Which cookware is best Stainless Steel frypan or Non-Stick frypan?

Thanks for the detailed review, I can see that you have a good amount of experience with cookware and I’m using expensive stainless steel cookware and only 2 non-stick pans which I got from Amazon! As you said I’m trying to baby the whole cookware set so it’ll be good for the long run. Ceramic non-stick pans are too expensive in my country so I went with normal ones.
As of now, I won’t cook a lot so I’m using Avias triply cookware but in the future, I’ll get the 5-ply or 7-ply!

1 Like

Yes, it can be based on the manufacturer!

This is nice, how’s the life of this pan?

I doubt you could wear it out. At under $15 for a very useful size, it would not be near the risk of many pricier but also durable pans.

2 Likes

I’m currently using this one - https://aviasworld.com/collections/riara-triply-range

1 Like

Looks great. The one place where I think disc beats multiply clad is thickness. 4 or 5 mm of aluminum on the bottom will generally out perform a thinner layer of aluminum sandwiched inside. That said, both are solid options. Also, unclad heavy aluminum is nice. It seasons much more than stainless does.

1 Like

Sounds so great, maybe I’ll get this in the future!

I’d also recommend practicing cooking these items in your SS pan(s). After a bit of use, or intentional seasoning, SS can be reasonably non-stick.

If you’re concerned about health, the small amount of fat used to coat your pan during cooking is going to be much healthier than exposing yourself long-term to the heat-related breakdown of non-stick coatings. I worked for several years in a facility that used PTFE as an additive in a variety of plastic seals and bearings. I saw the effects of workers and wildlife exposed to the gases released by the heat of the fusing process. Because of this, I will always avoid using non-stick pans.

7 Likes

I hope every member of HO will read this, take it to heart, and spread the word. I typically use about a half teaspoon peanut oil in a carbon steel pan , heat it and spread it around with a spatula, and pour off any excess (into my compost collection pan). Nothing sticks, not even over easy eggs. Today is handled pancakes perfectly. Thank thank you!

5 Likes

The thing is, you’ve argued why SS or other pans show why one doesn’t (generally) need nonstick pans.

I don’t need them for anything, but I still need to wean my kids off them for scrambled eggs…

I’m a courageous fool and will keep on cooking in my beloved non-stick cookware for certain specific food types.

I know you can cook eggs and other delicate items in stainless steel cookware with the right technique, but this technique demands further more attention and focus to the pan while cooking, using more oil/fat and a more precise heat control.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my stainles steel cokware too - but not for reheating second day risotto or second day frittatta, just to name a few examples where non stick cookware is second to none for me.

How dare your firsthand experience intrude on my confirmation/complacency bias!

2 Likes

thanks for this information. It is very useful and I don’t have to use non-stick cookware. Also, a limited amount of oil is fine and good for health!

2 Likes

Well hello Mr. Sarcasm Troll.

Can’t say I’ve missed you one little bit.

Non stick pans and Gin & Tonic are my guilty pleasures in life and I wouldn’t want to live without them. Even if they will shorten my life.

Now go home to your ‘beach house’ and cook some frikadeller in your copper pans.

2 Likes

What do you regard as unhealthy food?

I’m not being sarcastic but am interested in knowing first what you like but just as much what you don’t fancy (time, maintenance, etc.). Most people who mention healthy and chicken breast are probably low-fuss types, and I’d suggest learning how to spot good-conditioned non-stick at thrift stores. But I’m not sure that’s what you need.

I am veering away from “non-stick” frying pans because they cannot be placed in a dishwasher even when the manufacturers claim they are dishwasher safe. The non-stick coating comes off and who knows that micro-plastics will then be released into the food. At some point in the near future I will replace my current frying pan with a stainless steel one that I will then season properly and thereafter only ever give it a wipeout not chuck it in the dishwasher.

1 Like

As long as you are not driving, gin and tonic poses no threat to anyone. I do not believe you can say that about the manufacture of nonstick pans or, if they were made using forever chemicals, their impact on the environment (and diners’ consumption thereof). I am sure I have things I love that, fully illuminated and understood, I might drop for environmental, health, or ethical reasons, but I try to keep informed and address such issues when they pop up.

2 Likes

The absolute best (for me) pan for cooking eggs in any manner has been a cheap little carbon steel crepe pan. In addition to its nonstick properties when very lightly oiled, the extremely low lip, maybe a half inch and flared, makes getting a spatula under the eggs incredibly easy. The only better way I know of is a big flat top like a short order cook uses (also bare steel lightly oiled/seasoned).

3 Likes

I regard unhealthy food as too much of anything and an imbalanced diet. Oh, and seafood with vibrio.

2 Likes

Nice as ever, Claus.

Unsurprising, since your own pleasure is all that matters to you.