use a high heat oil, the noodles should not stick to the wok. If they do, turn the heat up a bit more and add a bit more oil to the noodles and start to jump saute the noodles continuously. Jump sauteing will prevent sticking in most cases.

1 Like

Speaking of which, this was her result after 3 orders of scrambled eggs, one each for her, me, and my son (hers plain salt, the other 2 of us like various additions). Would have ended up a lot messier had I been the cook.

PS this in an AllClad SS thrift purchased pan. I think I paid $11 and it had nary a scratch.

3 Likes

I’ve bought this stainless steel triply frypan from Avias and it is really great. After 2 months of use, I’ve tested it with many dishes and it sustains well. A little bit of oil is required for a good non-stick experience, also slow heat cooking is best for stainless steel cookware!

2 Likes

I don’t understand what the obsession with non-stick is, particularly with scrambled eggs. Butter works fine for me.

4 Likes